V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used factory oil filters that I believe were rated at 10 micron since 04. New hd filter for twin cam is rated at 5 microns. Anybody have any info if flow rate is effected? Also can get k&n or amsoil filters locally; anyone know their micron ratings for tc filters? Thanks

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
The K&N is by far the best of the 3 filters you mentioned. The K&N has roughly 161cm of media, followed by the Amsoil at 121, and then the wet sock crap filters that the MOCO offer. The Amsoil looks just like a stock HD filter if you are going for the stock look, but the K&N has a very handy nut on the end that is easy to use to get the used filter off with. Sure, you can buy one of the 20 dollar filter wrenchs for the stock HD or Amsoil, but why bother. A strap wrench works better. The K&N however has the handy nut that most everyones toolbox will have a socket in it to fit.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
The K&N has roughly 161cm of media, followed by the Amsoil at 121, and then the wet sock crap filters that the MOCO offer.
Fatb0y
Would you happen to know how many microns the 161cm of media the K&N filter has?

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Used factory oil filters that I believe were rated at 10 micron since 04. New hd filter for twin cam is rated at 5 microns. Anybody have any info if flow rate is effected? Also can get k&n or amsoil filters locally; anyone know their micron ratings for tc filters? Thanks

The flow rate of the 5 micron filter is suppose to be higher cause they have more of the 5 micron holes, where as the 10 micron let more crap through with less holes.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Keep in mind that a red blood cell is 5 microns in diameter....so the 10 micron particles are pretty tiny also. (A human hair is 70 microns in diameter) Essentially, if you are filtering everything 10 microns and larger...I would think engine wear and damage are negligible. A 10 micron filter also catches a lot of particulate smaller than 10. Just rambling.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
The micron ratings mean nothing unless they tell you how it is tested. It is all marketing hype if they don't give you that info. As far as the HD 10 micron filters it is at nominal value, which means 10 micron at 50%. Amsoil's filters are in the 15 micron at 96% rating and their new filters to be introduced in a few months using nano fiber filtration technology will be 15 micron at 98.7%. There is no filters on the market presently that can match that and still have great oil flow. As far as the K&N the nut is great for maintenance, but is it great for your engine protection. I don't know because they don't seem to be straight forward with that info. Can anyone get the tech info on their products?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Filter wrench?

Ive changed alot of oil filters in my day, and Im wondering about the use of a wrench at all. The specs say the filt should be turned 3/4 turn after the seal makes contact. Thats not tight enough to NEED a wrench to loosen it, unless its access is limited for some reason. I dont use Fram filt, but the grit they put on their filters gives excellent grip, and allows easy removal without any tools. Even oily hands are no problem.
I think if your having to use a tool to remove your filter, you might check your torque specs. You may be overtightening the filter. A dab of oil on the seal(Gawd! Everybody knows that!) and a snug up by hand is all you need if you get the 3/4 turn in. after contact.
So a nut on the filt is somewhat redundant, and you pay for that.
The micron thing is equally redundant in my book. If in doubt, change your filt twice before you actually change the oil. Those fine micron filters just clog up quicker and youre right back in where you started.And you pay more for that too!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stick to my guns

Ill stay with what I said. Ive rarely had to use a "tool" to undo a filter. That includes alot of cars, trucks, bikes, etc that Ive serviced. I even oil the threads on the filter a tad, if maybe that helps to get em started on.
I might add, Ive never lost one either, or felt that one was too loose when I removed it. So, perhaps I just have "the touch". The only exclusion is if access is limited that you cant get leverage on it. My dresser is tuff, but I still can grab hold, but then, too, my name IS Skinnyass, and my hands may be smaller than yours.
My wife says I have a "gentle" touch, Ha!!:boobies:

Remember, too tight distorts the gasket, could cause leaks. Try more oil on the gasket, and feel for when the seal touches(the filt wont spin freely anymore), then turn it 3/4 turn only!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does anyone know what is the rating for a Wix filter that would be used on a Harley? I have used them ion my truck, and considering trying them on by bike!
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I use CARQUEST Filters on my wifes 94 Sportster 883 and my 92 Electraglide U/C. These filters are the same as Wix and Napa. Wix private labels for both Napa and CARQUEST, the only difference is the ink on the can.

These filters are designed to meet or exceed the mfg. specs and are warranted from defects by Wix. The Wix/CQ/Napa Premium Filters are top quality filters. One of the key components is the silicone antidrainback valve. This is an essential piece since the filter is mounted horizontally and this valve keeps the oil from draining back into the crankcase causing a dry start condition while the filter fills with on on the next start up.

As for all of the talk about micron ratings - all filters will filter 5 micron, or even 1 micron. The true test is what is the efficiency at 5 micron, 10 micron. If it stops a 1 micron particle in testing, that doesn't mean it is efficient at stopping 1 micron particles. Also 98% efficient isn't 3% better than 95%.

I do not use the chrome filters as they are purchased from outside vendors, while the black filters are made in Gastonia, NC at one of the Wix Mfg Facilities.

Same thing goes with other chrome filters - make sure they are not mfg. in Taiwan or China. I have cut open many Chrome filters and have yet to find on that is of what i call suitable quality. Wix filters are now black, but were white at one time. I had a friend that got a spray can of paint to match his bike. He removed the ink with acetone and then painted the filter to match the color of his bike.

The jest of this reply is - Use a quality filter - Use a quality oil - Change it on regular basis. It is a small price to pay for longevity of the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
larryskydives said:
I use CARQUEST Filters on my wifes 94 Sportster 883 and my 92 Electraglide U/C. These filters are the same as Wix and Napa. Wix private labels for both Napa and CARQUEST, the only difference is the ink on the can.

These filters are designed to meet or exceed the mfg. specs and are warranted from defects by Wix. The Wix/CQ/Napa Premium Filters are top quality filters. One of the key components is the silicone antidrainback valve. This is an essential piece since the filter is mounted horizontally and this valve keeps the oil from draining back into the crankcase causing a dry start condition while the filter fills with on on the next start up.

As for all of the talk about micron ratings - all filters will filter 5 micron, or even 1 micron. The true test is what is the efficiency at 5 micron, 10 micron. If it stops a 1 micron particle in testing, that doesn't mean it is efficient at stopping 1 micron particles. Also 98% efficient isn't 3% better than 95%.

I do not use the chrome filters as they are purchased from outside vendors, while the black filters are made in Gastonia, NC at one of the Wix Mfg Facilities.

Same thing goes with other chrome filters - make sure they are not mfg. in Taiwan or China. I have cut open many Chrome filters and have yet to find on that is of what i call suitable quality. Wix filters are now black, but were white at one time. I had a friend that got a spray can of paint to match his bike. He removed the ink with acetone and then painted the filter to match the color of his bike.

The jest of this reply is - Use a quality filter - Use a quality oil - Change it on regular basis. It is a small price to pay for longevity of the engine.
You seem to have a good handle on filtration. Do you work in the industry?

·
Registered
792 Posts
george douglas said:
...Amsoil's ... new filters to be introduced in a few months using nano fiber filtration technology will be 15 micron at 98.7%.
George, it's been a few months, is there any update on the new nano filters and any data you can share?

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
HDSG said:
George, can you tell me when the new filter will be available? Soon I hope.
They are suppose to be introduced next month. They will be 15 micron at 98.7% beta tested. No other filters on the market can compare at this time. The harley filter is 5 micron at nominal value, which really doesn't mean much in the filter industry when testing is conducted at nominal values. The problem with the low oil pressure designed harley engine is using a filter that does not hurt oil flow, but still can catch small contaminants.

I am working my way back from my Alaskan trip and right now I am camping at a RV site in your town of Santa Clarita california. I will be here for a couple of days so if you are out riding give me a call at 321-663-5391. would like to meet you.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
As for Micron ratings, they are several test methods. Not one filter manufacturer is explaining their test methods, or flow rates, but some claim their filter will capture say 5, 10 or 15 micron sized particles. 1 inch is equal to 25,400 microns! Particles smaller than 10 microns are visible under a microscope, and particles seen on furniture in your home and floating in a ray of sunlight are probably 50 microns or larger, although 10 micron particles can be seen under favorable conditions.
My best advice is to change your air filter, oil and oil filter at reguler intervals, use a quality oil and filters, (try to avoid the Chinese made products) and don't worry about it. One last note, this new filter George is talking about, uses the latest materials that are taking the filtration industry to a whole new level. Keep you eyes out for it, and I hope George will let us know when it is available. NO, I don't know George, use Amsoli or work for Amsoil!

·
Registered
792 Posts
George! it's now "next month" and I see "ea" on the AMSoil website.

What can you tell us?

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
gdkenoyer said:
George! it's now "next month" and I see "ea" on the AMSoil website.

What can you tell us?
Here is some of the verbiage from the specs sheet of the new filters. I have already been placing orders for these filters for forum members and the price of the chrome ones for the harleys are only $11.50 each. This new nano fiber technolgy really works as I just came off nearly a 11,000 mile trip in my diesel motorhome to Alaska. Before the trip I replaced the by-pass and full flow filters using this new technology. The black dirty looking diesel oil already had 12,000 miles and one year of service before heading out. The black oil cleaned up considerably, which I didn't really expect to happen. I just sent in some used oil to a lab to see how it performed, but seeing with the naked eye was something. These new filters have the ability to take out up to 39% soot. I know this doesn't mean anything to a biker, but this does show how good they are at doing the job an oil filter is suppose to do. Until this new nano fiber stuff came out filter companies had to compromise between oil flow and filtration to avoid resticting oil flow. Now they can close the gap between this compromise. I don't know how long it will be before other filter companies start designing their filters like the Amsoil ones.

Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters
AMSOIL INC. revolutionized the filtration industry with its introduction of AMSOIL Ea Air and Ea Oil Filters. For the first time exclusive nanofiber technology – the same technology used in the Abrams M1 tank and other heavy duty applications – was made available for automotive applications. Now, AMSOIL has made this outstanding new technology available for motorcycles.

Nanofiber Basics
Because the nanofibers in AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filter media are so small, there are more pores per square inch, allowing for higher dirt-holding capacity and lower pressure drop compared to traditional filter medias. Thinner media fibers produce more uniform pore size distribution, improving the filter’s overall ability to capture and retain particles.

Oil Filtration Basics
Clean oil is vital to engine performance and durability. Oil must lubricate, cool and clean the engine as it circulates. In order to remain effective, it must be filtered as it cycles. The filter is connected to the engine sump, which contains the oil pump. Full-flow filters pass all the oil output from the pump through the filter.

The function of the oil filter is to remove the contaminants introduced into the lubricating oil and prevent them from reaching sensitive engine parts without restricting normal oil flow to the various points requiring lubrication. Internal sources of contamination include wear products from the rubbing surfaces of the engine, blow-by gases leaking past the rings of the pistons and degradation of the oil itself. A filter must perform well in the areas of efficiency, capacity, flow and life.

Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters
Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters feature a specially constructed silicone anti-drainback valve and a nitrile sealing gasket to go along with the full-synthetic Ea nanofiber media. The anti-drainback valve provides excellent protection during startup and remains flexible in all temperatures, and the nitrile sealing gasket resists chemical breakdown, providing excellent durability and ensuring long filter life. AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters are fluted for easy removal from the motorcycle and are available in a chrome-plated alternative to the normal black filters.

Superior Filtration
The unique construction and full-synthetic media of AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters allow them to provide unmatched performance in motorcycles and other power sports equipment. EaOM Filters last longer, stop smaller dirt particles and offer less restriction than other filters. Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters provide filtering efficiency of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, outperforming the best cellulose/synthetic blend media on the market.

Superior Alternative, Multiple Applications
AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters provide unsurpassed protection for motorcycles, ATVs, four-stroke personal watercraft, four-stroke snowmobiles and four-stroke outboards. AMSOIL is producing an initial offering of 16 Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters manufactured for the most popular power sports applications. Eight of the 16 filters are chrome plated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts