V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a "standard" gearing that the open primary systems come with or can you make that decision when purchasing the unit?

3.37 gearing change sounds like a must to me, but I've also wanted an open primary for some time. $400 for the gearing change has been justified, now I'm trying to decide if I should just go ahead and apply that toward the open primary.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
deuce163 said:
Is there a "standard" gearing that the open primary systems come with or can you make that decision when purchasing the unit?

3.37 gearing change sounds like a must to me, but I've also wanted an open primary for some time. $400 for the gearing change has been justified, now I'm trying to decide if I should just go ahead and apply that toward the open primary.
IMHO just put the 3.37 in and be done....unless you have to have the looks of an open primary....and the shorter life of a dry clutch...and the reduced lean angle..and the noise..and the chance of rocks and crap getting in there before your pant leg does...and did you ever ride one in the rain !!! Sure can get some strange spray patterns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Open Primary? Not me.... LOL!!!

You guys convinced me, (LOL copying the mail here...) I had thought about it, but have opted for the more practical and cost effective 3.37 gearing mod too. Got my parts together, (Ordered from Zanottis), big savings over local... Just waiting for the opportunity to install the new Barnett extra disc clutch, SE diaphram, clutch basket and comp sprocket. A few Buds that have done the mod compare the feel and difference in performance to "a significant gain in torque and hp at the rear wheel.." Definately the best performance improvement your money can buy on an otherwise stock bike, without spending lots of motor bucks for the same improvement. Better gearing is wise, IMHO.
DLR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
You guys convinced me, (LOL copying the mail here...) I had thought about it, but have opted for the more practical and cost effective 3.37 gearing mod too. Got my parts together, (Ordered from Zanottis), big savings over local... Just waiting for the opportunity to install the new Barnett extra disc clutch, SE diaphram, clutch basket and comp sprocket. A few Buds that have done the mod compare the feel and difference in performance to "a significant gain in torque and hp at the rear wheel.." Definately the best performance improvement your money can buy on an otherwise stock bike, without spending lots of motor bucks for the same improvement. Better gearing is wise, IMHO.
DLR
Wait till you ride it with the new gearing!! The "feel" is like you picked up 10ftlbs of torque at 2000 rpm.
I'm also convinced that the less often you "lug" the motor,,or make it "easy" for the motor to move the bike...be it from a stop or otherwise,,the less chain slap there is in the cam chest...good for guys running tensioners as they should last longer. Seems the bikes that go 50-60,000 miles on a set of tensioners, are ridden on lots of long rides with far less shifting..just going down the road...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
anyone have the part #'s for 3:37 gears?

I'd be interested in ordering 3:37 gearing for my '00FLHT and my '02 FLSTCI. Does anyone have the part #'s and prices handy? Are they same for both bikes/
Thanks,
Jeff
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
jeffFLHT said:
I'd be interested in ordering 3:37 gearing for my '00FLHT and my '02 FLSTCI. Does anyone have the part #'s and prices handy? Are they same for both bikes/
Thanks,
Jeff
Clutch basket 37846-99A List 320.00
Sprocket 40269-85A List 63.00
Order from chicago H-D 20% off no tax

Yes.. you need 2 each.. same for both bikes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, but I already did a search and found a couple good threads on pros and cons of the belt drive. If anyone knows the anwser to my gearing question, it would be most appreciated.
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
Gearing is a bit different from each maker of the open which one do you want?? I run a open and there are many cons but as far as putting it to the ground you are hard pressed to beat it. I was snapping primary chains like there string. Not to mention throwing them clear through the inner primary TALK about a mess YUK!!! I like the jingle of the open but I am a PRIMO only kinda guy used many others and have always been wishing and comparing to the Primo.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HDWRENCH said:
I was snapping primary chains like there string. Not to mention throwing them clear through the inner primary TALK about a mess YUK!!! I like the jingle of the open but I am a PRIMO only kinda guy used many others and have always been wishing and comparing to the Primo.
I can only imagine how much fun your sled is to ride.

I've been looking at the BDL because of price only. I'd like to keep it under $1,500 if possible. I'm certainly open for suggestions as my knowledge in this area is extremely limited as yet. Would I notice any performance gains from the open with my current build?

Current build is: 2002 Deuce w/95", SE flat top pistons, SE 211 cams, SE air filter w/stock carb, stock heads, Arlen Ness pipes (I know, but they look/sound great and got them for $200). I'm a dirtbike guy and found this forum to late to make the right decision on cams. Therefore, I'm keeping an eye on the cam chain tensioners and will most likey switch to 37G cams when they need replaced. I was pleased to see how fun these motors are to work on.

Thanks for your help.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top