V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost time for the 5,000 mile service on my '02 Sporty. I checked the service manual and it appears that the main thing that needs to be done is change the oil, filter, and sport trans fluid. Everything else seems to be just an inspection and lubrication of some parts. Is this correct?

My local dealer charges $170 for this service. My rough estimate is that I can buy the supplies and change the oil and sport trans fluid myself for about $20-$30.

Is there anything significant or technical that would be best done by the dealer that would justify the cost or should I do the service myself?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did most of the 5,000 miles service myself. I bought the belt tension tester tool, dial air pressure gauge, and other little odds and end basic tools needed to do the service. Still had money left over from what I would have spent on them doing it. They did the oil change because it was only $19.95. This also gives me proof it was done by them. I changed the primary oil myself.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you are doing your own services, you need to keep a logbook for warranty purposes. The log should have listed everything you do and the date it's done on. Keep all receipts and records. If you ever need to use your warr and they won't cover it, you might have to fight for your self. In a court of law the logbook becomes FACT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts