V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody done a comparison of the handlebar on the 35th Anniversary Super Glide to the regular Super Glide? Just looking at it, it appears to have a greater pullback than the regular FXD. It might solve the "reach" problems that some of us are having on our FXDs.

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
tguil said:
Anybody done a comparison of the handlebar on the 35th Anniversary Super Glide to the regular Super Glide? Just looking at it, it appears to have a greater pullback than the regular FXD. It might solve the "reach" problems that some of us are having on our FXDs.

haven't had both bikes side by side but my bud's 35th bars feel and ride same as my 06 SuperGlide

·
Registered
33 Posts
FXD35 Handlebar Differences

I've been comparing. I've recently found out (in the Dyna parts manual) that the stock FXD35 bar is part number 56102-99. This bar if you look it up on the H/D parts site is listed as the standard bar for a 99+ Softtail Standard.

The bars for the regular Superglide are part # 56038-05 so they are different part #'s.

Per H/D's bar info, the FXD35 bar specs are:

Part width base rise pull back
56102-99 30" 8.5" 3.75" 4.75"

Couldn't find the spec listing in H/D's bar spec chart for the 56038-05 bars listed in the Dyna parts catalog.

In case your looking, the chrome replacement bar for the 56102-99 stainless bar is 56154-04. Same exact specs for this bar as the 56102-99 bar above.

Reason I've done this research is that I was going to go with Wild 1 W0501 8" drags, but after getting them on the FXD35, I realized that I really preferred the stock traditional look of the original bars. So I set out in search for their chromed counterparts.

Not sure this help, unless your looking for the chrome bars for a FXD35 .

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Part number 56102-99 (tip to tip-30.00", base width-11.75",rise-5.75", pull back-9.25") has been listed as the reduced reach bar for the FXD for several years. The stock part munber for 2000-2004 FXD's is 55972-00 (tip to tip-31.00", base width-7.75", rise-4.50", pull back-5.75"). There's quite a difference in the bars. Now as soon as an Anniversary Model shows up at my dealer, I can check to see how the bar actually fits me. I can also see how the wider base looks on an FXD. I've been thinking about this switch since 2002. I do OK with the FXD stock bars but I'm not as young as I used to be (age 63).

Has anyone made this switch and does it make the ride more comfortable for long distances? I already have forward controls and a detachable supersport windshield on my FXD as well as an FXDXT saddle. I put in a lot of touring miles on this bike.

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
tguil,

let us know what you think. I like the bars on my 2003 FXD but alwyas feel like the pull back could be an inch or two more. I think that would add to the comfort.

would you have to replace the cables? I would rather not have to invest a chunk of change to get that added bit of comfort.

Just went and checked these look like a bolt on with no added cost. I guess i am going to have to go to a dealer to see what they may feel like. You're right about the width and how it would look on a dyna. those beach bars are nice but I don't want to throw down the money.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302288451&bmUID=1138286312456&bmLocale=en_US

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having probles with the reach on standard bars for 2005 dyna super glide. What is recommended for getting more pull back with out changing cables and electrical?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
tguil said:
Has anyone made this switch and does it make the ride more comfortable for long distances? :
yes and yes

I am 5-11 with long arms... the stock bars were OK, but the Softail Standard bars are much more comfortable and allow you to sit up straight. I think they look just fine on a Superglide, even though the base is slightly wider.

I think Trooper113 also has these bars on his FXD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Answer for reach issue

I have an '05 Super Glide Custom. I put on a LePera Bare Bones seat which dropped me lower and back, which made the "reach" issue even more obvious. I had been looking for different bars to put on until an H-D salesman told me that Pullback Risers were available for my bike. I put on the Angled Pullback Risers and it made a world of difference. It raised the bars 2 - 3 inches and pulled them back about an inch. The ride is 100% more comfortable. The only adjustment that had to be made to fit the risers was running the throttle cable up the frame rather than through the forks as was the stock design. Other than that, didn't have to replace any cables or make any other changes. Since putting on the risers, I've stopped looking for new handlebars...they are just not needed. It will though put your Speedometer at a different angle. It's pretty much vertical, but it's not an issue. I've gotten used to it and I can still see it as I need to. Riser part #56066-82A.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
no disrespect Ogre... but I have a buddy with the risers on his FXD... does basically the same thing as changing the bars, but looks tacky IMHO with the speedo all jacked up.

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
okay guys, now i am even more perplexed in my desicion making.:dunno:

i really don't want to shell out more for cables and such and I agree with the risers affect (personal taste) don't like them much.

here are the options I have seen so far on the subject.

Stock----------w-31-------c-7.5---------r-4.5------p-5.75
Lhorn----------w-28-------c-12.0------r-8.0------p-7.5
56102-99--w-30-------c-11.75---r-5.75---p-9.25
Flanders-----w-30.5---c-7.5---------r-6.5-----p-11.75

harley long horn bars

http://www.harley-davidson.com/brow...4309043342&bmUID=1138476427816&bmLocale=en_US

Oddly enough the harley web site says the long horns are bolt on replacement and I think someone said trooper113 had the 56102-99's and i think he said eh had to replace a cable. I forget which. a pic of trooper113 can be seen on

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62943&page=4

I just am not to happy with the height of the grips in that set up.

looking on that page 03fsdl hasa nice looking setup (risers look ok with drag bars-- for some reason) but does the reach problem still exist?

amer_ninja has a nice set up and for some reason the risers are not that noticeable. it must be the other gear up front.

i qish someone had the long horns installed or the flanders bars the D7's not the E7's http://www.sideroadcycles.com/AmericanMotorcycles/Handlebars/Super_Street/Super_Glide.html

:dunno:

·
Registered
46 Posts
george248 said:
no disrespect Ogre... but I have a buddy with the risers on his FXD... does basically the same thing as changing the bars, but looks tacky IMHO with the speedo all jacked up.
No offense taken. Everybody has his own taste. Personally, I would rather NOT have the speedometer higher and at an angle, and have looked for other options. But, until I find those options, the look doesn't bother me that much. With the bar-mounted gauges, this was the only real option I could find that would make the difference I was looking for. If there are other bars that would work, or replacement gauges, please let me know. I thought about switching out the tank for a low-rider or w-g tank with the gauges on the tank, but that's beyond my acceptable budget right now.

Interested to see how this is dealt with and what the options are.

Ogre

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
45leadslinger said:
i really don't want to shell out more for cables and such

No need for any new cables with those bars. I did have to bend the brake line some.

I looked at the Flanders bars myself... nice but a little pricey. I believe the Standard bars are about $50 :huh:

Couldn't beat the price on mine... free take-offs from a friends bike.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
45leadslinger said:
I just am not to happy with the height of the grips in that set up.

Too high or low?

I can't view the pics since I'm not orange ^rolleyez^

You would have a couple inches of "adjustability" up and down as to where you wanted the grips... I have mine pulled back a little on the low side. Sorry ... don't have a pic with those bars mounted.

Will take one for you if you like?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did check out the bars on the Anniversary Model. The look great and feel right. But this model has "massive" Mid Glide forks and the wider bars look "just right". To my "old eyes" this bar is a little too wide for the narrow forks on our earlier Super Glides.

The Flanders D-7 mentioned above might be just right. Anyone made this switch?

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
george 248,

to high on that set up.

yeah the flanders bars are a bit to pricey. I was thinking about buying both the harley bars and then selling the ones that dont' fit my taste. which bars did you put on your bike. a pic of yours would be great. you can email me and send it. I would appreciate it.

DenvereOgre,

I have been scrounging for low rider tank and parts for some time. I prefer that set up. I bought the super glide because I got a great price and new I was going to make some changes little bits at a time.

paul

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Here's another option. I have some Ness flat track bars on my wide glide that I like. They're narrow, 28", and have 11" pullback and 4" rise. I'm using these with 56066-82A pullback risers. They're Drag # DS-300014 $ 48.95.
I thought about the Softail standard bars, but at the time weren't available in chrome. I did try a set of 56330-00 Deuce bars, which are real close to softail standard bars, but they didn't back quite far enough for me.
I rode an FXD35 from the demo fleet last summer and I thought if it had forward controls and bars that came back further, it would be almost perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
45leadslinger said:
george 248,

DenvereOgre,

I have been scrounging for low rider tank and parts for some time. I prefer that set up. I bought the super glide because I got a great price and new I was going to make some changes little bits at a time.

paul
Paul,
Found a wide glide tank on ebay, supposedly never been outside the showroom. I've been told this would fit on the Super Glide as well and looking at the pictures, would only need slight modification. Not something I'm going to do right now, but thought you might be interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARL...35563QQitemZ4608372601QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Good Luck,
Ogre

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
thanks,

I was told that wide glide tanks needed modification to put on super glide but the low rider bolted right up no fuss no muss.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
45leadslinger said:
george 248

which bars did you put on your bike. a pic of yours would be great. you can email me and send it. I would appreciate it.

I've got a set of the Softail Standard bars on mine... will take a couple pics today and email them to ya.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts