V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 fxdl and was thinking a 21 inch front wheel off a 2000 and up sportster would fit without any alterations? how would this effect the handeling? anyone got pics of a fxdl with a front 21 inch wheel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
JIMBRO said:
i have a 2002 fxdl and was thinking a 21 inch front wheel off a 2000 and up sportster would fit without any alterations? how would this effect the handeling? anyone got pics of a fxdl with a front 21 inch wheel?
Hey Jimbro, before you go messing around with front tire size, go check out some custom chopper sites and read their discussions on "trail". Tire size changes (without other associated changes) can screw with the handling and stability of the bike.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That 21” front tire is a poor excuse for a front wheel/tire. It’s one of the reasons why I avoided the Wide Glide. If you’re into serious riding, I’d highly recommend against putting that thing on your bike. That 21” tire is awful on road joints, steel grating over bridges, potholes, trolley tracks, uneven pavement, gravel or wet pavement.

If you’re into tooling around town and stylin’, then it might be ok. Otherwise, I wouldn’t give up the tire contact patch.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Hum-m-m-m!!! Interesting discussion. I've had 21" wheels w/Metzeler 88 tires on 4 different Dyna's and have NEVER experienced all the horrors mentioned, NEVER. I ride 15-20K miles a year on my '96 Dyna. Also had a 21" on my 2001 Dyna and put some 19,000 on it. Guess from reading the above, I'm very lucky to be alive.

Rode my '96 to Sturgis 7 times, once from Seattle and 6 times from the Chicago area. The pic I've attached was taken in the Bad Lands close to Sturgis.

As far as having "trail" problems, never had 'em. But, hey, check it out. Not say none of the above could/wouldn't happen, just never experienced it.

o~\o

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 21" is twichy over bad pavement, but the problem seems to stem from the pi$$ poor job MOCO did on the compression (linear) and rebound (none) damping of the front forks on the wide glide. From what I have read, most of the "problem" can be cured with a good set of fork springs (progressive suspension et al) and some top quality 15w fork oil. I will re post on this once this conversion is done on mine and let ya know it works. I was considering a change to a 19" wheel, but that messes up the trail specs on the FXDWG. Besides, springs and oil are cheaper than a 19" Thunderstar and a new tire...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'd have to agree with Texan on this one. I've spent years riding bikes with 21" front wheels all over the country (since late 50's or early 60's) and just haven't seen those kind of problems. Last bike I had with one on it (a 1988 FXSTS) did over 91,000 miles thru most of this country and Canada with no handling problems. I actually think on the twisty, curvy mountain roads, it handles much better than wider tires. Only thing I never was crazy about was I always wore the tread out pretty quick, sometimes 3 tires a year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Didn't intend to come off too negative on that 21" tire. Just relaying some less than desirable experiences with my '87 FXSTC as a result of that bicycle tire. Compared to the FXDL, the FXSTC did not handle as well nor did it instill much confidence over challenging road surfaces.

Then again...I was a lousy Softail... :eek: ;)

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Hey, the style of bike, either liked or preferred, depends upon each individual, kinda like taste in women. LOL What's good for some, don't work for others.

·
Registered
62 Posts
chromeyellow said:
The 21" is twichy over bad pavement, but the problem seems to stem from the pi$$ poor job MOCO did on the compression (linear) and rebound (none) damping of the front forks on the wide glide. From what I have read, most of the "problem" can be cured with a good set of fork springs (progressive suspension et al) and some top quality 15w fork oil. I will re post on this once this conversion is done on mine and let ya know it works. I was considering a change to a 19" wheel, but that messes up the trail specs on the FXDWG. Besides, springs and oil are cheaper than a 19" Thunderstar and a new tire...
Chromeyellow
I changed my 21' to a 19' thunderstar rim and a Metzler 880 front tire on my 01' fxdwg because all the bad roads here in N.Y.C. keep destroying the 21's.
Can you explain the effect of messin'up the trail specs for me? maybe what I did wasn't a good idea.However, the bike seems to handle better.
Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ed Y said:
Hey, the style of bike, either liked or preferred, depends upon each individual, kinda like taste in women. LOL What's good for some, don't work for others.
My ex wife tasted awful. Just awful.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The new wider 21 inch wheel/tires have almost the same contact patch as a 19 inch and look good too. May not be that cheap yet though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
According to the Dunlop website a D401 100/90-19 size is 26.45" in diameter. A D402 MH90-21 has a diameter of 27.2", for a difference of .75". So measure up .375" from your current tire to the fender and that will give you an idea of the clearance (assuming the given tires). Not sure how much a tire "grows" at speed due to centrifugal force but I've seen some custom bikes with seemingly nonexistent tire-to-fender clearance.

Handling and ride would probably be comparable on smooth roads. Rough roads will be worse since there is less sidewall to flex and absorb the bumps. The rim is more prone to damage from potholes, curbs, etc. due to the same reason.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You should have a 1/2 inch between tire and fender. You should have plenty of room for a 21 inch wheel. I'm pretty sure it's the same fender they use on the Sportster "custom" that has a 21.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Jimbro I looked into the same thing you are comtemplating. The fender clearance is not a problem as if you stand back and look at your front wheel with the wheel turned to the left you will see daylight between the fender and the tire. The only problem you may run into is axle size and bearing sizes. To check this out go to your HD dealership and see if they have an axle for both sizes and then mike them to see if they are the same size. If they are then check to get bearings to fit the new wheel and you are in business.

I own a 2003 Lowrider. Unfortunately I did not think about this when I was thinking about making the change. I also was thinking about dual front brakes. Turns out that HD does not make a dual disk hub for the Lowrider unless you buy one of their custom wheels and that gets expensive. Like one of the other guys mentioned is you may need to change your front suspension. Personally I have grown to love the ride the SE 19 incher gives.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I put a 21"

I put a 21" front wheel from a Sportster Custom on my 2001 DYNA Lowrider. Get a wheel from a 2000 and up and it is a direct bolt on, no modifictions required. Simply re-use your stock spacers.
There is no clearance problems with the fender as the 21" tire is a lower profile tire than the 19". The 21" is only 1/2" larger on diameter than the 19".
I loved the way it looked and didn't notice a big difference in ride or handling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hum-m-m-m!!! Interesting discussion. I've had 21" wheels w/Metzeler 88 tires on 4 different Dyna's and have NEVER experienced all the horrors mentioned, NEVER. I ride 15-20K miles a year on my '96 Dyna. Also had a 21" on my 2001 Dyna and put some 19,000 on it. Guess from reading the above, I'm very lucky to be alive.

Rode my '96 to Sturgis 7 times, once from Seattle and 6 times from the Chicago area. The pic I've attached was taken in the Bad Lands close to Sturgis.

As far as having "trail" problems, never had 'em. But, hey, check it out. Not say none of the above could/wouldn't happen, just never experienced it.

o~\o
What 21in sportster wheel will fit on a 2003 dyna super glide

1 - 16 of 16 Posts