V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 ultra has 45 amps of charging power how many extras can I have.I have some electra glo saddle bag lights and a sirius radio that I run. I would like to know if I have enough juice left to run some gerbings heated clothes.(jacket liner and gloves) Do they make a higher output system then the 45 amps or should I be OK ? Thanks
Larry Root
PGR Rider

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Oh man you gonna have to list every item you got.

I have a 32 amp system on my fatboy, and I will run hand grips, full jacket, and passing lamps and thats about it. I can run both jackets for me and the passenger but I choose to turn off the passing lamps.

Just make sure when you are using more then one jacket, or a full set you dont light up the whole rig.

LED Lamps like the electra-glo stuff has very very little current needs, its the lights, heating items, and all that stuff.

Gloves are the same as grips I beleive, so you should be ok if you dont have 1000 lights on the bike.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its stock in the electrical dept other than the sirius and electric glo lights.Is there a way of knowing before it too late if I am taxing the system.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
If thats all you got, I am sure you will be fine.

Some people really trick out the electrical stuff and dont realize what they have done to the load. I broke out the service manual, and the instruction sheets for every accessory on my bike and added everything up and determined that I could still run two full jackets at speed on my bike with every thing on, but I dont want to risk it and turn off the aux lamps.

If all you have is the radio (I assume the addon like cars have) and some electra glo stuff (LED and low current needs), you should be able to run a full suit of heated gear, maybe two with that size of a charging system.

Remember though, unless you are over a specific amount of RPMs you might be using the battery reserve, so in long periods of idle, turn off the gear with the toggle switch. A thermostat will lower the load of the gear.

Guy I ride with has a lanyard around his neck, with the controller hanging from it - One of the best ideas I have ever seen. I just lay mine in my lap on the few days I have to use it. Lanyards have a break away in them so they cant choke you (If they dont, I wouldnt recommend using one as it would really suck to be killed by that if you had an accident).

If you find the need for more juice, look at replacing every running light and your brake light with an LED. That will free up enough for quite a bit of power.

·
Registered
413 Posts
woodmaster said:
its stock in the electrical dept other than the sirius and electric glo lights.Is there a way of knowing before it too late if I am taxing the system.
If you have access to a clamping style AC Amp probe/meter you could place it around one of the two stator wires that exit the motor block. With all of your electrical devices/lights on and with the motor revved up a bit you could determine how many amps your stator has to deliver under such an electrical load. I’d suspect that you wouldn’t want to exceed even 40 Amps continuously on a 45 Amp rated stator, if you want to avoid damaging it.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
The best thing to do is put a voltmeter on the battery leads. Fire up the bike, and turn everything on. Run the RPM up to 1500-2000 and check the voltmeter. If it is 13.8 volts or better, your charging system is keeping up. Lower and you are drawing more than you're putting into the battery.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Lets see... 12v x 40 amps = 480 watts

Find the wattage of each device you'll have turned "ON" and subract. When you get a negative result; you have a problem.

480 Watts - 22watts/glove pair - 55watt/headlight - etc...

You get the idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts