V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all, have been told that 06 to 2010 Dyna frames have the same neck as earler yrs. Is this correct? would like to fit a 49mm mid glide front end to my 99 Fxdl, would like to choose the route with the least modifications to the trees as possible.
All help greatly appreaciated, Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Should be easy enough just need the triple trees and forks, the axle size will be different also but all parts should be available stock. I just did a wideglide conversion on mine, but I used Fatbob trees(same rake) and used a cruiser wheel with twin brembo brakes. Any things possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
easiest least expensive method would be to buy a complete take off front end,,, and change it all..
Yeah have been offered complete FXDLS front end, and wheels. I realize the fork lock becomes redundant, no idea if the stem is too long or short though

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should be easy enough just need the triple trees and forks, the axle size will be different also but all parts should be available stock. I just did a wideglide conversion on mine, but I used Fatbob trees(same rake) and used a cruiser wheel with twin brembo brakes. Any things possible.
The triple tree stem need any mods, or straight drop in affair?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have several friends that have done this. The 49mm fork will bolt on to any EVO era frame regardless of model. Nothing from an EVO era 39mm fork is transferable over to the 49, at least not without a **** ton of fab work. Harley makes this 49mm trees in a two different rakes. One with zero degrees of rake and another with a couple of degrees of rake. Everyone I know used the zero degree rake trees. Not sure which models from Harley used which 49 trees, but there is plenty of open source information available to figure it out. Only real custom piece will be the brake line. Maybe. And the paint for the front fender. I hope someone asks about using their existing 39mm fender on the 49mm forks. That would be funny.

The 49mm forks are obviously going to be much stiffer than the 39mm stuff and right off the floor from Harley will have more refinements than the 39mm stuff. The real benefit is the upgrades that are available to them compared to what is available for the 39mm forks.

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have several friends that have done this. The 49mm fork will bolt on to any EVO era frame regardless of model. Nothing from an EVO era 39mm fork is transferable over to the 49, at least not without a **** ton of fab work. Harley makes this 49mm trees in a two different rakes. One with zero degrees of rake and another with a couple of degrees of rake. Everyone I know used the zero degree rake trees. Not sure which models from Harley used which 49 trees, but there is plenty of open source information available to figure it out. Only real custom piece will be the brake line. Maybe. And the paint for the front fender. I hope someone asks about using their existing 39mm fender on the 49mm forks. That would be funny.

The 49mm forks are obviously going to be much stiffer than the 39mm stuff and right off the floor from Harley will have more refinements than the 39mm stuff. The real benefit is the upgrades that are available to them compared to what is available for the 39mm forks.

Good luck with the project.
I disagree with the later half of your reply. 49mm can be done but not designed for this bike frame geo. I'm sure its bot a huge difference but the frame on later bikes were bigger, wider, longer, and had 180mm rear tires with wider rims. The 39mm fully adjustable fork with gold valves or race tech valves still made with many options today is the best of the best HD ever hade and is why its still used today. The gains on adding the odd 49mm fork to a thin frame will bot be much in performance at all. Money would be better spent on a 39mm adjustable or inverted maybe an inverted GSXR mod. But the 49mm 👎 in my opinion. I owned 2 49mm bikes 08' then 10' hated both bikes from day 1. Bikes went from nimble to 4 door boats. There are loads of write ups on the 39mm floating around for more details.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here's a link to my post on the XL Forum on how I upgraded my front end on my 06 XL883. The pre 06 Dyna's all came from the factory with the same front end as on a Sportster so this article gets into all the technical details I had to go thru to install the 49mm forks on my Sporty: Sportster Fork Upgrade - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® In addition to installing 49mm Dyna Fatbob forks on Street Bob triple trees I installed an XR1200 Sportster front wheel with 300mm late model H-D rotors and made adapters to run the dual 6 piston Suzuki Hayabusa calipers. The main problem with this change over is that the alumimum flange at the rear of the bottom triple tree which has the Dyna Street Bob's steering lock had to be bobbed to clear the Sporty frame. Not sure if this is a problem on the pre 06 Dyna frames. All this is explained in my post. The front axles between the 39mm and 49mm forks are different and the 06 and up axles come in two sizes 1.000" and 25mm. Don't get them mixed up or you'll have to swap out your wheel bearings and spacers. If you have to run your old wheel [and there's nothing wrong with this] then you probably have have a machine shop turn you down a custom front axle.
On the raked front ends only the V-Rods ran a raked triple tree with 3 degrees of rake IIRC. V-Rods ran 49mm forks too. All the 49mm Dynas ran a zero rake triple tree to my knowledge. You can run the V-Rod forks in a Dyna triple tree with no problem except they're shorter. Best to use Dyna fork tubes if you do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wide glide run a raked triple tree, if that's what your after. Wide glide tubes are also 2" longer( because of the rake).
I ran fat Bob triple trees to keep the handling good, put wide glide tubes to give me more clearance cornering. Of course to keep my rake acceptable I ran 13 3/4" rear shocks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just check out my 87 H-D FXRC. It's got an H-D triple tree from a 49mm Wide Glide or Dyna Fat Bob and it has no rake whatsoever. The only Harley that I know of that had the 49mm forks which were raked was the V-Rod to my knowledge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts