V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I haven't seen any in person, but I think the wheel hub might be too wide to fit. I put a 16" wheel on my wide glide and it wasn't that big an operation since the FL and Wide Glide front ends are close to the same width. I just needed some new spacers. If the narrow glide front end is much skinnier than the FL or Wide FX front end, I could see there being a problem. A few months ago I read on this forum about a guy who put a 21" wheel on his superglide, but I can't find the thread and don't remember how much work it was to do it. Sorry if that's not too much help. I'd measure your fork width then walk in to a dealership with a tape measure and check on the width of the 21" wheel hub.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HD sells a 21" laced wheel that is supposed to fit, but not sure of how to deal with the fender, as I haven't seen anything in the way of different fenders or some sort of gizmos to extending the mounting.

I'm in search of a different fender anyway since I don't really like the look of the mounting for the stock fender.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
jrehm said:
Anyone running a 21" wheel on the front of their Super Glide?
I think it can be done. Do some searches for mid glide conversions I have seen 21' kits for those fenders, wheels etc........ I have attached pictures f bikes I dont know who's but it is a 21 on a FXDL. I would also look at the difference in the diameter or circumference of the tires as far as the fender goes anyway. I have an after market fender on my bike and it is for 19 or 21 inch. Check my profile for a picture of that,( mine is a 19" wheel ). Good Luck

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I went back and looked and the 21" is for the Wide Glide. They have the 6 spoke slotted in a 21", but I'm still interested in laced wheels. Found a few places on the net selling 21" laced for the Super Glide.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
jrehm said:
Thanks for the info. I went back and looked and the 21" is for the Wide Glide. They have the 6 spoke slotted in a 21", but I'm still interested in laced wheels. Found a few places on the net selling 21" laced for the Super Glide.
I have thought about doing the same to my bike. That is why I was sure to get a fender that should be good for both. Have you ever riden a Wide Glide or something with the 21 inch? I need a new front tire so this would be a good time. You might be able to pick one up for a Wide Glide right here in the classifieds?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never rode a street bike with a 21", but had a few dirt bikes with 21" on the front and I loved them compared to some I rode with a smaller front wheel.

BTW, where did you get that fender?

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
jrehm said:
Never rode a street bike with a 21", but had a few dirt bikes with 21" on the front and I loved them compared to some I rode with a smaller front wheel.

BTW, where did you get that fender?
It is a wernimont "duster" and I cut it to the shape I wanted. I rode a few wide glides and the 21" feels kinda sketchy after the 19" but I am sure it would be Ok after a while.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the 21 from a sporty custom DOES fit perfectly no fender mods needed and uses the same spacers (as the sporty)fender just sits closer to tire more of a custom look

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
21" wheel on a super glide

hi there, this is my first post since joining this forum,so please bear with me. I have a '05 super glide my self and have recently done this upgrade. and boy am i impressed. let me tell just what all i've done to the front end and all have been a plus. i first changed the fork oil to 15w bel rey...a big difference from the stock fork oil (it seemed more like cheep ATF). next i bought a set of "works perf" duel rate front springs, they are a lot better than the factory springs...less mush, more control. then i decided to get a 21" laced front wheel,this became a chore, i bought a take-off on e-bay that was off an 05 sportster...the only thing was the wheel brngs' where too small so a trip to harley and $70 later i changed them...axle size is larger on the narrow glide.and then i bought a 90/90 metzeler tire and installed the package on the bike. everything seemed to fit ok, this tire fits under the stock fender, and the caliper has plenty of clearance. well let me tell you this was the icing on the cake!!! it handles so muce better you won't believe it. and it looks very cool too!!! if any other questions please e-mail or post a reply, thanks amos...a new harley guy!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
21 inch wheel

I have a 2001 FXD with a 21 inch (wideglide?) spoke front wheel. I can send pics if anybody would like to see it. ([email protected]) I just bought the bikeand the guys told me its a 21 from a wideglide. fender is stock.....Davey:)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Sorry, no pictures

well i'm sorry to say, i have no pictures. you'll just have to take my word for it, as i'm not that good with all this computer stuff and don't have a way to take any digital pictures. but the project has ben a great success, next is going to be a set of "works" street stacker shocks for the rear. thanks amos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Davey

whoever told you that is INCORRECT you cannot install a wideglide rim onto a bike with a narrowglide front end the hub is wider and it won't fit. to install a 21 on a narrowglide bike the rim has to be off of a narrowglide bike

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DAVEY35 said:
I have a 2001 FXD with a 21 inch (wideglide?) spoke front wheel. I can send pics if anybody would like to see it. ([email protected]) I just bought the bikeand the guys told me its a 21 from a wideglide. fender is stock.....Davey:)

pics please

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
here's another picture, I dont know who's bike it is I had been searching the net looking 21" front wheels

1 - 20 of 41 Posts