V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quoting the owner's manual for my 1998 FLHTC (EVO 1340cc):
"Always use the proper grade of oil for the lowest temperature expected before the next scheduled oil change."

The manual states that if it will be above 60 degrees F (which I expect it to be), I should be running straight SAE 50, NOT 20W50.

The ambient temps where I'm at are 75-95F right now.

Is it a bad idea to run straight 50 weight oil in an EVO under these conditions?

Any idea why HD recommends a straight 50W vs. a 20W50 above 60 degrees F?

I'm wondering if a straight 50W might help the motor to run a little quieter (versus with 20W50)?

Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
The 20w 50 is so the bike starts easier when its cold out, or should I say cool out. I just got a twin cam this year, but I had a evo for a few years and to hold oil pressure when it was hot I ran 50w. Then in the fall I'd switch back to 20w50.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FLHT:)

I read about your problems with amsoil in a previous post.

So there was a noticeable decrease in engine noise when you went back to HD oil? I'm running full synthetic right now but the thought has crossed my mind to switch back to HD 50W just to see if the motor might run any quieter.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Two years ago we came back from Sturgis it was 102 out and my 97 and a friends 98 were both running 20-50 no oil pressure and making all kinds of noise. A year ago had 50w in it and had better oil pressure and no noise.
This year had AMSOIL in the twin cam... next year its going out with 50w in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts