V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished the gearing upgrade about a month ago, pretty simple upgrade. While in the primary went ahead and installed the Harley auto-tensioner. I know I am probably going to get flamed on this one but the gearing is just OK in my opinion. I put several 50 and 100 mile trips on but thought that I needed some extended riding to get the full advantage. This week end I put about 300 on in one day and it was still just OK. The only way I know to describe it is when I first did my build I put a canned map in to get to the 500 mark for dyno work. After the custom map dropped in it was a lot "crisper" throttle responce. Thats kinda how this is. It keeps you in a little sweeter spot, but nothing that is life changing or even saying wow. Maybe its because I have a large lift cam, or maybe I just always tack mine at take off when we are up in the mountains on long lonely stretches of highway? I think the auto tensioner was the cooler investment, lot smoother shifting, still not the rice click, click, click- but no more clunk. I only post this so if someone has other ideas of where to put money, I would go for a custom map, or something else, but hey its only $300.00.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ZeroCool, thanks for the information. I was "on the fence" about doing this upgrade during the winter months, but after reading your post, I think I will take your advise and put the money elsewhere.....thanks again.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I highly recommend it for a bagger. It seemed to really make my 04' Ultra jump out of the hole along with the Woods TW5g dropped in there. The TW5g is a great lower rpm high torque cam too.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
ZeroCool said:
Finished the gearing upgrade about a month ago, pretty simple upgrade. While in the primary went ahead and installed the Harley auto-tensioner. I know I am probably going to get flamed on this one but the gearing is just OK in my opinion. I put several 50 and 100 mile trips on but thought that I needed some extended riding to get the full advantage. This week end I put about 300 on in one day and it was still just OK. The only way I know to describe it is when I first did my build I put a canned map in to get to the 500 mark for dyno work. After the custom map dropped in it was a lot "crisper" throttle responce. Thats kinda how this is. It keeps you in a little sweeter spot, but nothing that is life changing or even saying wow. Maybe its because I have a large lift cam, or maybe I just always tack mine at take off when we are up in the mountains on long lonely stretches of highway? I think the auto tensioner was the cooler investment, lot smoother shifting, still not the rice click, click, click- but no more clunk. I only post this so if someone has other ideas of where to put money, I would go for a custom map, or something else, but hey its only $300.00.

Hey Zero -

You might try Redline Heavy Shockproof in your trans for getting closer to "click, click, click." Made a big difference in mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
3.37 gearing

I had the 3.37 gearing and a 6 speed installed in my SE Ultra at delivery. I think it's perfect, especially for a big heavy bike, and especially a bike with a motor that produces most of it's power above 4k rpms. Not where I ride most of the time. If your riding style is keeping the rpms up already, then the lower gearing probably won't seem like a great thing. I tend to just cruise along and get lazy sometimes, so the lower gearing helps keep me honest. What's really suprised me is that most times in 5th on the highway, I'll realize that I still have another gear. Part if it is not being used to a six speed, and part of it is the motor is very happy at 70 mph and 3k rpm. It really is nice though on the superslabs to drop into 6th and cruise away.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
GCSuper, do you have the SE6spd? If so how's first gear? Some say it's like a creeper gear with 3.37. I'm considering these changes and any observations are appreciated.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Compressor,

My understanding is that the SE6 ratios are exactly the same as the OEM 5 speed - only there's an overdrive 6th. With 3.37 your revs in 6th only drop 250 or so from the stock set up, whereas with the 3.15s it drops more.

In my mind, the SE6 and 3.37 combo makes sense if you cruise a lot and like to run 75 - 80 or more. With my 3.37s and 5 spd, I'm around 3250 @ 70, 3500 @ 75, and 3750 or so @ 80. I could see a benefit to running 3000 @ 75 in 6th.

GC

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
FXRYDER, thank you. First gear seems OK now but I have the 3.15 gearing. Going to 3.37 some have said that 1st gear is very low. On my Evo bagger I had 3.37 and a Baker OD, but they had a taller 1st gear option which worked out well for me. The SE 6spd does not offer a taller 1st if I recall.

·
Registered
46 Posts
compressor#v said:
GCSuper, do you have the SE6spd? If so how's first gear? Some say it's like a creeper gear with 3.37. I'm considering these changes and any observations are appreciated.
Yes, it's the SE 6 sp. I wouldn't compare 1st to a creeper gear at all. It just really helps a loaded two up bagger get up and moving. If you were racing, yes you would be shifting pretty quick, but it's not a problem for me. I'm in no hurry to go back to stock gearing with this motor. Now if I did some mods and increased tq, I might return to stock. I'm actually kinda liking this low comp, easy starting, super quiet top end, good mpg EPA 103 motor.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
GCSuper, thanks for getting back. Like your bike I have the factory hydraulic clutch so thats why I will go with SE instead of a Baker. Sounds like 1st is not to bad. With your motor, trans, and the 3.37, should be a lot of fun. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Hmmmm
I guess I'm missing something. The HD SE6 has the same as stock gear ratios for gears 1-5 then a .085 + or - OD right? Then you turn around and kill the OD you just spent 2k for by changing the primary gearing to a 7% lower gear, another 300 dollars or so spent. Sounds to me like no big net change but now 6 gears to change instead of 5. I guess ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
Hmmmm
I guess I'm missing something. The HD SE6 has the same as stock gear ratios for gears 1-5 then a .085 + or - OD right? Then you turn around and kill the OD you just spent 2k for by changing the primary gearing to a 7% lower gear, another 300 dollars or so spent. Sounds to me like no big net change but now 6 gears to change instead of 5. I guess ignorance is bliss.
No, I don't think I'm ignorant at all. I have gears 1-5 that are lower to help a big bike get rolling, then an overdrive for freeway traveling. Besides, what's $300 bucks when your in for over 30K? Each to his own.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
Hmmmm

Well, let's see.
3.37s give you better accelleration, but 3.15s put you where you like to be at 75-80 MPH.
3.37s w/ a SE 6 speed give you both accelleration 1-5 and lower RPM in 6th for the super slab.

Depart from us in bliss, my son.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Well, let's see.
3.37s give you better accelleration, but 3.15s put you where you like to be at 75-80 MPH.
3.37s w/ a SE 6 speed give you both accelleration 1-5 and lower RPM in 6th for the super slab.

:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Well, let's see.

:flames: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
Hmmmm
Doesn't make any sense to me either but he will have more pull through the gears.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have seen an overall improvement in driveability with the 3.37 gearing. At lower speeds better percieved throttle relative to speed/gear response, at 75-80 mph in 5th gear my motor is always on the happy spot.
AP

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Where the 3.37 gearing paid off for me was when I was running a cam that really started to come on about 3500 rpm.

I usually cruise around 70 mph, and in 5th gear I was doing about 3000 rpm. When I had the 3.15 gearing, I'd have to plan for an extra couple of seconds to pass waiting to reach the rpms that my cam liked. After installing the 3.37 gearing I would be running about 3250 rpm at 70 mph and passing was a much quicker enterprise since I was that much closer to the sweet spot.

I don't think the 3.37 gearing is a must have for every bike or every cam, but it's nice for the right applications.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Well, let's see.
That's the way I see it. Then, with the DD6, you can tighten up the ratios 1 through 5, for even snappier acceleration. There's a fair amount of discussion on various boards and more than a few very experienced folks have posted different paths to achieve various performance objectives. FWIW - I kinda like the SE6 set up myself, though won't get one until I go big on the next build. :D

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Snaps said:
Where the 3.37 gearing paid off for me was when I was running a cam that really started to come on about 3500 rpm.

I usually cruise around 70 mph, and in 5th gear I was doing about 3000 rpm. When I had the 3.15 gearing, I'd have to plan for an extra couple of seconds to pass waiting to reach the rpms that my cam liked. After installing the 3.37 gearing I would be running about 3250 rpm at 70 mph and passing was a much quicker enterprise since I was that much closer to the sweet spot.

I don't think the 3.37 gearing is a must have for every bike or every cam, but it's nice for the right applications.
@gree:

I'll add that 3.37 moved my sweet spot to a lower speed. After the build, my sweet spot for the freeway was 85 - 90 with the 3.15s. With 3.37s it was easier keeping it to 75 or so. As for first becoming a granny gear - I didn't find that to be the case at all. It improved first IMO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts