V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The father-in-law has a 47 knucklehead in his garage also but the numbers on it are gone. He has owned it for 25+ years, the wife remembers it from then but he repainted it then so it might have been one that he has owned for 35+ years.

The bike needs work, it turns with the kick start. But the gauge cluster is gone, needs new cables a good over haul to say the least. No title that we can find , he rode it up untill 2013 when he bought his 06. We think he used numbers and a title to a junk bike he had for parts to register it .

My question, is there any value to the motorcycle/engine?
From what I read up so far is we would have to title it as a 2020 custom knucklehead, to get new serial numbers for it to even sell it.

Any one have any experience with this kinda stuff?

Thanks !

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Older Harleys have the serial numbers on the engine cases instead of the frame. Maybe you could find them there.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
The engine number was used on pre-1970 bikes. Some states do not title antique vehicles. A registration is all they issue. To transfer it, a bill of sale and the registration is usually needed. Knucklehead is slang name give to the engine design, so you wouldn't title it as a knucklehead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I was half asleep when I posted it lol. No numbers on the frame or engine case , him and his brother repainted the frame and took that kinda stuff off back in the day.

Jmelin, ha ya being tired is a evil mistress. I just don't know the exact model of bike so we refer to it as the "purple 47 knucklehead" lol. That's about all we know of it too unfortunately.

I'll have to call the DMV here and ask them to be sure then.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Post a picture of the left side of the engine case, just above the primary cover. The numbers should be located there. 47 then two letters then four numbers. The letters should be EL or FL. Maybe ES if it was a sidecar bike. If the engine has been painted, scrape the pait of in that area.

If the numbers have been removed, perhaps he was a bit of an outlaw and the bike or parts are stolen.

The letters indicate the model; EL=61 CI, FL= 74 CI, and ES= 61 CI with sidescar. I am not sure if ES was made in '47.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts