V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the Process (Haven't purchased the Wheels yet) of changing my 16" Wheels for the 21" 18" setup, but before I do it I was Wondering if anyone has done it and if the Stability/Control suffers any?

·
Registered
3 Posts
21" front for heritage

your front fender wont fit or barley fit unless you do some modifications. your front fender will rub the tire and eventually burn through the paint.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
This is strickly my opinion but I think the 21" on Harleys borders on ghetto. What's next, 5 inch exhaust and spinners? Tinted Windshields? 500W stereos and 12" woofers?

I think riders should also be extremely cautious about jumping to very large wheels with low profile tires. I've heard 3 people now say they went from 16" to 21" and the handling of the bike was horrible. No telling how many others went to 21" and won't admit to others or themselves. I mean who wants to say, damn, I just spend $3k and now my bike handles like shiit.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
21front and 18 rear

Agree, handling can be a problem if the wide tire isn't done right. We have a shop specializing in 300mm rear wide tire conversions for stock HDs, and we only go with the 300s and a right-side drive tranny so the bike remains balanced and the handling is great. Any larger tire and the bikes don't turn b/c the tires are too "square". Any smaller, i.e. 240/250, and the primary has to be either spaced out or offset in some way, and in either case, the weight of the bike shifts to the left. They handle like crap and stress out the primary drive in my opinion. As for the front, we keep the stock front tire size even with the low profile Avon 300s, which is a 16 x 3.5 for the Fatboy. Because of the low profile, the bike looks balanced and handles great.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Handling with 21' & 18"

This seems to be a popular topic. Contrary to Thisoldbike's comment, I think the 21" front looks great and I will probably make that switch on my Road Glide as soon as I can make a decision on the wheels. What looks good to me may not look good to you and that is what makes customizing bikes so much fun.....I get it the way I want it.

I have asked the handling question here and on another site. I have called Hogpro and Renegade asking their opinion. I have heard as many positive comments about the change to the handling as negative. Some of the comments are the same, the ride is stiffer, you get more feedback from the road, low speed manuvering is a little twitchy. Then it seems to be close to 50/50 as far as handling in the twisties. Some swear it is better. Some say it is worse. Maybe it is your riding style or the way your bike is set-up or your expectation of what the bike should feel like....etc. Who really knows??

RJ

·
Registered
473 Posts
With all due respect to "thatoldbike" opinion... I'm pretty sure my bike has no Ghetto effect, and handles better than most bagger's. I have had this set up for 16-months and would not trade it for anything. As I said in an earlier post, it's all about what your preference and riding style is. Yes, the bike rides more like a sport bike, but that is what I like. If you had never rode a stock bike and jumped on mine, you would love it. Guaranteed!! :corn:

Rocket Jocky said it well. Your gonna hear positive and negative about the set-up... It's just the way it is... Good luck with making your decision...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Everyone is open to their opinion, going to shows, and rides in the up coming summer you will see bikes with 21's and 23's and others that have changed back to 16's. It is your choice. The set I am having made for me is 21x3 front and 18x8.5 year for a custom. If they don't get the 21 built in time I was thinking of changing to a 23 if they would do it. So it is your choice on what to do. But the sizes you said 21x3.5 and 18x4 I haven't seen them but I don't like billet wheels so that could be a billet size. Who knows there are so many wheels out there in all kinds of odd sizes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts