V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flush mount (or supposed flush mount) was returned. I ordered a stretch tank with dash. Test fitted last night. Fits good. Keep in mind when you look at the pics the speedo will no longer be on the bars but in the dash.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Misguided,
Looks good! Did you get it from the same place as the other one? Any problems returning the other one?
Angus

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
both tanks were bought from J&P,

J&P has an excellent return policy, no questions asked!

The first tank was a custom chrome tank, this one is a drag specialties tank, only thing I dont like is all the parts for the dash and no instructions :(

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
That looks really sweet! Do you think you'll have any problems with the bars hitting the tank or the dash?

I'm sure if you go online you should be able to find some info on how to hook everything up.

Was the tank really expensive? That would be the only change I'd make to my Sportster.

thanks,
KrustyTC

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
trip meter

I've got a quick question bro. When you install the speedo in the dash, how are you going to reach the trip meter reset button? It's on the back of the speedo. Let me know what you figure out.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cost was 415

I emailed J&P, they sent me some pdf files with instructions

bars clear the tank, the top of this tank is actually lower than the oem tank

as far as the trip meter, I already thought of that and dont know the answer yet. Considering I just got the instructions I am gonna put it all together (minus speedo) and see what I think.

one other item, the flush mount I sent back held 3.3 gallon, this one is supposed to hold 3.9

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. The button for the trip meter is really just a switch. Maybe you can remove it and lengthen the wires and install it in the side of the dash? That shouldn't be a big deal at all.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KrustyTC said:
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. The button for the trip meter is really just a switch. Maybe you can remove it and lengthen the wires and install it in the side of the dash? That shouldn't be a big deal at all.

later,
KrustyTC
you hit it on the head, I read the instructions and there is a hole on the side of the das for that purpose. The instructions suck! I put it together about 5 times today b4 I got it right

·
Registered
335 Posts
does the wiring harness from the riser now go under the dash except for the wires to the hand controls??? could you use an aftermarket speedo do you know??

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jay 21 said:
does the wiring harness from the riser now go under the dash except for the wires to the hand controls??? could you use an aftermarket speedo do you know??
I suppose you could use an aftermarket speedo, but why? Here is a pick of the speedo tore apart. The arrow indicates hole for screws

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
this is looking down into the speedo hole in the dash, the arrows indicating where the threaded screw would go for mounting the speedo. If you look you will notice three bolt heads, one at 12 oclock and two at 6 oclock, These bolts mount the dash mounting plate to the tank. The dash is then attached to this with one chrome bolt (you can see this above the middle light in the dash) . This isnt very secure, I plan on pop riveting the dash to the mounting bracket on both sides outbaord the holes (yellow x's) for mounting the speedo. This causes two problems, actually three............one you have to install those three mounting bolts throught the speedo hole, you have to be able to get the tank on and of with the dash mounted (I can), and last you have to mount the speedo in the dash with the dash attached to the tank. Which I can by turning the tank upside down and doing it from the bottom.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
left clearance

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right clearance

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
gas tank

Hey Bro,
Whats the latest on the tank project? Any pictures of the finished product?

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: gas tank

KrustyTC said:
Hey Bro,
Whats the latest on the tank project? Any pictures of the finished product?

later,
KrustyTC
put all my extra $ (no such thing) into ordering my new pipes, tank is waiting to be put on....................

1 - 20 of 23 Posts