V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to harley. just bought my first one, a 95 heritage softail with 4k miles on it. it has what i think are hd slip on pipes. the bike runs great but if you roll the throttle all the way on it bogs. i then roll the throttle off until it unbogs. it starts to pull if you ease the throttle past the point it bogs. is this normal? i dont beleive it has any intake mods other than a different cover (one of those golden eagle live to ride thingys). the plugs look right on to me, if not just towards the lean side.

here is a pic any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Bog

I have experienced bog over the years and it can be a lot of things. A couple that I have personally found are....a clogged air filter, a bad ignition, stopped up pipes and a partially clogged fuel filter. Since this is happening at 3/4 to WFO thorttle I would tend to lean towards something inhibiting the flow of fuel/air mixture at those times. I suspect the fuel filter may be causing this because you casn back off re-apply the throttle and it picks up.

Hope this helps.

Budman :)

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i went down to the harley garage and spoke with a couple of technicians. they assured me it was quite normal and that all heritages do that at high throttle and i tend to beleive them. it never pops or farts or anything. i asked if a screamin eagle intake would help and they said no. the bike runs excellent and pulls good right up to 70+mph. i guess the word bog might be a little off. its like a low growl. the cycle continues to accelerate during the growl. i guess the best thing would to be to ask others that i know that have harleys, especially heritages. if anyone thinks that i am wrong please speak up but for now i am gonna play it off as normal. does anyone recommend the screamin eagle intake? is there a significant increase in power or not worth bothering with. i am more into reliabilty than performance. but if it wont hamper reliability maybe i oughta do it along with vance and hines bigshot longs. i like the longshots, they are cheaper than the bigshot longs, but the bigshots have a hidden crossover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts