V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I introduced myself here; now I thought I'd start a thread on my bikes progress as I build it out.

Starting off with a FXLRS I had the dealer install forward controls and sissybar before delivery. Seat was a little slow getting here but showed up a couple of days after delivery. They me ride with a demo seat till mine came in though. I went with the "reach" 2 up seat. Has worked out to be a pretty good choice. I'm not especially short at 6' even but I wanted to be a little closer to the bars. It moves you 2" closer to the bars than stock.
Soon after I installed a set of Lucky Speed Shops shorty levers in bronze. The color is a spot on match for the Harley bronze wheels.
Then was the Kuryakyn curved, lay down, license plate mount and a MoonsMC V2 tail light. Cleans up the back of the bike quite a bit.
Next came Biltwell Aluma-grips and Mushman pegs. Top quality stuff; I was impressed by both.
Then to start cleaning up the front I installed a tiny set of LED turn signals up front. They are bright but small and hug the bars very closely.
Needed a place for my phone. I decided on the Quad-lock setup. Really happy with the choice too. Phone is easy to take on and off and the way it locks into place, it will NOT fall off.
I like the small fairing but was looking for a little more wind protection. The stock fairing directed air right under my helmet and made riding at hwy speeds less than enjoyable. So I decided to try the H-D quarter fairing. It's quite a bit better; not great but is about as big a fairing as I want so until something else comes along for this bike it'll have to do.
By this time I was coming up on the 1K service so I installed a Bassani Sweeper exhaust and took it in to get serviced and have the Screamin Eagle street tuner installed. Not happy at all with this and have pretty much decided that I'm going to have to let go of the warranty and get a real tuner done. Haven't quite decided on which tuner yet; meanwhile I'm not riding the bike hard; it is too lean to beat on it yet.
Once I got it back from it's first service I figured maybe the bike could continue to lose some weight so I started looking at batteries. The stock battery is 330 CCA but with some measuring I figured out I could fit the Battery Tender Lithium battery (480 CCA) in with no spacers etc. Almost a perfect size replacement; within fractions of an inch. The fact that a friend needed a battery for one of his bikes made the choice even easier; I donated my stock battery to the cause.

IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2598.JPG

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I still have 3 outstanding projects pending.
First I have a outer primary cover from a Fat Bob sitting here. Fat Bob comes with forward controls so it gets rid of the hole in the center of the primary cover (for shift linkage) and cleans up the side of the bike nicely. Looking for a time when I can put it on, just hasn't happened yet.
Second is a set of 5 1/2" pullback risers; just waiting for a extended brake hose for them to go on.
Third is ............ I just ordered a JW Speaker adaptive headlight (in black of course) 8691. It requires that the headlight pedestal be machined narrower to fit but shouldn't be a big deal. While I was at it I ordered a headlight bucket from a Street Bob to clean the whole thing up a bit. Needed H-D part numbers are:
67700380 Black housing
12400155 spacer ring
61400574 black trim ring

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking good. I just bought my first Harley 2 weeks ago: a Low Rider S. Mine's silver. Lots of mods to make. I have a Stage 4 kit on order with HD Forward Foot Controls, and some HD Risers. I swapped out the Stock Seat for a Saddleman seat. Looking at BST Carbon Fiber Wheels, and different suspension.

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good. I just bought my first Harley 2 weeks ago: a Low Rider S. Mine's silver. Lots of mods to make. I have a Stage 4 kit on order with HD Forward Foot Controls, and some HD Risers. I swapped out the Stock Seat for a Saddleman seat. Looking at BST Carbon Fiber Wheels, and different suspension.
Yeah I've looked at the BST wheels but not sure the gains are worth the costs on this bike. I run them on my 998R though.
As far as suspension I'm planning on the Legend fork cartridges up front as soon as I'm willing to give the bike up for a week to have them installed. I haven't decided on what to do with the rear shock yet though.

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
First I have a outer primary cover from a Fat Bob sitting here. Fat Bob comes with forward controls so it gets rid of the hole in the center of the primary cover (for shift linkage) and cleans up the side of the bike nicely.
How do you plan on plugging the hole on the inner primary?

Second is a set of 5 1/2" pullback risers; just waiting for a extended brake hose for them to go on.
Are your throttle wires, clutch hose, and switch wires long enough?

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How do you plan on plugging the hole on the inner primary?
There is a small gasket between the the inner and outer primary covers to seal it. The Fat Bob outer primary cover still meets in that area so the hole will be sealed; or at least that is what my Dealer technician tells me. I haven't done it yet; I'm waiting for my ARP black hardware to come in before I replace it. Might as well do it all at once.

Are your throttle wires, clutch hose, and switch wires long enough?
I ordered extensions because I'm not sure I am going to stop at 5.5"; I may go taller based on how they feel after living with them for a few. That said if you don't mind rerouting your clutch cable yes everything barely reaches. I'll post up images of the Harley part numbers for the brake and clutch. I didn't want to reroute so got a longer cable. FYI the Stock upper clutch cable for the FXLRS is 30" and the brake is 19". On the brake hose it uses a 12mm banjo fitting so only the bottom 3 hoses fit this bike.

EDIT: I opted to go with factory hoses / cables because I wanted to stay with the OEM look / didn't want to replace all the brake hoses to keep them all matching. I also wanted to keep a 2 piece clutch cable; not that anything is wrong with the one piece cables; but if you switch to a one piece cable 1) you have to open up the clutch cover to replace it and 2) adjustments aren't quite as easy in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So some good AND bad news. I got everything I needed and installed the JW Speaker 8691A. That is the good news; the bad news is that light does NOT fit in the Street Bob headlight bucket. The cooling fins are too big and it just doesn't fit. I guess if you were willing you could grind down the fins some but I wasn't willing to do that. This also means no black trim ring. The JW Speaker uses a industry standard 3/4" mounting; naturally Harley does not (uses 1 3/4" if I remember correctly) so to use this headlight the pedestal needs to be machine narrower to 3/4". Not a big deal but worth mentioning. That also means buying a 1 1/2" bolt (easily sourced at Homet Depot etc) for the narrower mount. For anyone considering this type of headlight swap; some things to think about. Yes these bikes come with LED headlights BUT they are reflector based. There are gains to be had by switching to a projector based LED. The DayMaker line of Harley headlights are made by JW Speaker and are a good solid choice. No mounting modifications are needed AND they will fit the Street Bob headlight bucket if you decide to go that direction. Something to note; JW Speaker light are DOT compliant. That means legally they are limited as to how bright they can be. I know my 8691A is at the legal limit; not sure about the DayMaker but I suspect it is too. If you want even bright; a non DOT compliant light (such as those made in China etc) is another option. I think the MoonsMC Fly Eye falls into this category. I decided to go the more difficult route with the 8691A because 1) it was a bit cheaper and 2) because I wanted something a little less commonly seen on these bikes. Over-all I'm pleased with the install and have no regrets.

EDIT: Almost forgot, the trim ring doesn't come with the screw so if going that route order the screw too. I never got the part number for that.

PS: I have a bucket, gasket and trim ring that I can part with for anyone going that route. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying to catch up here on a few things. Just a couple of small alterations. I ordered and installed a Green Bros shift linkage a little while ago. In keeping with the blacked out theme it is all black. What I like about this linkage is not only is the linkage black but the heim joints are black as well. It also comes with black ARP hardware. I also plan on pulling the inner shift lever (now chrome) and having it black powder coated, when I find some time.
While I was messing around with the bike I also pulled the taillight housing and vinyl wrapped it in gloss black. A cheap easy thing that took about 30 minutes and looks good (to me). I opted to go this route instead of buying the MoonsMC black housing because the Moons housing isn't a true replacement. It is missing the molded in lower clip that keeps the housing tight to the fender and is only attached by the single screw. I decided to stick with OEM quality, so just wrapped it. If it wears (after 5 years?) I'll just wrap it again. A roll of the wrap was $10 from Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
One last post today :)

As I've mentioned I was really unhappy with the SE tuner (total waste of money); and finally decided on a tuner. I was leaning heavily toward the TTS but in the end opted for the Power Vision. The gauge feature is what sold me in the end. To me being able to monitor engine temp was huge. So I ordered the PV and with luck should be this week. That said, getting a little proactive I decided to mount the new air cleaner I've had sitting around waiting for a decent tune. I really like the look of the stock air cleaner and wanted to stick with it the best I could so I decided that I'd give the Fuelmoto K&N kit a try. It is a bit on the pricey side and does have some fitment issues but I opted to see it on the bike and decide for myself. So the biggest complaint about the K&N kit is that it doesn't sit level on the bike (a little lower in the rear). Fuelmoto modifies the kit and addresses that the best they can but it still isn't quite level. So you can judge for yourselves how it looks. I think I'm okay with it but to be honest I haven't lived with it yet so still reserving judgement. So anyway, I took a couple of hours yesterday and drilled and tapped it for a DK Customs external breather kit and went ahead and mounted the whole thing. (If I want to ride while I'm waiting for the PV I can always switch the stock AC back on in a few minutes) It is still a work in progress as I haven't plumbed the hoses yet. I'm looking for black hose clamps for it LOL Also the stock cover doesn't fit as well as I'd like but I'm pretty sure I can fit that. The filter has a very thick rubber on the sides that does allow the cover to as far in as I'd like and leaves a little gap on the section that covers the top of the filter, but I'm pretty sure I can trim it a little and get it the way I want it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot. I installed a vented dip stick too (you can barely see it in the second picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go with a 2into1 if you want useable power/torque along with much improved real world drivability. I almost bought one of these new S's the other day, I sure wish HD could have stuck with the Dyna frame for the Low Riders. My 16 DLR-S is one of my favorite bikes. My 19 Slim handles pretty well with the 12.2" Progressive shock, plus it lowered the rear about an inch. Might work well for the new Softail LRS too. I wouldn't sweat all that other bolt on stuff... keep it simple and keep it on the road. Ride safe.
LRS1.jpg

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go with a 2into1 if you want useable power/torque along with much improved real world drivability. I almost bought one of these new S's the other day, I sure wish HD could have stuck with the Dyna frame for the Low Riders. My 16 DLR-S is one of my favorite bikes. My 19 Slim handles pretty well with the 12.2" Progressive shock, plus it lowered the rear about an inch. Might work well for the new Softail LRS too. I wouldn't sweat all that other bolt on stuff... keep it simple and keep it on the road. Ride safe.
Yeah; admittedly I went 100% looks when I choose this exhaust and I'm not at all sure I'll keep it. All depends on how the bike dynos after I do the cam.

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention I installed cruise control about a month ago. They were on back order for a while but came off 8/3. I got mine the next day and installed it that weekend then took it in to have the ECU flashed to enable it. I've never been a big fan of cruise and never use it in any of my cars but on the bike it does give you a chance to move your right hand every now and then to get comfortable. Was worth the investment ($250) plus the flash.

I think I might head outside in a bit and start replacing hoses and cables; maybe even put the new risers on if I get that far. Everyone enjoy their holiday. :)

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
I've never been a big fan of cruise and never use it in any of my cars but on the bike it does give you a chance to move your right hand every now and then to get comfortable. Was worth the investment ($250) plus the flash.
My throttle friction screw does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MotoBoss

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My throttle friction screw does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Yes it does; the electronic cruise has a couple of advantages though. It maintains speed, not throttle position. And it disengages when you touch any of the controls, brakes, clutch and throttle. I won't argue the merits of cost over features other than to say in this case I opted to go with the features. :)

Nicely done rogue. Big fan of black with chrome bits and pieces.
Thank you Sir

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bags came in today; 15 minutes later they were on.

Leather pros 1.jpg Leather pros 2.jpg Leather pros 3.jpg

·
Registered
2020 FXLRS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I can see ^^^ that we need more pictures of the jeep not just the back tire.lol
So I pretty much have 4 hobbies; Jeeps, Guns, Motorcycles and Ham Radio. Here is a picture from each LOL

Jeep picture is a little dated; I've gotten bored with taking pictures; besides I suck at it.
The Ham radio stuff is mostly mobile type stuff. I have a base camp setup that stays with the off-road trailer and then the radio in the Jeep so I can stay in touch with base camp.
Gun stuff, I do a lot of reloading but also a little hobby gunsmithing (not allowed to make money at it without an FFL).
And my other bike is a Ducati. I come from the sport bike world, just calming down in my old age I guess.

DSC_0034.jpg IMG_0143.jpg IMG_2273 (2).JPG IMG_2293 (2).JPG R75F.jpg

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Hmm you wouldn't want to see my woods jeep and sometime sand buggy. I get a wild hair and take a brush with soapy bucket to it. She is painted black now, but it will soon be the same color as the cat tracks on my hood.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi you guys, my name is Dave, I'm 78 years old, been riding Harleys for 63 years. I just bought a new Low Rider S and got 750 miles on it already. I still have an original 94 FXLR that I claimed was the best handling Harley ever built. Now I give that to this new FXRS which is a great bike. I like reading all the mods you guys are making. I changed the stock mufflers to NEIGHBOR HATERS by Cobra so I could at least hear the bike when its running. I'm going to get cruise put on it after the 1000 mile service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts