V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if the 3" belt drive primary is alot heavier than the covers, chain, gears and so forth that will be coming off. I lifted a belt drive in the box and couldnt believe how heavy it was.
Also is this going to be for show or will I free up a few ponies for the exchange.
Ron

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Weight the box and when you are done with the conversion put all the parts that came off in the box and weight it again. Let us all know what weight more. I think you will find the chain system weights more. I would think the chain weights more than the belt, the compensating sprockt assembly weights more than the front belt pulley and the clutch basket maybe about the same.

As far as delivering the power to the transmission, it is not just show. I beat on mine and it takes it all. I don't know about freeing up any extra power though.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The open 3 inch will make the bike feel a bit heavy on the left side. It will depend on several things with a 200 tire on a softail it is not bad go to a 230+ and it gets heavy in low speed. That is one rason I am not a fan of fat tire bikes the way to go with big tire rear is a rsd set up they handle much better.

As for taking the power I run a IV brute and I have done 3700 rpm 1st and 2nd gear launches at the track( only never on the street LOL) and wot up shifts with no slippage. The Primo's are one tough unit.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
The open 3 inch will make the bike feel a bit heavy on the left side. It will depend on several things with a 200 tire on a softail it is not bad go to a 230+ and it gets heavy in low speed. That is one rason I am not a fan of fat tire bikes the way to go with big tire rear is a rsd set up they handle much better.

As for taking the power I run a IV brute and I have done 3700 rpm 1st and 2nd gear launches at the track( only never on the street LOL) and wot up shifts with no slippage. The Primo's are one tough unit.
I agree with HDWRENCH in that I am not a fan of fat tire bikes either.......definiteley more show than go.......

I like the idea of the right side drive gearbox idea for the alignment of the wheel, engine and trans...........but also like the idea that if you were required to change out the belt........only need to remove the belt cover on the rsd trans to get to belt............real simple.

All the best, Ozzie

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
One other consideration is that an "oil bath" clutch that's set up properly will last a great deal longer than a dry clutch...IMHO...you will also retain a narrower profile

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback fella's. Other bike is down with some leaks. I will give all this some thought while fixing the other. It's just money right?
I'm going to check one out locally thats been done with a BDL and see how it feels, sounds, fits etc.
Ride safe.
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts