V-Twin Forum banner

255's in an 07 96in

13K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  21943 
#1 ·
Has anyone put the 255 cams into a 96 in motor with only an exhaust and air cleaner change (plus some kind of fuel management system). I would be interested in seeing a dyno run. If it hasn't been done by anyone do any of the experts have any ideas on how it will perform as far as low end torque compaired to the stock cams.
Thanks, Dennis

#3 ·
Mike @ Latus Motors

Says NOTHING can beat the 255 cam from 1500 to 3500, NOTHING and he has built thousands of engines and has a hundred dyno combo's listed on his site.

He conceeds that after 3,500 the torque does flatten out quite a bit but on a Ultra consider how often do you really shift past 3,500 or past 4,000?

#8 ·
A street port head tune

donk_316 said:
I'm waiting on some more input on this too.

Considering throwing a 255 into my 96" w/ V&H big rad / SEAC / V&H Fuelpak
Mike said:

103 kit, 255 cam, D and D fat cat with quiet baffle, and a GOOD SERT tune and Mike says the cam will hang in a bit longer say to 4,000 making like 110 torque. 110 x 4000 divide 5252 = 83 HP @ 4,000.

Really how often do most of us shift higher than 4,000 on a bagger? do the bore on your seasoned cylinders, buy some flat tops, sent the heads to bigboyz for a street port and you have a very reasonably priced modification and quite reliable.

In a 110 kit with mild porting, 255 cams, slip-on exhaust he is showing 116 torque and 104 HP.

With no head work he is showing 108 torque and 88 HP.

With the head work the torque curve shows 118 hanging in there to 4,000-4,500 but with stock heads the torque shows 108 but falling off pretty quickly from 3,500.

I'll post a link and take a look! Note the 100 torque @ 1500 rpm. :yes:

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/mbbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=380&mid=5346#M5346

I'm betting a 103, with some bigboyz heads, a D and D quiet exhaust, Cometic gaskets, a 255 cam, and a VERY good SERT tune would give some impressive real world bagger running results. AND not a heck of a lot of money. As to reliability? What have you really done.

#11 ·
Grand Poobah said:
WHAT ABOUT HEAT ON THE 255? Does the short overlap of 13 degrees and alow greater cyl head temps? Anybody have a suggestion. The gearing on the new 6 speeds begs for the power to be low as possible but going with an EPA friendly cam gets me worried about pinging in the summer.
@gree: ! I rode a Se110 when the harley demos were here in Sept, the SE110 engine ran much hotter than the 96"ers I rode. I have also read that the published specs for the 255 cam are not accurate.

#12 ·
cardboard said:
Have you looked at the 258 HD cams.

I had the 37 andrews cams in my 07 wide glide. Very good cams, come in around 2400rpm's stay in till 6000 rpm's.
Dewey told me that the 37s work very well with the 96" motor as a bolt in (Steve has said the same).

Dewey, will be dynoing the 54 this weekend (hopefully), I'm anxious to see the results,

Dave

#13 ·
With my 103 /255's /SERT/ SE slipons I'm pulling 111.27 lbs ft and 94.23 hp
100+ from 1800-4900 110+ from 2300-2900 no head work.

If you want low end and staying with an SE , it's a good choice.

If you'rr looking outside the Andrews TW 54 ( about the same lift and longer duration) or R&R 525 would be real good choices.

#17 ·
Do you have compression releases installed on your build? If not, any starting issues ? Thanks, Troop

#19 · (Edited)
Doing cams is a good choice.
But !
Do more homework !
Don't git in a hurry.

Talk to some builders !
Listen and Learn.
And think about what you may do for a total package.

Right now you are just thinkin about cams.
You will be happy for a little while, then want some more to git the adreline flowing.

If you have a total build in mind you can do it in stages.
Don't worry about the numbers.
Look for a package that is gonna take you from point a to point b the fastest but keep the dependability in the motor.

So wait, take yer time and do a lot of homework.
Save yer money up.
Talk to the people that's going to be doing he work for you too.
You want a cam that is gonna pull good down low and not run out of power on top end as fast.
My buddy has some 204 cams and is lookin to change them already.
And do you want EPA cams ? Or Aftermarket cams!:woohoo:

Homework is a good thing.

See you have a 07 bike, the 1st thing I would do is put a Thundermax on it with Auto Tune.
Go to Youtube and watch the videos of Thundermax.

#27 ·
for bolt in se 204s ,andrews 37,with improved air intake ,exhaust and better tune is the cheapest power available with great fuel economy ,most other cams on the performance side need a combo of ,compression, air ,fuel velocity and head work ,exhaust,ignition ,and a expert to match the lot to your liking .best advice is to ride a buddys bike or your local wrench s to gauge what you really want .the variety ,like opinions is endless,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.