V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I ran that cam on my 04' Ultra with SE Perf heads. No spring change necessary with my heads. It wasn't real impressive in the low rpm range. But it lit up at around 2800rpm to the redline. I would recommend you use roller rockers with that cam. I didn't and had some minor valve tip wear. I'm much happier with the TW5-G cam now.

·
Registered
450 Posts
251 Cams

FWIW:

I used these cams in a new 2006 Street Glide build just completed. They seem to work real good. It's new but seems to have the power metioned in the previous post. I would think that gearing would be a possible fix for the low end IF you want more stump pulling power out of the chute.

In the end I guess it's up to the individuals needs.

Regards.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I ran them in my first carb'd TC 95 build that had heavy mods done and I thought they rocked. Dyno'd 104hp/105T with a 42 Mik and 32T front pulley. I thought they came on a tad late but when they did the bike was a hand full. My buddy runs them in his big bore 05 Dresser with head work, SERT, K&N, pipes and he loves them. Got to use the right spring pack on your heads but springs are cheap. Not saying they are the best out there but they don't suck. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I am with Dave, I have a set in a dresser
and they work great if you plan the package
with your head porter. They like 10:1 and higher
compression. If your running them in a light bike
ie, dyna , softail they work great with the proper
heads, carb ,pipe. I have 96hp and 99tq and I
have not tuned it yet. These cams pull 3000-6000
rpm's and higher REAL HARD!!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
SE251 cams

SEDELUXE05 said:
do yourself a favor and go with the tw5g 251 decent but imo there are better cams out there for your money. i run that cam now and am not impressed
Try the VH 2 into 1 propipe instead of the ones you have now. I installed many SE251 cams here for others and they really liked them alot. The VH 2 into 1 pipes wake these cams up bigtime...!!! (just my 2 cents anyway) :whistle:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have a nearly identicle setup to yours, SEDELUXE05, on a '03 Fatboy. I would be interested in knowing what torque and hp numbers you generated.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
mustang392 said:
why no talk on se251 cams. if they aer used which springs are used.

It's sort of like a high lift version of the 211, in some builds they are a bit like (ie act like) the TW8, the big issue is that they are not available in gear drive. Even with all SE builds they often are overlooked because they came to the party a bit late.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have generally been satisfied with my build. It has 9000 miles on it now and has been very reliable, thanks to the compression releases (10.5 cr). I've had my share of smiles. Measures 98 hp and 100+ tq. I am running the VH 2 into 1 Propipe and that may make a difference as suggested by Larry 5150. Some have said I should be doing better; maybe I should. I don't know. It doesn't come on real strong until mid range like stated above. I have always assumed that is because of the large 2.00" intake valves of SE CNC ported heads - not enough velocity. I was totally new to motorcycling and Harley when I started this project (600 miles on the bike). That's why I played it safe and stayed with with SE. I'm not sorry, but would now go another route.

Let us know how you like the Wood's cams. Pretty aggressive ramps but should give you some awesome low end torque and lots of grins. I would like to have gear driven cams, although I'm not looking for more engine noise. Already got lots of that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts