V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with a lot of tuning experience ...

My next door neighbor is in the process of building his 2002 Softail up to a 103" engine. I have a 44MM CV and 45MM Mikuni here at the house which I offered to sell him either one if he wanted ... but "Someone" told him the Super G was the best carb for him.

So ... with 4 of us standing around discussing this .. while doing our best to finish a case of beer ... and at the same time supervising his mechanical prowess, ... it became aparent that none of us had enough experience with all three carbs to adequately answer the questions put forth.

The question's are ... of the 3 ... 44MM CV, 45MM Mikuni, Super G ...

* For all around drivability ... which is the better carb?
* Does one provides better low end?
* Does one provide better high end?
* Which provides the best gas mileage?

The build is basically a Harley 103" kit, HTCC Ported heads, 257 cams, etc, etc ...

Any thoughts?

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
897 Posts
While I don't have alot of tuning experience, I can answer two of those with a fair degree of certainty. The CV will have the best street manners and will also get the best gas mileage. I can also say that it will flow plenty of air for at least 120 HP (I've heard of folks pulling as much as 140 HP through them but I'd venture to say a larger carb would have made more.) My 98" made 112 HP through a CV 44 and that's not bad for such a mild build. It obviously wasn't much of a restriction in my case.

(Warning: the views expressed by this non-expert are his own and are subject to scrutiny by those with far more expertise!...and that's ok by me.)

·
FTF
173 Posts
I like S&S carbs with some small mods. If its a mild 103 I would look at the E. If its a heavy breather I would look at the G. Right around the splitting point there and it depends on the rest of the build specs.

People can flame away. That is my opinion.

Reactions: jerseyjames1228

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like S&S carbs with some small mods. If its a mild 103 I would look at the E. If its a heavy breather I would look at the G. Right around the splitting point there and it depends on the rest of the build specs.

People can flame away. That is my opinion.
I would consider this as a "Medium" build ... only because I don't consider anyhting "All Harley" as a "High Performance build.

SE 260 Cam Specs

Valve Timing Valve Duration Centerline [email protected]
Open/Close Lift
Intake-Exhaust Int/Exh Int Exh Int Exh

SE 257 24/48 - 59/21 252 260 .569 .213” .200”

Sorry, I can't get these to line up properly ... for some reason I can't post the columns properly. He als has a D&D Fatcat exhaust.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Carb

As much as we have worked with S&S carbs, to Thunderjet, bore, increase plenum volume, dyno tune, they will be the worst fuel economy. I would believe that the 45mm Mikuni, while an outstanding carb (as they all are) shold be set aside for something, someday for a build with more "intestinal fortitude".
I'd have to pick the 44 CV as the Cololnel has mentioned, for that particular set-up, for the all around best.
Ken, BTW, a group of us are going up on the "hill" for on last rip on Sunday.
They still have 3 plus ft. of snow(much more over by Montague) and the groomers are out, still.
Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
the softasil is a lighter bike
so it can handle a more agressive carb

the cv can be modified to be more agressive at a COST$$$

the mic is already agressive but maybe a little big for the mill
i dont have the numbers to detirmin that

top end hp is going to be greater with a s&s with the mic coming in 2nd

low end midrange throttle response would be good with all 3 carbs once the cv has been modified
best with the mic if its not to big for the mill next would be the s&s
the cv would be smooth but again for a light bike not needed
i mean you built a light performce bike why put a lazy carb on it

the new s&s dont not have to be modified with thunder jets they come stock with a adjustable air bleed now and throttle response is a lot better then it used to be with little or no flat spots depending on your tune

fuel millage = tune tune tune
but if your looking for a yugo then he schould purchase one
fuel millage and performance never go hand in hand
but a mildly modified cv would be the best for this at a loss of power
again the numbers needed (build info with exhaust and gearing)) to be more accurate are missing in your post

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As much as we have worked with S&S carbs, to Thunderjet, bore, increase plenum volume, dyno tune, they will be the worst fuel economy. I would believe that the 45mm Mikuni, while an outstanding carb (as they all are) shold be set aside for something, someday for a build with more "intestinal fortitude".
I'd have to pick the 44 CV as the Cololnel has mentioned, for that particular set-up, for the all around best.
Ken, BTW, a group of us are going up on the "hill" for on last rip on Sunday.
They still have 3 plus ft. of snow(much more over by Montague) and the groomers are out, still.
Scott
Hmmm ... including PM's ... the vote seems to be almost unanimously in favor of the CV ... Intersting. I would have thought the Mikuni. Maybe I should stick to building snowmobiles. :)

I wish I could go to the Hill ... But, I'll be in Pittsburg, NH ... they still have a lot of snow too. This is the first time in about 10 years I didn't even register in NY. With the cost of gas and hauling that big Wells Cargo Trailer, ... I left my sleds at a friends house in Colebrook, NH, and just drove up for the weekends, instead of towing my sleds all over the Northeast. Probably saved $1000 in fuel costs.
Between my "Real" job, and my 2 hobbies (building sleds and painting bikes), Business was booming this winter. Didn't even go to Canada or race this year ... but paid off all the credit cards. :) Now I can buy that Road Glide and go in debt again. :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the softasil is a lighter bike
so it can handle a more agressive carb

the cv can be modified to be more agressive at a COST$$$

the mic is already agressive but maybe a little big for the mill
i dont have the numbers to detirmin that

top end hp is going to be greater with a s&s with the mic coming in 2nd

low end midrange throttle response would be good with all 3 carbs once the cv has been modified
best with the mic if its not to big for the mill next would be the s&s
the cv would be smooth but again for a light bike not needed
i mean you built a light performce bike why put a lazy carb on it

the new s&s dont not have to be modified with thunder jets they come stock with a adjustable air bleed now and throttle response is a lot better then it used to be with little or no flat spots depending on your tune

fuel millage = tune tune tune
but if your looking for a yugo then he schould purchase one
fuel millage and performance never go hand in hand
but a mildly modified cv would be the best for this at a loss of power
again the numbers needed (build info with exhaust and gearing)) to be more accurate are missing in your post
Thanks, you responded while I was typing the response to Hillside.

This is just a basic "Cookie Cutter" Screaming Eagle build ... most parts picked up cheap on E-Bay, then "refreshed" a bit. Heads were worked on a little bit, not sure what was done other than a valve job. Nothing really aggressive here.

SE (Jims) Crank - 4 3/8 Stroke - Trued
Stock Cylinders Bored
HTCC CNC Ported heads & matching pistons
SE 260 Cams
D&D Fatcat Exhaust
Crane Fireball Ignition
Gearing is stock - 5 speed tranny
Carb is still up in the air

It's a Heritage Softail.

Gas mileage is not THE major consideration, but he does ride a lot. This is a 2002 bike with 80,000 miles ... which is a lot for someone in New England who is not retired :)

He wants to stick to mostly Harley parts, in case he gets stuck and needs the bike worked on away from home. His words ... not mine.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have an S&S Super G on a 95" soon to be a 103. It's a XXX mod'ed carb, and I gotta tell ya...... my current setup really REALLY likes this carb! I'm getting a steady 36 MPG out of an Electra Glide Classic. Dave Mackie heads, Andrewws 32G HTCC pro pistons SuperTrapp, etc. etc, etc.........

Reactions: jerseyjames1228

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I have no experience with the S&S carbs, but I know people like them on high HP builds.
But I have experience on my 88" Sportster (102hp/100tq) with both the 45 Mic and the 44 SE CV. Back to back dynos give the nod to the 45 Mic. From about 3500rpm and up it was better than the 44cv, and didnt loose much below that. The CV is nicer to ride with when cruzing an gives a bit better mpg.
And the 45 mic was way better than a 42 mic except below 3000 rpms.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
S&S Carbs

Don't get me wrong on the S&S stuff. Those carbs, when set up properly, are the choice of many, including us. Boring them in larger inch builds works well as other mods do.
They just like the gas, which is not a bad thing for the engine, as fuel will cool an engine down. It kinda' stinks as far as your wallet goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I don't have alot of tuning experience, I can answer two of those with a fair degree of certainty. The CV will have the best street manners and will also get the best gas mileage. I can also say that it will flow plenty of air for at least 120 HP (I've heard of folks pulling as much as 140 HP through them but I'd venture to say a larger carb would have made more.) My 98" made 112 HP through a CV 44 and that's not bad for such a mild build. It obviously wasn't much of a restriction in my case.

(Warning: the views expressed by this non-expert are his own and are subject to scrutiny by those with far more expertise!...and that's ok by me.)
what size jet was you runing in the 44 cv for you build was the needle jet raise with washer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts