V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,145 Posts
I get that but less rotating mass and parasitic loss does gain you speed. The proof is in the way it performs and all I can tell you unless you’ve done it amd have the same set up you really don’t know amd if I drive the tire faster quicker and put more power to the ground so to a mechanical advantage then tell me how that won’t increase power, tourque , speed to a certain point. I do t know many Harley riders who even hold the throttle open past 100. Before they get scared. Well I’m still in 5th at 100 and we’ll 120 comes quick amd 6th has become like the other 5 an actual power great not hair over drive but if 3400 rpm at 90’is to high for some then they’re just used to a lagging overdrive gear. Hell I run most gears at 4000 right on the power band why wouldn’t you that’s how it’s suppose to be. The motor is working at its best in the power not lagging like most riders ride. I know it’s foreign for the majority who don’t really know but this is where you should be running all the time even if your doing 30, 80 or 120 I’m the power band period
Man you need to stop talking to the keyboard racers on FB.

Speed is MPH. Lowering the drive ratio will cost you speed. What you get in return is increased acceleration.

If your motor makes more than good power, the small motor sprocket will increase the wear and tear on everything down chain from it. Clutches and baskets main drive gear bearings, and third gear being the main points of failure. And that recluse clutch does nothing to help with that. Why you would even want an auto clutch behind a solid motor sprocket is a mystery to me.

The only place you'll see an increase in power is on an dyno run by someone willing to play along. A reputable operator will see the ratio is altered and compensate for it.

Lots of people out there running 30 tooth motor sprockets these days, and the ones who also spent some dimes on their motors are going to show you the error of your thinking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You better reread your instructions. They say to use the clutch to shift gears. It probably has something to do with tearing up your clutch if you don't.

I think they say you don't need to use the clutch for stopping and starting. That's just so those people that are used to riding a mini bike with a centrifugal clutch will feel more comfortable riding a big boys motorcycle

So, when you add the cost of all these things, not to mention the dyno time for a tune, to the $700 you spent on a replacement clutch pack (yuk yuk), where does that put you? In that same group as the guys that put thousands into their bike.

You ain't seen nothing yet. They cost even more money to repair after you run them hard and break things.
Why do you think I’ll need to repair do you have experience wiring this ? And as far as cost between the rekluse tourque drive and the sprocket combined it was a little over $600 and I installed it all myself. Lots of bang for the buck right there. Tourque drive is not a auto clutch by the way but it’s built so tough and engineered so well it can be speed shifted without the lever and it’s like butter and plants the power down zero slip it feels like. Have you owned one ? If I do or have you’d know it’s one of the best upgrades you can do in my opinion. You’d understand and agree if you had one. But when you use the best parts you don’t break and I’m so curious as to why you think that? Compensators are notorious for going out and quickly. What do you do them screaming eagle upgrade? Do you know what they cost? That’s what I took out and replaced for half the cost for double the performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey new guy,, ,,, post some 1/4 mile verified time slips of your bike, at a drag strip,, with you doing the riding,,impress us.. stop yakking and prove it
.you are boring the holy sh*t out of me,,,,
Then find something else to do OG maybe you have an intelligent word or two to speak since what you just wrote doesn’t qualify.as such. How about you come line it up we can video that and use that for your proof! Get that 883 wound up and come prove me wrong that it’s a nice upgrade period works well as intended all I’ve said from the beginning

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have no clue why people keep buying the stupid comps!
Worse yet, some will buy the chanease crap!
Why do people insist that their Harley even or ever needed such a part?
No other engine I know of uses a toq snubber.
IDK.
I have deleted them my whole life .

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
How about you come line it up we can video that and use that for your proof! Get that 883 wound up and come prove me wrong that it’s a nice upgrade period works well as intended all I’ve said from the beginning
He has nothing to prove.
You on the other hand... HaHa!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
And another thing, Only someone that didn't know would consider a SuperGlide to be a touring bike. Posting here in the Harley-Davidson Touring forum shows a lack of attention to detail that goes with a lack of experience.

Did you think no one would pay any attention to you if you posted in the Dyna (if that 13 in your screen name means the year of your bike) or FXR forum?

Better be careful. I hear a lot of hate in just about all of your comments.
Well I post a simple thing about going to a 30 tooth drive sprocket and replacing the comp. to hearing all the naysayers tell me it’s dumb waste it’ll break yadda yadda. And another group of guys who agree. So if opinion is what we measure by even though I didn’t really care then ok we can debate. Amd it’s a street glide which correct me if I’m wrong but is what a touring bike is! No? Amd telling me to be careful? Of what? Keyboard bullies? Lol please. So keep clacking all you want o find it funny and enjoy the debate. That’s what this is isn’t it? A discussion forum? I respectfully and honestly disrespectfully disagree with your comments marking me out to be wrong or argumentative but don’t seem to call a spade a spade in others whom you seem to align with but like you are wrong haven’t answers any of my questions but yet I’ve responded to all of yours. Amd all you do is skip to another and another topic of baseless point making. So yes less crank weight is good not bad. The new sprocket weight over the comp is almost 5 lb. huge number. The mechanical advantage again is huge advantage. If you don’t see the simplicity behind it then your far sidedness is stunning . And maybe take a minute to think it through before rushing to comment. So again have you done this to your bike. Have you installed it and ran it? Have you run the rekluse clutch? Or this combination ? All ears on your level of expertise or experience.

·
Super Moderator
21,145 Posts
Why do you think I’ll need to repair do you have experience wiring this ? And as far as cost between the rekluse tourque drive and the sprocket combined it was a little over $600 and I installed it all myself. Lots of bang for the buck right there. Tourque drive is not a auto clutch by the way but it’s built so tough and engineered so well it can be speed shifted without the lever and it’s like butter and plants the power down zero slip it feels like. Have you owned one ? If I do or have you’d know it’s one of the best upgrades you can do in my opinion. You’d understand and agree if you had one. But when you use the best parts you don’t break and I’m so curious as to why you think that? Compensators are notorious for going out and quickly. What do you do them screaming eagle upgrade? Do you know what they cost? That’s what I took out and replaced for half the cost for double the performance.
My bad, I was thinking about the Radius package.

As for the compensator, it's there to protect the drive train and starter from damage caused by the power pulses from the engine. Damage that builds over time. And big VTwins have huge pulses, firing only once per revolution. It also protects the starter from kick backs. And yes they do go bad, a lot. For a bar hopper, the sprocket is fine. For a scooter that is going to see thousands of miles touring, its not fine. You can buy a lot of comps for what a gear cassette will set you on that trans. As for replacement comps, Darkhorse and Baker are the source for upgraded replacements.

As far as your clutch is concerned, all you did was replace the disks. If 30 tooth sprocket and bang shifting it doesn't break a dog ring, you'll be wanting to keep an eye on that basket and the splines on that oem hub.

This is what happens when you put too much power to a Harley clutch. If that clutch is as tight as you say it is, and you keep bang shifting it, I see this in your future.

As for hub weight, a stock 103, spinning an alternator on the same shaft, won't know its gone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine is a long hauler, they all have been touring bikes, and they all get deleted. (comps)
I don't see how a comp protects a starter?
Anyway, to each their own. I truly believe they are a junk investment.
Plus they are HEAVY!
And- to welcome a guy with so much defensive decisiveness is winning no points.
But it does seem to be the norm here.

·
Registered
985 Posts
"And- to welcome a guy with so much defensive decisiveness is winning no points." Who attacked who first? Tall Terry made a logical post without any negative intent, just true information, he flames him. If he wants to run his bike without a comp, great, will be interesting to see how it works out, several people do, that doesn't mean there hasn't been problems. I'm curious to see how the crank handles it long term because we all know stock cranks are one step from a boat anchor. Therm showed us a possible basket issue. This newbie seems defensive if anyone says anything he disagrees with, so who's defensive? The fact is, he increased wheel torque, not engine torque, through gear ratio,which increased acceleration, but did lower top speed, unless he disabled his rev limiter and plans on spinning it till it blows.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The trouble is with forums, keyboards, no beer, not sitting across from each other -
A lot is lost in the fragrance of the communication..
Across from each other, we can say "wrong asshols" and begat our argument.
debate it, abate it whichever
Pro, con, misunderstood.......all is good.
Then we Toast a beer and be done till the next time.
Here the disagreements become bravado insundos and innuendoes, dwn the path to nowhere fast.
A lot gets lost to who wants to lean on emotions.
Perhaps instead of hoisting the flag illegitimate pile ons,- we can try to appreciate we have another gear head amongst us?
We all can learn something every day.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
He is trying to be an encouragement... you gotta give him points for that. I think it was good, I recall trying to say some of those things in the past.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think it is perfectly fine to disagree, but do it with facts.
No emotional side roads needed.
Facts carry more weight than insults,
insults just mean we don't have the wit to argue the counterpoints or we would?
At least that is how i have come to view forum rants, as we would not ever carry on that way in real life.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts