V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone thought about putting a 21 inch front wheel on their rod? its on my mind! the front wheel from the screaming eagle deuce looks like it might work. its set up for dual front calipers. i wonder what kind of hidden problems i could run into.

·
Banned
490 Posts
I'd be concerned about finding a tire you could use without scraping the fender. The V-Rod comes with a 70 percent aspect ratio tire stock, by my calculations you'd need to find a 65% aspect ratio front for that 21" SE wheel, otherwise you'd increase the radius of the wheel.

You also should double-check to make sure the V-Rod can take the wheel bearings for the SE wheel; that the brake rotors are in the same width apart; and the same diameter and thickness. Once you start having to change things like caliper and fender mounting positions such modifications become more trouble than they are worth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess i should have made a few measurements before i even thought about such an undertaking. the deuce front wheel is way too wide. looks like an entire front end would have to be fabricated. i guess ill have to wait for the germans to make something.

·
Registered
477 Posts
WHEELS

FYI, in the latest copy of HOT BIKE magazine, Dec. issue, the "ask Arlen" article, Arlen Ness is coming out with a hub kit for the VROD which will allow any of their billet wheels to be used. Says it will be available in Dec. Ness manufactures many really nice billet wheels, also available chromed. We will have to wait and see if their new hub mandates new rotors too, or whether their hub integrates the stock rotors, I'm betting it'll need new rotors too. I'm patiently waiting for aftermarket wheel options, want to replace front solid 19" with something chromed and open versus the solid polished "wind catcher". Ness is also coming out with a new headlight design and rear lowering kit. Personally, I really like the stock headlight design, its very unique, different.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've been watching for aftermarket chrome wheels. However, I don't necessarily want anything bigger as I don't want to change rotors/fenders.

I think we should all post a thread when we run across something or as they come on the market.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aftermarket Wheels for the V-Rod

Check out Performance Machine's recent crop of wheels for the V-Rod. I personally like the "Monaco," which comes in both polished aluminum and chrome. Go to performancemachine.com and take a look.

·
Registered
603 Posts
werewulf, be carefull when changing the front geometry, a 21" wheel will decrease your trail and decrease your high speed stability.

JMS

·
Registered
603 Posts
werewulf, I fucked up. the exact opposite is true of my above post. putting a 21" front wheel on will increase your trail and should increase your high speed stability, with some loss in low speed handling.

JMS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts