V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on vacation for 2 weeks. I rode my Harley to see my family. I'll spare you the details of my family visits but I also did a lot of sight seeing along the way. During my trip I visited the following National Parks:
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Devils Tower
Mount Rushmore
Rocky Mountain National Park.

Here's a GPS map of my route:
Spotwalla Route of 5 National Parks and 8 States

I just got back yesterday.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I woke up early August 31st and had breakfast. I headed north out of Durango on Highway 550 through the mountains. I saw these Big Horn Sheep on the side of the road.

Highway 550 north of Durango is the "Million Dollar Highway". It's one of the greatest motorcycle highways in the US but it's so close to my home that I didn't take many pictures of it.

I headed north to the northwestern corner of Colorado. I took highway 139.

Highway 139 took me over Douglas Pass.

Here's a view looking back the way I came from.

Then I got on Highway 40 and headed west to Utah.

When I reached Vernal Utah I turned north to the Flaming Gorge area of SW Wyoming.

This is the Flaming Gorge Reservoir on the Green River. It's the largest reservoir in Wyoming.

It's beautiful terrain near Flaming Gorge.

Then I headed north along the border of Idaho and Wyoming.

I saw this mountain at Cokeville WY.

At 6:30 pm I checked into a motel in Afton WY near the Idaho border. I've been riding for 11 hours and covered 606 miles.

To be continued ...

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Mr. Dave I always liked your stories and upon seeing this one I was like oh boy Durango Dave has another one. Alas with this new format I can't see any of your pictures with my phone. I'm going to miss your adventures, bye.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
September 1st

I left my motel and headed north. I followed the Snake River.

Then I went up the Teton Pass highway just because my Butler Motorcycle map rated it so high.

Next I entered the Grand Teton National Park. The entry fee was $30. I bought an annual entrance fee for $70. I could use this to enter any National Park up to a year from now. My annual fee paid for itself on this trip alone. It would have cost $150 to pay for each park separately that I went to on this one trip. That would have almost been twice as much.

The above picture is of the Grand Teton, the largest mountain in the picture. To the left are the South Teton and the Middle Teton. The Teton mountains were named by French trappers. Grand Teton is French and literally means the grand t*t. I honestly don't see the resemblance. To tell you the truth I think it's been a while since these Frenchmen have been with a woman.

This is Mount Moran.

From the Grand Teton National Park I went directly into Yellowstone National Park.
Here's Old Faithful

This next picture is of the Old Faithful Inn.

This was Labor Day Weekend, not a good time to visit Yellowstone. The traffic was terrible and Yellowstone is a HUGE park. It covers a large part of northwestern Wyoming. Driving across Yellowstone at 35 miles an hour is like driving across New Jersey at that speed. I was planning on staying in Yellowstone for another day but changed my plans and headed for the northeastern park entrance.

There were lots of Bison (don't call them buffalo. They get very sensitive if you don't use the politically correct term).

I left Yellowstone Park.

I use Butler Motorcycle maps to plan my route. Beartooth Pass is a great motorcycle road well worth tracking down.

Beartooth Highway goes up over some rocky mountains.

Here's a lake near the top of Beartooth Pass.

I have to reach my motel in Cody Wyoming. I'd like to get there before dark but it's getting late.
I take Highway 296, also called the Chief Joseph Highway.

This is another great motorcycle road.

I get into Cody WY just as the sun is going down. I don't like riding after dark. You can't see the scenery and the risk of hitting wildlife increases.

I like Cody. It's a small western town that reminds me of Durango. The restaurants are locally owned with few chains.

This is my home for the night.

To be continued ...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
September 2nd

I left Cody WY and headed east. I used Alternate Highway 14 to go over the Bighorn mountains.

I got on Interstate 90 and headed east. I turned north to see the Devils Tower.

From Devils Tower it's not far east to the Black Hills of South Dakota.

I went to Spearfish SD and then went south through Spearfish Canyon. This is a great motorcycle road.

My horn started to sound feeble. I just replaced the horn last year so I decided to pull over and check the connection. One wire to the horn was broken and only held on by a couple of wire strands. I pulled into Sturgis and went to a hardware store. I bought a crimp-on tool and connectors and repaired my horn in the parking lot.

I got a motel in Sturgis.
I rode 451.8 miles today.

To be continued ....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm staying in Sturgis South Dakota so I need to check out the town. I go to the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame.

This next picture is a 1922 Ace Inline 4

1912 Flying Merkel

1905 Harley Davidson Strap Tank Single

I spent 2 days in the Black Hills area. Here's just a few of the pictures I shot there.

I stayed in Custer South Dakota.

To be continued ....

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Another post to follow, thanks Dave.
Two quick questions, do you stop to take all the pictures? How do you know remember what picture was take where to put together these great write-ups?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sweet trip DD. I will be out that way with my buddy Steve in May 2020. We're heading out to visit a friend of ours for his son's college graduation. They're in Evergreen, CO. We plan on spending a week in the front range, then heading north and west covering much of these same tracks. I really appreciate the preview and I'm taking notes. You're rides are always filed with great pics and a good list of roads to travel.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another post to follow, thanks Dave.
Two quick questions, do you stop to take all the pictures? How do you know remember what picture was take where to put together these great write-ups?
Thanks. I stop for most of the pictures. I used to ride with a digital SLR in a pelican case in my Tour Pak. It took a while to get it out. Now I have a Canon G9X. It's a small point and shoot camera. I ride with it around my neck. When I stop I can quickly take a picture and head out again. I also take a lot of pictures while riding. I just point and shoot. I don't zoom in or anything. I can crop with Photoshop when I get home.

I use my GPS map to find out where I was when I took a picture. I check the time on my pictures. On my SpotWalla map I can click on any waypoint to see the time I was there. That helps me figure out where I was for any picture I don't remember.
Here's my GPS map: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1ff4d5d697e0209bed&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
Usually I can just look at my GPS map but sometimes I ride past a mountain or other landform that has no sign. I can then use my map to find out where I was.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
September 4th

I have breakfast and leave the Black Hills at 8:00 am. I take highway 44 and go through the Badlands.

When I enter the park there is no one there to pay the park fee. They say to pay at the visitors center or as you leave the park. This is another National Park so the annual card I purchased is good for here too so I don't need to hunt anyone down to give a payment to.

I have just now noticed that I did not count this National Park when I started this thread. On this trip I have been to 6 National Parks. I don't think I can change the name of the thread but I'll see if I can edit my original post.

As a correction I visited the following National Parks:
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Devils Tower
Mount Rushmore
The Badlands
Rocky Mountain National Park.

After leaving the Badlands I head east across South Dakota. It's already noon and I have a long way to go.

I pull off the Interstate to get gas in Oacoma SD. It's 3:00 pm and I'm hungry. I pull into a restaurant called Al's Oasis for a late lunch (or is it an early dinner?). I need to find a motel but I hope to get a lot more miles behind me first. I'd like to ride until sunset but no later. Riding after dark is no fun. I can't see the scenery and there is a greater risk of hitting wildlife.
I use my smart phone to get a motel in Waseca Minnesota but that means I'll arrive half an hour after sunset.

I ride across South Dakota and southern Minnesota. I make better time than expected and arrive at my motel in Waseca Minnesota before sunset. I used to live here and I raised two boys here. I have since divorced and the boys are grown. I'll see them tomorrow.

to be continued...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's a damn crying shame that I can't see the pictures that you have been kind enough to post for us.....

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
It's a damn crying shame that I can't see the pictures that you have been kind enough to post for us.....

It is not that bad Norm admin said in another thread that they going to fix the picture deal when they get around to it. Just have figure out what button to push. Eny mini mighty mo.lol.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It is not that bad Norm admin said in another thread that they going to fix the picture deal when they get around to it. Just have figure out what button to push. Eny mini mighty mo.lol.

Well Cap, at my age I don't know if I can afford to wait that long....
Might be faster to follow his route and take my own damn pictures!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That sounds like an excellent plan! I wish I could do the same.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts

Why don't you make a delivery with your big truck out there and you have a motel room in the cab. Take the pics and line them up with Dave's narrative. I have to say Dave should have been an author and I will come back to this thread when the picture fiasco is over.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Well Mr. Dave I followed Norms advice and viewed your thread using web view. Great pictures as always and a nice read this morning.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While in Minnesota I saw my two sons and my daughter in-law. We stayed at Sakatah Lake. We had a great time on the lake and the surrounding land.
548 8th - Sakatah Bay Resort (Large).jpg

I stayed in Minnesota for 4 days.

To be continued ...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then I rode the long way to Omaha Nebraska. It took almost 7 hours. I spent a few more days there visiting with my siblings and parents.

To be continued...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I left Omaha and headed west across Nebraska. There isn't much in Nebraska but I did stop at the Classic Car Collection in Kearney Nebraska. It's well worth it to stop at this museum.

I took lots of pictures here but I'll post only a few.

Here's a 1940 Cadillac Fleetwood

This little sports car is a 1962 Daimler SP-250. This thing has a Hemi V8! Not a Dodge Hemi, it's made by Daimler. This thing had lots of power but the frame would flex too much. If you hit bumps when going around a curve the doors would fly open.

This next car is a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner but the signs next to it were wrong. 2 signs in front of this car said it was a 1970 AMC AMX. I told the staff and the moved the signs behind the car.

I rode on and stayed in Cheyenne WY.

I rode 512 miles today.

To be continued...

·
Registered
787 Posts
I believe the last car is a 69 Dodge Super Bee with the A12 order option... 440 sixpack, fiberglass lift off hood, hemi 4speed, 9 3/4 dana rear with 4:10 butt gears...
Potentially a 100K car in todays market

1 - 20 of 31 Posts