V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first fuel injected twin Cam. Love the bike, but it idles hot at 1000 rpm. It doesnt' sound like a Harley. My Buddy is a car mech, and he said the idle control was similar to GM. He turned it down, but Engine light came on. Is this normal? Can it be idled down to carb idle speed?

TX Hank

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
......don't have the manual for the 2000 models, '03 EFI idle is around 1100. EFI shouldn't be idled down attempting to get the HD classic lope.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Idle should be between 1000 and 1100. I've read here that any lower and your oil pressure and charging systems are not working adequately...

Get a service manual, $58 and worty every penny!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
FloridaChopper said:
Just bought my first fuel injected twin Cam. Love the bike, but it idles hot at 1000 rpm. It doesnt' sound like a Harley. My Buddy is a car mech, and he said the idle control was similar to GM. He turned it down, but Engine light came on. Is this normal? Can it be idled down to carb idle speed?

TX Hank
You need to do some upgrades to "sound like a harley". Exhaust, air cleaner, cams, bb kit, do not forget HEAD WORK.......depending on available funds to what extent you upgrade....

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've got the manual. Idle is between 950~1050 rpm, with 1000 being optimum. If you drop it below 950 your oil pressure will be too low for proper lubrication.

The MM efi has dual runners on the intake, which takes away some of the idle "lope" found on the carb or Delphi models. You either have to learn to like it smooth, or spend big bucks on cams and such to get a "lope" in it.

Also, if you get too far off on the adjustment, the ecm's on the MM efi are notorious for "losing" their idle reference points (0 throttle position, cold idle, ect.) causing performance problems. I've been round and round on this with my 99 RKC,:wacko: and nothing works better than having the idles set properly at 950~1050 on hot idle.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.

I appreciate the info......I love the bike and how it runs, but all my Shovelheads and Evo's sounded great with S&S carbs,:chopper: Thunderheaders etc. This twin cam runs great but sounds like a cement mixer!

Hank

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well.........if you want more sound, go with the "true dual" headers and some free flowing slip-ons (thundercones, samson rolled thunder, wild pigs, ect.). But be prepared for some tuning woes if you do. You'll need a PCIII or SERT with some dyno time (use the dyno guy's preference), or a DFO/TFI and a lot of time reading plugs, tweaking, listening, tweaking, check gas mileage, tweaking, read plugs some more :blink: :blink: :blink:

I've also heard good things about the TVII closed loop system.

But the Twin Cam is never gonna sound like a shovel or evo. Completely different beast. It can sound like a good Twin Cam.

It only takes lots of money.:crying:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts