V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out looking for a 4" extension for my 3/8" rachet and was surprised by how difficult of an item that is to find. I can get one from Snap-On for $20 but short of that I couldn't find a 4 incher anywhere - not even at Sears and I hate going into Sears. Any ideas on how to score a 4" extension bar?

Thanks,
Dennis E.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen,

You're right, I'll need to do some creative searching to find this part.

I want the extension for when I take off my oil filter. Last time I changed the oil I used a 6" extension and though it worked it was a bit cumbersome. The service manual says to use a 4" extension so that is why I'm looking for it. I suppose a 5" would be better than the 6" but sometimes one just wants the specified part.

Thanks,
Dennis E.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
deisenbraun said:
Gentlemen,

You're right, I'll need to do some creative searching to find this part.

I want the extension for when I take off my oil filter. Last time I changed the oil I used a 6" extension and though it worked it was a bit cumbersome. The service manual says to use a 4" extension so that is why I'm looking for it. I suppose a 5" would be better than the 6" but sometimes one just wants the specified part.

Thanks,
Dennis E.
If this is the only reason you are looking for a 4 inch extension, save your time. On my bike I could use a 2 foot extension or none at all if I wanted to. What's a few inches unless you are trying to impress your mate.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!! Every 2,500 miles..worrying about a 4" extension..............................P L E A S E!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
steveusmc said:
GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!! Every 2,500 miles..worrying about a 4" extension..............................P L E A S E!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is wrong with wanting the right tool?

First you give me a pleasant reply then when I say what I want it for you go ballistic. What did I miss?

Dennis E.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Nothing is wrong with wanting the right tool or a toolbox with every selection. Sooner or later you will find a job where only a 4" extension will work. Then you won't have to run all over town to find one.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Sears has a 4 piece 3/8 drive extension set for $9.99 = 50% off...it includes a 1 1/2 and 3" = 4 1/2"
or
cut a piece out of the 6" one and weld it back together

i've extended quite a few for myself and friends/coworkers by cutting and adding a piece of cold roll

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
deisenbraun said:
What is wrong with wanting the right tool?

First you give me a pleasant reply then when I say what I want it for you go ballistic. What did I miss?

Dennis E.
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to put it so bluntly. I have to disconnect my shifter lever to remove my FXDWG filter (the long one) and always use at least 12" worth of extension to bring the ratchet out past the footrest. Try using longer rather than shorter. Works better on a Harley IMHO. Again...soryy about the blast...:bowdwn: I may have been drinking Coronas.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steveusmc,

Thanks for your thoughtfullness - and tips. Merry Christmas.

Hoist a Corona for me as well!

Dennis E.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts