V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
A lot is lost in the fragrance of the communication..
I never knew my communications had an aroma.

Although I guess bullsh!t does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,239 Posts
I never knew my communications had an aroma.

Although I guess bullsh!t does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There is absolutely nothing like a guy who can't spell the word "and" or put a fuking sentence together at the level of a 5th grader trying to move the conversation to be about loss of communication and calling other people stupid.

·
Super Moderator
21,145 Posts
I don't see how a comp protects a starter?
Anyway, to each their own. I truly believe they are a junk investment.
Plus they are HEAVY!
Harley compensators work in both directions of rotation. Or bidirectional. They cushion the blow when the motor kicks back against the starter. When the early spoke compensators failed, often the first thing the rider noticed past the noise was when the starter nose broke.

Past that, Compensators are a pay me now - pay me later sort of thing. They protect the rest of the primary and transmission from excessive wear. Unfortunately, Harley has done a poor job of making them reliable. And some of this is probably because they use an over active comp to protect the peanut butter gears they use in the transmissions.

And its not a Harley only concept. Pretty much every internal combustion engine used in cars and trucks have unidirectional compensators on them when equipped with manual transmissions. Some heavy duty starters have comps built into the drive clutches.

As for the weight, ya its part of the rotating mass, so uses power to accelerate. But when you already have a 40-50 amp alternator resisting rotation on the end of the shaft, that comp weight is hardly significant. Then there is also the use of mass to calm that paint shaker Vtwin down. More is better for rider comfort. Reducing rotating weight on Harleys is the stuff of race bikes. Drill the wheels and eliminate the alternator sort of stuff.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts