V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
no
New "Revolution" engine... not a bad start but they need to get more of the older styling back for my taste and get the price down too.

·
In disguise
2,901 Posts
Aimed at a very different crowd than what we're used to here.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
852 Posts
I agree. I don't like the looks. The flatness and those pipes! But I hear it goes pretty good. Still it's just not "Harley" enough for me.

·
Registered
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is that plate holder supposed to catch most of the water from the rear tire ? Or is it a sunny day only bike.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have a friend who recently bought an Indian Scout. I think I would buy one of those before this bike, looks better and price was better.

Hopefully the looks and price improve for the Sportster
OR
they pick up a new segment of the market and it sells great with them.

Eventually the EPA and gov't along with market forces is going to force HD to a new engine design. This new engine, or one very similar to it, is coming to all of the HD lineup eventually. IMO

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The engine is a structural part of the bike... makes for interesting aftermarket challenges... I'd like to see a bit more of a tail on it and pipes running lower.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I wonder what Erik Buell is thinking about now? Some might say Harley Davidson has been there, done that. Maybe Jochen and the gang can make a go of it.

·
In disguise
2,901 Posts
Us Geriatric Bastards as you call us tend to be the ones who have and spend the bucks, so HD needs to pay attention.
I think Alan was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

Today’s “geriatric bastards” are aging out of the market and the geriatric bastards of the future aren’t spending their younger days aspiring to owning a HD. HD has to change to offer the next generations something they want.

I went to a HD dealer open house on July 4. Live band, food. Lots of riders there, coming and going. I saw one guy, one, who was below retirement age. He really stood out because of his (30’s) youth.

·
In disguise
2,901 Posts
I wonder what Erik Buell is thinking about now? Some might say Harley Davidson has been there, done that. Maybe Jochen and the gang can make a go of it.
I think Buell was always a mismatch with Harley. Or at least ahead of his time (at HD). He’s still making specialty high performance sport and racing bikes.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I see where he is now into electric. Something called a Fuell.

He was with the S/HP and racing bikes for a while. Now they just own the name.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eventually the EPA and gov't along with market forces is going to force HD to a new engine design. This new engine, or one very similar to it, is coming to all of the HD lineup eventually. IMO
Yep, that's a big driving force in this engine. Used to work there and I worked on this bike (electronics though, not engine). Already can't sell old Sporties in Europe anymore. On the positive side, the torque and horsepower are much better on this engine, too. This thing will rip.

FYI same reason a stock Harley isn't loud anymore. They're not allowed to make them that loud. That's why V&H are so popular now, can't regulate "some guy's" garage!

Harley needs some new style to stay relevant, sales have been dropping for over a decade because traditional riders are aging out, and there haven't been any bikes that appeal to the younger crowd. But, last I was there, they didn't have any plans to completely get rid of classic Harleys. This is just an addition to the lineup. It's true the new engine will eventually have to replace the old ones due to regulation, but regular Sportster should still be around a few years and I would assume there'd be a more classic style with this same engine down the road before the old Sportster is gone.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have an M2 Cyclone in the garage too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Harley is going to have to appeal to a broader segment of the riding public to stay in business. I'm one of the problems for Harley, 64 years old, have a bike I like ('07 Heritage) with no plans to replace it. Most of the younger riders want something different than I do (Adventure bikes?).

There will still be a demand for cruisers and tourers in the future but it will not be as big as it was 15-20 years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts