V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
After successfully making the 3.37 gearing change to my 2004 Fatboy by changing to a 24 tooth compensator sprocket and 37 tooth clutch shell I thought I’d report my findings. My bike is stage 1 with Hi flow a/c, PC3 and Thunderheader 2:1. It goes well, but I’ve always felt it was geared too high, seeming a bit difficult to get off the line, and often found certain speed limits to be a bit awkward (too fast for one gear, too slow for the next) so when I read about the 3.37 change it interested me greatly.
The job itself was quite easy. With the right tools, and the factory service manual anyone with some mechanical experience shouldn’t have a problem. I also took the opportunity to fit a Hayden M6 automatic primary chain adjuster, and although I haven’t had any problems with it loosening, tightening the compensator nut as per the new technique. Also for peace of mind, I fitted the compensator shim, part #24033-70 intended to address a stack height issue which may cause some to come loose, both mentioned on Harley Hogs site:
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hddiagrams/M1170.pdf
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hhog/tt/20031027.pdf

The resulting change to the bike I would describe as subtle but definitely worthwhile. It’s easier to get off the line, more responsive to the throttle, and easier to ride in traffic with choice of gear more flexible. Certain speed limits that were awkward before are now more comfortable and lugging is more easily avoided. I can confidently say this is the way the bike should have been geared when it left the factory.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It was the way it left the factory until the EPA stepped in . I has 3.37 on my last bike and it definetly has more giddy up . I do prefer the 3.15 on the hiway though.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Yeah I agree the 3.37 that was there originally is perfect gearing for the TC. Seems to keep the engine in the sweetspot throughout. You can always count on the EPA to screw a good thing up.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Jury still out

I had the 3.37 done week before XMAS ( my gift to myself ) when I had a chance to ride it was 28 degrees out so I only did a 30 mile loop up around the lake. I did notice more thottle response and when I went into 2nd gear at about 4500 I could tell a big difference (front tire was off ground).looks like it was a good way to go to get a little more umph. Now do I do a 6 speed. wish they made a 8.6/1 5th gear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts