V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see pics of your fork braces installed. I am considering putting one on my 1986 FXRSC that I am original owner of. Does anyone have one they want to part with? Opinions if they work or not would be appreciated also. Thanks.

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing happened today. I stopped at a bike shop that I never go to for a friend to get something today. There was a bike with a 35mm screaming eagle fork brace. The guy at the ship told me “you dont need them if you have a front fender”. Now you know why I dont go there.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Funny thing happened today. I stopped at a bike shop that I never go to for a friend to get something today. There was a bike with a 35mm screaming eagle fork brace. The guy at the ship told me “you dont need them if you have a front fender”. Now you know why I dont go there.
Trust Me... Or Don't...
I been runnin the SE fork brace for Many Years... Yes... It works... I have more than one...and If I see another... I will have that too ...Other ones?? IDK really know... we used to run made up ones back on the old Tin Lowers... I still think they were Helpful... Rigidity cannot be Argued..Fender mounts don't get it... but don't hurt..Better than none..

·
Registered
855 Posts
The San Jose BMW style steel loop braces used on the famous Reg Pridmore BMW racers (and commonly added to contemporary street bikes) worked well on the spaghetti front ends of that era. It would be easy to fab one for any narrow glide.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Let's talk about Fork Braces. I'm riding a 1985 FXRS. 35mm front forks. IF I were to put a fork brace on this bike...what difference would I notice..?? Can someone tell me what might "feel different", or under what conditions I would be saying to myself:"Oh man..glad I have that fork brace on there..".
Thanks. Always ready to learn.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Let's talk about Fork Braces. I'm riding a 1985 FXRS. 35mm front forks. IF I were to put a fork brace on this bike...what difference would I notice..?? Can someone tell me what might "feel different", or under what conditions I would be saying to myself:"Oh man..glad I have that fork brace on there..".
Thanks. Always ready to learn.
If you have never experienced a Tank Slapper, or if you ever had a front end "wash" in a tight corner, or even just that little Wiggle/Head Shake.. you will No Longer experience such Crap... if never had it... you won't Know... the Idea really is to Not Experience any Of that Crap... thus you won't know how glad you are you got it...Get it??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't know what a "Tank Slapper" is. Come to think of it, I don't know what "Front End Wash" is either.
I suspect I'm not riding aggressively enough to need a brace then.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If your FXR is in good condition with proper tire pressure you may never have such problems. I used to teach MSF courses on the '88 I bought new and beat the snot out of, and doing an exaggerated swerving demo could slam either footpeg mount into the concrete under full control. I've run with and without braces (39mm front ends) and haven't been able to provoke any misbehavior. Other bikes (like vintage British machines with flexy front ends like Norton Commandos) benefit more. I've always run Avon or Dunlop tires and replace them at 1/8" remaining tread depth as a rule. I ensured my wheel bearings are packed (I redid them every few years since I left that bike outdoors in all weathers uncovered) and periodically replaced fork fluid (to prevent internal corrosion I'd observed in old customer bikes but it also ensures full service just like doing aircraft struts).
FXRs are rightly popular because they're so stable. They're not sport bikes but they're very capable by Harley standards.

·
Registered
663 Posts
There were probably situations that i don`t remember, but what i recall well was a frightening hot / cold moment when i had
to brake hard and unexpected, wide-glide forks with two PM sixpiston-calipers and 330 discs...... it felt like the fork twisted for a moment. Or like a
tank slapper, although the wheel was not in the air before. Not helpful in a situation like that.
It should be added this was a Softail with raked trees.
Rigid is good and some extra portion of it won`t harm - i believe Racepres hit the nail on the head when saying it is about the crap that NOT happens...
In Supermoto they had reached a point where the started to take some rigidity out of their front ends, as it was all too stiff and they found out
the forks need some minimal flex, for safety.
But our old irons don`t apply to that "mod"..😄 We rather need it the other way round...
But yes, hard to find out what not happens in certain situations because you can`t experience the same situation a second
time to compare....

TELEFIX , who make the SE forkbrace, are located just one hour away from my home, i think i will go there later that year and get one for the FXR.
Be it just for performance looks, it`s not a major expense. Downside...it`s a little extra weight...
Looks like the make no chrome version anymore.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
That's pretty funny. Before I put a brace on my '85 RT the forks would twist enough when maneuvering the bike around in the garage that you could hear the front fender flexing.

I highly recommend the Screamin' Eagle (Telefix) fork brace. They're very well made and fit beautifully.

·
Super Moderator
20,091 Posts
That's pretty funny. Before I put a brace on my '85 RT the forks would twist enough when maneuvering the bike around in the garage that you could hear the front fender flexing.

I highly recommend the Screamin' Eagle (Telefix) fork brace. They're very well made and fit beautifully.
That's usually a sign that it needs the bushings serviced.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That's usually a sign that it needs the bushings serviced.
Good point!
The bushings aren't wide and while my 39mm forks are still tight with over 100K miles with occasional oil changes (I only pulled them to swap because the sliders have light corrosion and I'm redoing the rest of the cosmetics) the low mileage 35mm forks we just pulled from my bros '86 after his relative crashed it already show a fair bit of bushing wear. Strange since they look as worn as the high mileage bushings I pulled out of my FXE.
I didn't think anything of it as we were busy installing new tubes and bushings, but since that bike sat a lot it had internal corrosion of the steel fork tube (the bore where the damper rod runs isn't chromed) based on the brown rust particles I flushed out of the sliders and off the damper rods. (The fork oil was nasty and I'm sure was original.) Rusit is abrasive so running in abrasive soup could easily trash bushings.
Next elderly bike I drag home I'll drop a USB scope (cheap online, I paid about 30 bucks) and look down the fork tube bore when I change the oil. If it's corroded I'll overhaul the forks rather than just swapping fork fluid. I use 1/4" drill bit extensions with abrasive flap rolls for cleaning up other tubing before welding and it wouldn't be hard to stack them long enough to polish the whole fork tube bore if it's only got light corrosion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts