V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from attending the Four Corners Rally ( or what is left of it!) Last time I was there was 2000 and the place was hopping, all the motels were sold out and bikes every where. I had heard of the heavy handed Sheriff of last year, but this year the "Law" was noticable absent. The crowds were way down, most likely less than 3000, with most plates from New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado.

There were plenty of rooms, most motels probably didn;t even have 1/3 occupancy by motorcyclists, Durango was also very tame, with no more than a couple of hundred bikes parked Friday and Saturday nights, cruising down main street was light all night as well.
Ignacio was one of the 2 sites , low key but ok, Mancos, was over 75 miles away, so I never made that one at all.

However the riding was superb especially if you started early because the storms came every afternoon by 3:00pm. The ride up to Silverton and Ouray is one of teh best in the country, and a close second was over to Pragoas Springs and into the back way to Ignacio, just magnificent.

Talked with a few merchants who were plainly upset over the lower attendance and said they ha pulled the "Law" in and a new committee was overseeing the rally, trying to give it new life.

Who knows, it was kinda nice not being mauled to get a beer, and get any room any day ( still cost me $100.00 a night though)

Time will tell if Durango ever comes back ,but they made a good attempt this year. IMHO

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Not too surprising that attendance was down this year, given how it was cancelled last minute last year! Too many people were likely nervous that something similar was going to happen again this year! Hopefully next year people will see it's back and the bikers will come back, but it might take a few years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts