V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the width of the 21" front that people are putting on the SG? Can this wheel still be made to accomodate a 3.5" tire? I have seen the 21x2.15 however I dont really want to go narrower than stock. What are my options if I decide to go with the 21" front? Another question I have is, if I do a 21" front will the stock 16" rear be ok or do I really need to go up to the 18"? If I did the 21" front and the 16" rear I will lower the front end with the shocks. What do you think?
Thanks
j

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
480 Posts
Intesting subject! I too have pondered my options with changing out my stock size wheels on my RK. I would rather keep stock size rear wheel. Never considered the 21" front and 16" rear with a front-end height adjustment. If my math is correct, using Avon tires, I'd need to lower the front end by 1.5" to maintain the stock level/center of gravity of the bike.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
18" looks better.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Here's mine with 18's ft and rr. You can do a 21, go with the 3 1/2" wheel, still gives you a beefy tire for the heaver bike. You need to fidgit with the fender bolts if you go 21 and keep stock ft. fender. Other wise, get a custom fender to hug your new tire.

If you keep the stock 16 rear, you have two options. 1) drop the front end. 2)raise the rear. Since the SG already has a dropped rear, bringing the front down to match makes sense. I had my EGC lowered ft and rr, but the ride was too harsh for my 55 year old butt on crapy New Jersey roads. It's now back to stock height.

Before you do anything else with your wheel choice, go to one of our site sponsors, HogPro. Quality parts at great prices. If you tell them you are a V-twinfourm member, you get free shipping! That was a ton of savings for me!

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes you can get a 3.5 tire to get a wider tire up front. If I were you I would most certainly put 18's in the rear. The back will handle closer to stock with the 21 and 18 combo vs the 21 and 16.

As the poster before me mentioned you will need to elongate the fender bolt holes to give the fender a wee bit more clearance. If you don't, the tire and fender will rub and you will have a nice paint burn mark right down the middle of your fender...don't ask me how I know this :(

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
MRG said:
the tire and fender will rub and you will have a nice paint burn mark right down the middle of your fender...don't ask me how I know this :(
OUCH!! I feel your pain!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I run the 18 21 combo. I run the wider tire also. As mentioned above, you need to elongate the holes in the fender that bolt to the fork. And remember when you have it serviced for any tire or wheel work, make sure the fender is not rubbing the wheel when you leave. Don't ask how I know either. Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks a lot for all the input. I have contacted hogpro for the wheels I am looking for. Its nice when you can learn from someone elses mistakes.:whistle: Anyhow lots of good stuff here. Again thanks.
J

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
I have a 21" American Wire 2.15 with a MH90-21 Dunlop, which is not quite 3.5 inches. I just ordered a 90/90-21 Avon which is 3.7 inches and is actually a better fit for the wheel. Diameter on the Avon is .5 larger also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the 21x18 set on my Bike and the 21 is 21 x 3.5 and 18 x 4 and the Front fender did Not have to be altered any

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
480 Posts
For those of you who have installed a 21" wheel on the front of your baggers and have modifed your front fenders by enlongating the holes where the fender is mounted, can you provide more details as to how you preformed this modification? How exactly did you enlongate the holes? Do you just use a larger diameter drill bit?

I'll be installing a 21" wheel on my front end within the next week and would like to get my fender ready for the install. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,494 Posts
rodriguc said:
For those of you who have installed a 21" wheel on the front of your baggers and have modifed your front fenders by enlongating the holes where the fender is mounted, can you provide more details as to how you preformed this modification? How exactly did you enlongate the holes? Do you just use a larger diameter drill bit?

I'll be installing a 21" wheel on my front end within the next week and would like to get my fender ready for the install. Thanks.
I used a dremel to modify the one on my '79 Superglide. Easy and clean.

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
480 Posts
Appreciate the information. Still don't quite understand the modification. Does the front fender need to be raised and/or pushed back to aviod contact with the tire? When I discuss the mod with HogPro, I was told they used an oversized drill bit to enlarge the mounting positions on the fender. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts