V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in 3:37 gearing in an 04 fatboy and thought I did a good job (manual, etc...) Took it for a ride and I know I want to keep them in there. Got home and next morning went to start it and BANG! Took cover off and no broken teeth so tried to start again, started fine. Over the next few starts (not riding, just starting) it's a crapshoot if it'll BANG or not and now I've got shards of metal broke off from the ring gear. When bike's not running it shifts through gears perfect but when running doesn't want to go from first to second. I've read manual thinking I've missed something but don't think I did. I've adjusted clutch 3 times and it's spot on as is primary chain adjustment. I'm thinking tranny but hope not. I'm running a 95" with ported heads and 37g's, dtt ignition, mik45. Hoping somebody can help me out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold as well. It really hasn't had a chance to get hot after gear install. I thought about compression, too. The only thing I think I didn't mention was I put in a cometic shifter shaft seal and chrome inner, but that shouldn't affect anything.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
Chrome inner?, as in chrome inner primary, you may have starter alignment issues with the new primary.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Chrome inner primary. It's a Harley part but that probably doesn't mean much. How do I check allignment? The jackshaft teeth appear to line up and are level with ring gear. Looks good anyway.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
The teeth are busted off the ring or the little starter gear ? maybe the starter is NOT disengaging when the motor starts? That Long little bolt gets torqued real low I think 7 inch lbs? if that is to tight the starter gear will not disengage or hang up.

·
IronButt
386 Posts
If I remember correctly the 7-inch bolt inside of the jack-shaft should only be torqued a few lbs no more than 5 Lbs. I alway used never-seize on the inside of my jackshafts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Teeth are gone off the ring gear, the starter jackshaft gear is fine. Yeah the torque on the bolt was only 7-9 ft. pds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've started it with the outer cover off and the jackshaft gear seems to spring back out of the way fine. Is there anything in the tranny I could have moved around or messed up?

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Ring gear

If replacement is in order, we have 9/66 spur gear/ring gear sets that WILL NOT act up.
Scott

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't thought that far yet but I'll have to do something along those lines. I think something's different in the tranny area that's making it hard for the starter to turn the ring gear. When it starts it sounds normal but won't shift into second. When the bike isn't running it shifts all gears like butter. Any ideas?

·
<><
3,971 Posts
What I know about a Harley tranny, clutch & primary you could fit on the head of a pin. That said, if it were my bike with an intermittent BANG, I'd change my starting pattern (clutch out neutral, clutch in 1st, clutch in 2nd, etc.) to see if it made any difference. Might help narrow things down. Just a dumb thought...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After work tonight went out into garage and took out clutch adjuster screw remembering that the push rod slid half way out when I took clutch basket off. Pushed it in a few times then put it back together hoping. Adjusted clutch and fired it up. All looked good but still didn't want to go into gears easy. Shut it off, fired it again and BANG. Scott, will be calling you Monday about those gears, my ring gear is trash now. Somethings not right clutch or trannywise, I'm thinking that when I bust teeth the clutch isn't engaging or tranny is partially in gear. All I know is it's pissing me off bad now. Not sure what to do, take it apart but then what do I look for? Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
fatboy66, have you checked to see if your inner clutch basket will move side to side inside of your outer clutch basket. i would check that first and if it will move from side to side you probably have a retainer clip on the back side that keeps the inner hub pulled up. Could also be a bad inner clutch basket bearing . Those things will let your outer hub move and as long as you rev it up it will let the basket be pulled straight and allow you to shift at low RPMs and not just at a idle. Booggerbe

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Booggerbe, I was out there with a tape and measured the ''front tire side'' and ''rear tire side'' of the ring gear teeth from the lip of the inner cover. There is a little over an 1/8" difference from the lip of the inner cover to inner teeth, front to rear. You're right, the clutch basket is cocked for some reason. I might be able to pull it apart tonight ( kids bday party today) but by tomorrow morning will know what's going on. THANKS, I hope this is the problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well late yesterday went out and loosened the clutch basket, adjusted it, re-torqued it, and me and a friend went riding. Don't really understand how the basket can move around a little when seated (bearings?) but it does. Man she ran good, started every time without a hitch. If a problem developes later at least I'll know what it is. If you like riding the higher rpm's get the 3:37s. What a blast, no downshift, just twist and GO! Got to start looking for a good ring and pinion setup now. Thanks everyone for the replies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts