V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone. I am new to this site so please excuse me if I am not following correct protocall.
I just bought my first HD, a used 2000 Deuce with 5200 miles on the OD. Took the Deuce out for my fist 20 mile ride, and first noticed if was vey sluggesh. At the end of the ride, noticed a pretty good amount of oil, spray back on all parts behind the SE stage I air cleaner cover, also could see a few drops dripping from the air cleaner.

I don't think this is normal, my neighbor has a Fatboy, said something is wrong, hesaid it shouldn't be doing this. The previous owner had the Stage I kit (rejetted and air cleaner) installed by a HD dealer in Germany.

Any ideas or thoughts on this subject would be appreaicated.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
JonJon, Ed Y started a thread about a month ago, in this forum, re: "breather baffle changes for hipo engines". I fixed my problem by getting the new stage 1 air cleaner backing plate. I am reasonably convinced that when the dealer installed the original stage 1, the either used wrong parts, or didn't use all the new parts. Either way, re-routing the rubber oil breathers lines in front of the injection air inlet, stopped the problem. (my explanation won't make sense, but if you read Ed Y's thread, it should. good luck, greg

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If the bike is running sluggish, it could be jetted rich. Does any of the drips, spills, smell like gas.?? Otherwise, follow Greg's advice and find that other thread. It gives you a couple of options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look for the thread you mentioned. I didn't smell any gas, but I wasn't really thinking about it. As mentioned, after a 6 mile ride (first time riding this Deuce), when I stopped I noticed 3 or 4 drops of a light colored foaming oil dripping on the engine just below the air breather, and a small puddle of oil. It was night, and didn't notice anything else except it ran very slugesh. When you thriottle up, you get a hesitation, like it's starved for air (I think).

Anyway, the next day when I looked at the bike, I was surprised to see oil all the way down the pipes and splatters on most everything from the air cleaner back. I had only made a 20 mile trip. The prior owner had bought a 4 year warranty, sill has 1 .5 years left. Do you guyds know if this is transferable tothe new owner (me). Do I need to contact Harley and get it transfered to my name? Again, this is all new to me, I just got the Deuce a week ago (first HD).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another thing to check is if the previous owner had just cleaned and reoiled the filter, might have put to much oil on the filter. Also make sure the oil level in the tank is not over full.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If you don't have the paperwork on the extended warranty, get it from the previous owner. Most are transferrable but you need to read it to find out for sure. It will mean sending in some paperwork.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys,

I have discovered that the filter was clean, no oil residue. However, there is a small pin hole on the bottom of the top exhaust pipe just in front of thge muffler. I now think this is where the oil came from, the dealer said there shouldn't be oil in the exhaust pie, even if there was a small pin hole.

The inside of the muffler has black wet residue, dealer said it should be dry. He thinks it's oil, maybe rings. How could this be at 5200 miles?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It sounds like you may have a couple problems that need to be addressed by a good wrench. The breather issue isn't usually much of a problem on Twin Cams. As far as the pipes go, its hard to tell the difference between oil and gas mixed with exhuast carbon. I would bet that you are running very rich. The spark plugs will tell the tale on that. Just remember that simple things can cause big problems, especially on an HD motor. Just get it to a good wrench and let him do the magic. Better than worrying over a new bike that you don't have any experience with. Good Luck.

Shooter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2000 Deuce, owner put on SE high flow air kit in Germany last year, then added slash cut slip-ons (brand onknown) claims they are for Stage One. Now back in the US, HD dealer rejetted with DYNO JETs Part number 29604-00 last Oct.

Throttling up isn't very responsive, I had the Deuce check at local HD dealer, several things are noted on the work order, my concern is the mention that the mufflers are not the performance type as the owner claims, the dealer said they are EPA type and that Germany has stricter EPA regulations.

What is is the effect to the performance after SE high flow air kit and rejetting using a stock type muffler? The dealer said the plugs were fouled and had to replace them!

Thanks for any help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts