V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see this 3.37 alot on this site and i wanted to know what it was? different transmission gearing or what.i have a road king with the 95 build httc pistons and heads, andrews 55g cams roller rockers, jims hydro solid tappets,thunder header pipes. what would this 3.37 do to my hp and tq numbers? thanks

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Nothing, it'll just get you there quicker.
About 240 RPM difference at 70 MPH, IIRC.
It's a difference that you can feel, and if you've got a build that loves RPMs, all the better...

BTW, it's a different comp sprocket and clutch shell, stock in some of the '01 and earlier TC baggers, IIRC.

·
Registered
473 Posts
A buddy just did it on his bagger and says the difference is noticable. I leaning towards going that route after I get the new cam and TB on and tuned.:cool:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
It's great on a bagger. The gearing makes it easier to get almost half a ton moving. Besides, 3:37 was stock on 2002 and earlier baggers, it was changed to 3:15 for EPA regs in 2003.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
It's great on a bagger. The gearing makes it easier to get almost half a ton moving. Besides, 3:37 was stock on 2002 and earlier baggers, it was changed to 3:15 for EPA regs in 2003.
I did not know that! Thanks for the info Geezer-Glide :thumbsup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree... But is the expense of the 6-speed worth it? I already push 5 gears to the limit, the sixth might be trouble for me... Just putting my -2$en#e-

·
Registered
460 Posts
rdking2005 said:
I agree... But is the expense of the 6-speed worth it? I already push 5 gears to the limit, the sixth might be trouble for me... Just putting my -2$en#e-
IF your a bar hopping rider a 6 SP is of no use.

If you do a lot of cruising and depending on terrain your cruising it could be.

Your not going to pull max rpm your bike makes peak HP in 6th gear unless you lower final drive ratio a bunch and then even 5th could feel like granny ist gear in a 1946 ford dump truck. You'll probably find even with that 103 you make your highest top speed in 4th gear instead of 5th, again unless you lower your finial drive ratio to overcome coffiecient of drag and lack of enough mechanical advantage to overcome it.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:

It was changed to 3:15 in 2002, my 2002 has 3:15 and I just bought everything to change it over.

Roy

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Only on FI bikes. Carbed bikes got 3:15. And like posted above, I think '02 was the change year for them all to be 3:15.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
compressor#v said:
I would think the 3.37 and an overdrive 6 speed would be excellent in a bagger.
Any thoughts?
I agree. You get the best of both worlds. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, hopefully I did not put the cart before the horse. I have an '02 Deuce that I ordered the 3.37 set up for. My clutch basket is due in Tuesday. I already have the comp sprocket.

I just installed a tach and I am running a solid 3200 RPM at 70 MPH. And, from what I have read here, that is where I should be with the 3.37 set up.

Well it is off to the garage to pull the primary cover and count some teeth. Worst case is a restocking fee. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
The chart I have for 3.37 shows 3200 at 71.5mph.
3.15 at 3200 shows 76.5
Allowing for a little error I'd say your already there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
compressor#v said:
I would think the 3.37 and an overdrive 6 speed would be excellent in a bagger.
Any thoughts?
HQ 1550 Hi comp. kit, 3.37 gears ('00 Ultra Efi) Baker DD6 tranny.

Very little 'round town riding. When I do, rubber all the way through 2nd, no sweat.

I ride on the highway by myself...a lot. :)

Btw., I've got a Revtech OD 6 in my '96 RoadKing with the HQ System 95. I find with the OD I'm downshifting too much on long grades, quick passes etc.

TC

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, pulled it apart. Stock 3.15. Evidently either the tach is off or the Metzler 160 is throwing something off. Oh well.

Coho,
I will post what I feel as soon as it the install complete. It will be a seat of the pants evaluation. I am assuming it will only get better, and it ran sweet with the 3.15. (TW37G, SBC heads, Fatcat, PCIII USB with a custom map). I like to wind her up too.

Come on Tuesday.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I would assume that my 03 Fatboy has the 3.15 gearing that others have. Is this an all Harley part swap out or aftermarket? I am interested in swapping out my gears now.

Back when I had a vehicle I hopped up the first thing I did was swap out to 3.73 positive traction gearing and that was a HUGE noticeable difference. I am sure this will give a bike a bit more umph out of the hole.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to changing out the gears. Got the sockets already. Now I just need to get the parts on order.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
1 1/2" can be tough to find, atleast in 6 point. Could find 12 point in 3/4 drive. Nobody locally had 1 1/2 in 1/2 drive. I finally got a impact rated socket for $28. McMaster had them for $16, no impact. Grainger might if you have access. For me,I paid the $28, its worth it to keep working. But if you got the time look around.

Sears, carquest, napa, and truvalue did not have it. 1 3/16 is easy to find, 1/2 drive and 6pnt. I already had one. Though deepwell would probably be better. Not sure if I had a good bite on it. But it came off. Will probably get deepwell before putting it back on. There not too bad $.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Oops. Measure twice, cut once right?

I received my clutch basket today from Zanotti's. They forgot to ship my SE clutch diaphram though. Oh well.

Dummy me, I mistakenly removed (destroyed) the spiral retainer spring clip retaining the cupped washer and spacer (clarification: they reside between the main retaining nut and the tranny spline) when disassembling the clutch basket the other day. Now I am a day behind in assembly and a test ride. :duh?: (UPDATE; the dealer said not to worry about it, it will be retained as an assembly. The spiral clip is NOT sold seperately)

I was at the dealer on the way home for work today and tried to describe what I did and looked in the manual for the replacement retaining spring clip. But, the sales guy was not aware of what I was talking about. So, I bought something I thought would work. No go. I will try again tomorrow. (See the update in the paragraph above)

Other than that, I went and purchased a 12 ton arbor press from Harbor Freight for $109 (on sale) and completed what I could. For $109, simply replacing a set of cams and pushing out this clutch shaft pays for this little press. I guess it isn't a total waste.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts