V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this mentioned twice today, could someone fill me in on the history of this idea. Performance advantages, who makes it, anyone tested it and so forth. Hope its not a redundant question. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Major, my understanding is that it doesn't exist yet. Point being big sprockets are for low speed high tourque, and smaller spockets are for high speed low torque cruising. IMO the bike needs a 6th gear and a slightly larger 1st gear. I think the bike is just to heavy still for the 1st gear ratio, and the 5th gear is just too large for high speed cruising over 70 mph. I may be way off base here, but I think the 6th gear is needed for this motor and bike weight. - dan

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Agree with DJW, 6speed would be awesome. My Aprilia has one and I can get nearly 50mpg cruising at 65mph in 6th.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Agree with both of you. First gear ratio (and maybe second) could use some rethink. This bike needs a sixth gear bad.

Pete

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can say I ran my first gear to redline once to see where it went and I hit 55 mph. Being that the bike tops out at supposedly 135 with 5 gears, I can agree. I guess I see where the different size sprocket comes into mind as an idea now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
28 tooth sprocket will allow you to have better off the line acceleration. Just like when you take 2.83 out of car and put 4.11 in, it raises the ratio of the front to rear sprokets. Your off the line acceleration will improve top speed will be reduced and RPM's at any given speed and gear will increase thus reducing your fuel mileage. Not sure many V-rod owners used the fuel mileage estimates as part of their decision to buy, but I could be wrong :D I personally can't wait until they come out with a kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have one installed, had it made out of 7075 T6 alum. I can get more but will have to order at leased 5 or 6 for them to make them. They have the program to do it on a EDM wire machine. I bought another 30T for them to copy. The stock belt will work, but just. I don't know what the price will be for sure 4-500 bucks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Count me in! The stock belt does work? A guy a Laidlaw Harley in CA made one and he said he needed a different belt. Either way I am in.

D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts