V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to figure out if I installed my trans right and just want to make sure. I had a hell of a time to get seat completely. I put a race and rollers.I finally got it in but the sprocket is very hard to turn in netural. The motor is a '72 1000.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Based on what you describe, I would guess no that is not correct. The sprocket should turn freely in neutral.

·
Banned
169 Posts
harv53013a said:
trying to figure out if I installed my trans right and just want to make sure. I had a hell of a time to get seat completely. I put a race and rollers.I finally got it in but the sprocket is very hard to turn in netural. The motor is a '72 1000.
The only part of assemble that would/could be a little tight would be the door to dowel pin fit...What you are describing is not normal at all. Did you get some different thickness thrust washers mixed up?

:cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
went by the book for setting up the trans but will to pull it again to be sure.The trans came with the motor ane was in pieces. All was in good shape but a gear missing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking a parts book found out that there is a +.005 oversize mainshaft race.
Does anyone know what the case hole spec is suppose to be.I don't see any repairs done to that area but thats not to say that theres not a different problem with the case.To install the trans it went in very hard and then it was hard to turn the sprocket.I pulled the trans again and didn't find a problem.As far as I can tell the rollers,race,or mainshaft clearances are way to tight.From the books you shouldn't have to force the shaft/rollers in to install the trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
72 trans

Just found out through a shop that works on older bikes, that when a mainshaft,rollers,or race is replaced that the race needs to be machined to the correct size.Now just need to find out what the installed size is.Just wanted to let other people know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts