V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woods performance offers a 24 tooth compensator gear. (40269-85A) for a gear reduction. Would this be all that i need to change my gearing now 3.15 on my 2006 Street Glide FLHX. to the 3.37 gearing. Also would i be able to use my same primary chain. Any more imfo or help would be great . Thanks to all. Booggerbe

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Nah, I do believe you need the clutch basket too. That way the total run out of the chain is not changed. Do a search on 3:37 gearing, Doc and others have posted the parts numbers you'll need. You can find both online for about $275.00 to $295.00.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Thanks for the quick imfo. On my gearing change. I also forgot to ask do you think it will be a big loss on cruising speed verses RPM .Thanks again Booggerbe

·
Registered
460 Posts
Booggerbe said:
hey Thanks for the quick imfo. On my gearing change. I also forgot to ask do you think it will be a big loss on cruising speed verses RPM .Thanks again Booggerbe
24/37 & 32/70 with 25.25 dia rear tire, 70 MPH 3142
25/36 & 32/70 with 25.25 dia rear tire, 70 MPH 2935
70 MPH = 207 more RPM with 24/37

24/37 & 32/70 with 25.25 dia rear tire, 80 MPH 3591
25/36 & 32/70 with 25.25 dia rear tire, 80 MPH 3354
80 MPH = 237 more RPM with 24/37

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
BUMP:

I'm getting ready to order the clutch basket and sprocket this coming week. I'm going into it because I've got to replace a leaky shifter shaft seal. I'm going to order the Cometic primary gasket kit and shifter shaft seal.

I don't guess there is anything else I need to order is there? Just checking.

Thanks.

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
Correct red loctite

Timbo,

Make sure you get the correct red loctite number 262. It is available from industrial distributors and HD dealers. The red loctite in autoparts stores is different and is designed to be heated when removing parts. The 262 is not quite as heavy duty and will come apart when you need it to.

David

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
Feels better all around

I have a 2005 FLHTCI with SE A/C and ProPipe. It made the bike feel better all around. The only caution would be if you like to cruise at 80 to 85. If you cruise at 55-75 it is fine.

David

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
But don't forget, 2002's and earlier had the 3:37, and 80-85 was no problem on those scooters!

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
What about a happy medium here?

Ok my Cometic primary gasket set and shifter shaft seal are on order. But I've been smokin' over the gear change by doing alot of thread searches and gathering opinions. I guess since I enjoy long distance touring which involves interstate cruising at 80-85mph I don't want my engine screaming or my mpg to go to pot. I wish I could grab a bike with the 3.37 gearing and ride it to see if I'll handle the change ok. I'm sure I'll love the 0-60mph but the top end not so sure.

What if I just compromised on ratios a bit and went to the 24 tooth compensating sprocket and a shorter chain? I don't guess anyone makes a chain exactly for this mod do they? Plus I want to keep my Hayden M6 in there. I don't want to fool with the tranny or pulley sprocket because I don't want to have to fool with the speedo. Unless I can find an adjustable speedo that is easy to calibrate.

Any ideas? I just need some options before I commit. Bottom line though, I WILL be making some kind of performance change in that primary. Cause I ain't pullin all that stuff apart just to replace the shifter shaft seal without doing something performance wise. I want to make the job worthwhile!

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
correct me if i am wrong efi bikes were not carbs? or vice versa
Well now, there ya got me. I was under the impression all 2002 and earlier had the 3:37.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
timbo said:
Ok my Cometic primary gasket set and shifter shaft seal are on order. But I've been smokin' over the gear change by doing alot of thread searches and gathering opinions. I guess since I enjoy long distance touring which involves interstate cruising at 80-85mph I don't want my engine screaming or my mpg to go to pot. I wish I could grab a bike with the 3.37 gearing and ride it to see if I'll handle the change ok. I'm sure I'll love the 0-60mph but the top end not so sure.

What if I just compromised on ratios a bit and went to the 24 tooth compensating sprocket and a shorter chain? I don't guess anyone makes a chain exactly for this mod do they? Plus I want to keep my Hayden M6 in there. I don't want to fool with the tranny or pulley sprocket because I don't want to have to fool with the speedo. Unless I can find an adjustable speedo that is easy to calibrate.

Any ideas? I just need some options before I commit. Bottom line though, I WILL be making some kind of performance change in that primary. Cause I ain't pullin all that stuff apart just to replace the shifter shaft seal without doing something performance wise. I want to make the job worthwhile!
I don't think a compromise will get you where you want to be for nice pull
at lower speeds and rpms.
The chart I have shows the following:
3:15 85mph 3560rpm
3:37 85mph 3800rpm
These numbers are slightly rounded. If that 240 rpms bothers you then just slow to 80 which would be very close to 3600.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts