V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a Performance Machine 18x8.5 rear wheel fitted with a 240/40/18 Metzler rear tire. The wheel maintains the use of P.M.'s hub used on their narrower 18x5.5 V-Rod wheels. The rear pulley must be machined down to 1.125" from the stock width of 1.375". As a result, the stock V-Rod belt is replaced with a 1.125" belt. The front pulley must be offset 15 mm, and Rick's manufactures one for their kit that they sell separately. The stock swing arm is used, but some machining of the rear brake caliper support is required. There is also inner rear fender support modification necessary to accommodate proper tire clearance. The stock fender is more than wide enough.

With this setup, the clearance from the left tire sidewall to the inside edge of the belt is approximately 1/8". I am not the first do this. A local Harley-Davidson shop (Downtown Harley-Davidson - Seattle, WA) has done 5 of them to date, and although I am deviating slightly from their design, I am getting good advice on what works best.

I am still waiting on parts, but I have estimated a total cost of approximately $5,000.00 which includes all parts and labor that I cannot do myself.

Parts include front and rear P.M. wheels, their V-Rod rear hub, rear tire, P.M. rear pulley, offset front pulley, belt and miscellaneous hardware.

The labor that is beyond what I want to do will include mounting the rear tire on the wheel, mounting the hub, machine the rear pulley, and the proper alignment of the front pulley. Everything else is pretty straight-forward.

I am also lowering the bike about 2”, but I haven’t decided on a rear shock at this time.

I will post pictures as this project progresses. I should have all of the pieces in about two weeks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see the finished product. I wanted to do this but I did not want to change the wheels.

Good Luck,
ROB:D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jim:

You must be physic. I was thinking I owuldhave to wade through a TON of emails on various forums to find your info. Please keep me/us informed. I don't thing I want to sink $5k into a wide tire mod but I may want to do something less.

Good luck on your change project.

V-Rod 1 FL

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I have seen the Downtown HD bikes with the 240 rear tire. It looks awesome!! The only thing that isn't perfect is the rear tire is not completely centered. It is a bit off center, but not too bad considering you don't have to get a kit.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Thats how they get the 240 to fit on the stock swing arm.I have a Rick's Custom 240 on my V-rod and it's the $hit!!!!!!!!!!I doub't"it's been tried"that you will get a 240 to fit with out the off set with a stock swing arm.
Kaz............

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kaz,

What are the problems that you are experiencing with your Rick's 240 setup?

Can you post pictures?

Thanks,

Jim G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts