V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below article is from the LA times trying to bust the old time thinking of us gray beards and the brain washing that the oil companies have been doing since day one.
george

State hopes to break car owners' habit of changing oil too often
California launches a campaign against the widespread notion that oil changes are needed every 3,000 miles. Officials say the practice wastes millions of gallons of oil a year.

Nationally 51% of vehicle owners said they believe oil should be changed every 3,000 miles or three months, according to an NPD Group survey. Few manufacturers require such an aggressive maintenance schedule.

December 15, 2011
Many automobile owners are spending more than they need on motor oil, believing that it should be changed every 3,000 miles even though almost no manufacturer requires such an aggressive oil-change schedule.

The long-held notion that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles is so prevalent that California officials have launched a campaign to stop drivers from wasting millions of gallons of oil annually because they have their vehicles serviced too often.

"Our survey data found that nearly half of California drivers are still changing their oil at 3,000 miles or even sooner," said Mark Oldfield, a spokesman for the California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery, which has launched the Check Your Number campaign to encourage drivers to go with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Improvement in oils, friction proofing and car engines have lengthened the oil-change interval, typically 7,500 miles to 10,000 miles for most vehicles.

Changing motor oil according to manufacturer specifications would reduce motor-oil demand in California by about 10 million gallons a year, the agency said. The state has created a website, checkyournumber.org, where drivers can look up the suggested motor-oil change interval number for their vehicles.

The agency and other groups said slashing motor-oil consumption would be good for the environment and won't hurt the longevity or reliability of autos.

"Drivers have a number of ways to reduce the environmental impact of their vehicles, which can also save them money," said Don Anair, senior engineer at the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Besides following the manufacturers recommendations for oil changes, drivers can reduce oil consumption by keeping their tires properly inflated and by avoiding idling their engines, Anair said.

"The 3,000-mile oil change just says that the marketing campaign by quick-lube companies has been effective," said Steve Mazor, manager of the Auto Club of Southern California's Automotive Research Center. It made sense years ago, when "we had cast-iron block engines with cast-iron pistons that would expand when they got hot and older lubricants," Mazor said.

Nationally 51% of vehicle owners said they believe oil should be changed every 3,000 miles or three months, according to an August survey by market research firm NPD Group. And just 33% wait more than 4,000 miles between oil changes, NPD said.

Drivers should be confident in the oil service advice offered by automakers, Mazor said.

Vehicle warranties, especially for power trains, have grown longer in recent years, he noted, and automakers would not give advice that could hurt engines and increase their warranty expenses.

Ford Motor Co. recommends oil changes for most of its new vehicles at 10,000 miles, although some still require the service at 7,500 miles.

"Our new generation of engines have tighter internal tolerances, which reduces the amount of carbon and other products from combustion that gets into the oil," said Richard Truett, a Ford spokesman.

The latest engines also run at more optimum temperatures, which diminishes the degradation of oil.

Honda Motor Co. and its luxury marque, Acura, no longer have a set interval for motor-oil changes.

Both Honda and Acura vehicles are equipped with a maintenance minder system that recommends oil changes and other services based on a number of vehicle-usage factors, including mileage and climate. Other manufacturers have similar systems that alert drivers to the need for an oil change.

"The idea is to prevent either over- or under-maintaining a car by following a set schedule," said Chris Martin, a Honda spokesman. "Now, there is no guesswork."

Typically, the indicator for an oil change lights up every 5,000 to 10,000 miles in Honda and Acura vehicles.

Owners of late-model BMWs can go as many as 15,000 miles between oil changes, depending on driving conditions. BMWs also have sensors alerting drivers to the need to change motor oil based on conditions like driving in stop-and-go traffic, making short trips and prolonged idling.

Despite these improvements, many drivers insist on changing the oil often even if it isn't recommended.

This has prompted some new car dealers to ask customers who come in for an oil change when it's not recommended to sign a document stating that they understand that the maintenance guidelines for their auto don't require a change at that time. The dealers are worried that someone might later accuse them of selling unnecessary maintenance services.

[email protected]
Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
On my cars I long ago went with 7500 oil changes .We live a ways out side of town so for us there are no short trips,no extreme condition that would require 3000 mile changes.
Has not seems to harm our cars so far

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
if Ford now says that they do not recomend oil changes at the 3000 mile mark why then did they place a sticker on my winshield at my last oil change with 3000 miles added to my current mileage.......... someone needs to get their story straight either the service departments or the spokespeople .

LoneEagle

and this is on a new f150 it just hit 4500 miles today (wish it was mine but I get to drive it for nothing , company vehicle)

·
Registered
765 Posts
And how might this apply to an air cooled v twin motorcycle engine?
Unless you are having your oil tested by a lab, you don't know the correct time to change your oil is.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Unless you are having your oil tested by a lab, you don't know the correct time to change your oil is.
I have had my oil changed every 2,500 miles, per HD's recommendation. The bike now has 97,000 miles with no engine work. Does anyone here go significantly longer? Have you done that for a long time on the same bike without any problems?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Only my V-Rod, I had the oil checked every 1K for the first 7K miles. At 7K miles the oil was still good and had good life left in it. My oil of choice for my bikes is Rotella T6 5W-40.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Ever since "Consumer reports" started there "Cost per mile" of new cars comparison, These oil change mileage suggestion have been drawn out to the point of being detrimental to the engine.
Yes, oils today are far better then they were ten years ago, and some of the suggested intervals read like 7,500 for the oil, but 14,000 for the oil filter.
This is all to drive the cost per mile lower.

Now, there are two different maintained schedules as well, there in the "Normal" and "Severe". How do you determine which one to use/ well for the normal one, you need to live in an area that is not subject to fog, dust, ocean breezes, sand or more then 6 inches of rain a year and has a temperature between 50*F and 85*F and you do not do more then 40% of your driving in stop and go city type traffic.

If this is not where you live (And quiet frankly, I do not know where this mythical place really is) then you should be following the server schedule.

Which says (In most cases) to do an oil change every 3-3500 miles.

Now, as to how this connects to our Harley's, well Harley recommends 5,000, and my dealer tech friends tell me 2500. I did the oil changes with a Harley filter and Mobil 1 and changed it every 4,000, and after 25,000 miles I found that I was getting a brown coating inside the engine case. I now do it every 2,500....and it still is clean inside.

·
Premium Member
10,494 Posts
I have had my oil changed every 2,500 miles, per HD's recommendation. The bike now has 97,000 miles with no engine work. Does anyone here go significantly longer? Have you done that for a long time on the same bike without any problems?
5000 miles my oil reports are in the sticky above.

I have a 2007 Ford Ranger and a 2011 Ford Fiesta and both have 5000 recommended. I give them enough at the gas pump why give them more.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I change mine anywhere from 3k to 3,500 on my bike and vehicles. I have 50K on my bike, 197K on my truck and 135K on my car without any internal engine trouble. So I am not gonna change that habit of oil change frequency. Nor do I believe anything the California Government says, nor any other government agency for that matter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 09 flstc got oil and filter at 68 miles. distance from dealer to home. Then at around1000, then around 5000. Now I change it around every 5000 ml mark. closing in on 49,000 with no engine problems. Shell Rotella T and Harley filter.

·
Just Wanna Ride
96 Posts
Being a resident of California, this is just more of the state's BS. Instead of trying to solve some of the state's problems like the massive budgetary deficit they (our elected officials) have created, they're worried about how many oil changes a year that i might do. I'm sick of these idiots.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
A Friend has a electra glide standard 2005 with 209,000 miles on it, Harley oil and filter every 3,000 enough said

·
Registered
851 Posts
Next to religion this the most debated topic I've ever seen. I've always done 5k mile oil changes with no issues, even on my 78 Trans Am I did 5k, for the last 15 years I've done 15-20k on my trucks with out any problems. Weather its Mobil 1 or Amsoil or any of the others out there the point is clear, 3k mile oil changes are a waste, but its all in personal comfort, but extended drain intervals do require you to think outside of the box.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And how might this apply to an air cooled v twin motorcycle engine?
This article is mostly about mindset, as in your case you are still changing your oil at the (2500) mileage that Harley has encouraged you to do so they can make the most money instead of what is in their OEM manual at 5,000 miles. You said you have 97,000 miles on your bike and you change at 2500 miles. So that works out to nearly 40 oil changes instead of 20. I would like to have the extra money you contributed to the dealer. Most bikers have moved up to the 5,000 mile interval and some of my customer do 7500 with a few that actually go 10,000 miles. I have many customers with over 100,000miles on them and still going strong. It really boils down to your comfort level though as you are paying the bills.
george

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if Ford now says that they do not recomend oil changes at the 3000 mile mark why then did they place a sticker on my winshield at my last oil change with 3000 miles added to my current mileage.......... someone needs to get their story straight either the service departments or the spokespeople .

LoneEagle

and this is on a new f150 it just hit 4500 miles today (wish it was mine but I get to drive it for nothing , company vehicle)[/QUOTE

Your local dealer is trying to rip you off. Most vehicles come with oil monitoring systems and none of them are set for 3,000 miles any more. I just bought a new F150 Ford and it can go as high as 10,000 mile oil changes based on the monitor. The computer that runs this is looking at all the things that can hurt oil and it makes a prediction on the life of the oil so there is no normal use or severe use to worry about when trying to determine the correct oil change interval to go with.
george

·
Registered
22 Posts

LoneEagle

and this is on a new f150 it just hit 4500 miles today (wish it was mine but I get to drive it for nothing , company vehicle)[/QUOTE

Your local dealer is trying to rip you off. Most vehicles come with oil monitoring systems and none of them are set for 3,000 miles any more. I just bought a new F150 Ford and it can go as high as 10,000 mile oil changes based on the monitor. The computer that runs this is looking at all the things that can hurt oil and it makes a prediction on the life of the oil so there is no normal use or severe use to worry about when trying to determine the correct oil change interval to go with.
george
I went through the 3,000 mile BS with my local VIOC during my LAST visit with my previous cage (2009 Chevy Silverado 4.8L V8) when I asked for conventional oil; the guy states that 'regular valvoline' cannot go longer than 3,000 miles...this happened when I showed up with @ 4,100 miles on my previous VIOC conventional oil change & I indicated that the vehicle had an oil life monitoring system and it still hadn't indicated a change yet (I wanted fresh oil for winter driving)

needless to say I haven't used VIOC since; my current cage is a 2011 Jeep Liberty and I am using the dealer for oil changes (I wrote in 5 free oil changes with the sales deal) and I like that they use Pennzoil 5w-20 conventional...my only quam with them so far is the drain plug came loose and I lost 3/4 of a quart since the last oil change a few weeks ago (I'm guessing the tech didn't torque the nut enough)

·
Registered
251 Posts
My truck's owners manual says 7500.

I got coupons when I bought it for changes at 6000

The dealer put stickers in the window for 3000

It gets good oil and great filters and goes considerably more than any of those.

the bikes go 5,000 and a bit more. Good oil, great filter, etc.

CA is on the right track for once. We just don't need to do it the old way with modern cars.

And bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts