V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what just happened to me...Bought a brand new 2019 SG 114" in October 2019 billiard blue, motor all stock accept Vance and Hines slip on's installed at dealer. Bike is dated - built May 2019 Drove it home with 4 miles on it.
1000 service done at dealer all syn 3 in march 2019
Just turned 4400 miles in June. Bike has run flawlessly for the 9 months since I bought it new.
So there has been a Loud noise coming from front head cylinder at hot idle for a couple weeks, checked oil and it was a quart low and added, at that point I had a bad feeling, so I brought it to dealer to check out, still under warranty since I did not touch motor.
Mechanic and service manager came out and heard noise and said "That does not sound right" so the dealer started to dig into it for a day or so. I came to the dealer today and the bike is torn down to the cases. After talking to the mechanic and service manager the oil pump failed. The cylinder walls were scored and the pistons had carbon and oil caked to the top of them. Also the valve seals were trashed. Long story short. Harley is replacing the pistons, cylinders, valve seals, oil pan and oil pump. Only 4400 MILES!! fourth Harley but first new one and I do not have a good feeling about this bike now.

Has anyone else have had similar issues and what did you do?

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
I understand why you're disappointed. It sucks bad, but you're going to get it fixed and the engine will be as good as new again. I've had mechanical issues before. Fix it and keep rolling. Mechanical stuff just fails sometimes. Chances are that you'll never have another major issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I totally get it mechanical things break especially being in the mechanical trades every day. But **** only 9 months old. I’ve had a twin cam for 12 years and beat the **** out of that thing with no issues. You right I’m going to get it fixed and ride it again I’m not sweating that. Only question is should I get the stage 3 kit Installed while she’s apart? Labor would’ve covered under warranty just have to pay for the difference in the cost of the parts. Also should other bikes out there be worried of this oil pump issue. I rode about 200 miles a week and kept the rpms between 2500-3500 most of the time. Bike is a blast to ride. Night and day from my old RK

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
if the oil pump failed,, the crank and rods are toast,,, as are the pinion anf sprocket shaft bearings..

you are goung to end up with a new engine,,,, now would be an oportune moment to pay the difference and upgrade to the 131...
a friend had the 131 dealer installed on a brand new street glide before he picked it up,,, he is very happy..

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I do wonder why the dealer would not just put in a new engine instead of repairing just a half an engine since the "oil pump failed". Sure, I understand the economical impact of new instead of rebuilt, but the engine should be totally rebuilt at the least. New would save the dealer time. Seems like a wimpy fix to me. You're going to be riding that bike wondering when it's going to fail. Not a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
20,559 Posts
Call them first thing in the morning. Put a stop on that repair. Then tell them to have the factory rep authorize a new motor. You do not want to run that bottom end after a pump failure.

Dealers sell that repair because they make more money off of the labor. Every person I know that had a pump failure got a complete engine once the factory got involved. Some after multiple repairs by the dealer. You can't the trash out without a complete tear down, and few if any dealers can dissemble, inspect and repair cranks.

If the dealer balks, ask them how they inspected the rod bearings. They didn't, they just checked the rods for movement. But that bearing can tighten up as it fails and be full of trash that was pumped in as the pump began to fail. They will tell you that they do this repair all the time, yada yada yada. So you might have to put your foot down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vance and Hines slip-on's are 'not' covered, contingent upon the stipulations in the warranty policy of HD. Curious to know how HD is covering the repairs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The noise I was hearing was the bottom of the piston slapping the sidewall of the cylinder at idle. The mechanic showed me the cylinder and the gouging to the sidewalls. According to the mechanic the oil pump pumped oil to the motor but did not scavenge it back to the pump, so it starved the motor for oil. I guess that was why the carbon build up on the piston and valve seats. He asked if I notice it over heating.. but I have ridden Harleys for years and they run hot so that was not out of the ordinary. When I heard the noise I knew something was not right. To me if the piston was slapping the sidewalls there has to be premature bearing wear where it shouldn't have any wear. The dealer contacted the factory with pics and the repairs they came up with I mentioned earlier. Cylinders, pistons, valve seals, oil pump and oil pan. I have not authorized any repairs yet and do not have a good feeling about any of this. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
in all honesty with todays restrictions,, they could refuse to repair or replace the engine,, then you are stuck with the bill.. they would be within their rights to do so..

dealers do that song and dance to everyone,,, raising the bill incrementally... warranty seems to make no sense,,, there is a claim procedure that must be followed,, it takes more time, is ridiculous,, and adds thousands to the bill and wears on the owners nerves..
its just their protocols,,, you should have reinstalled to OEM mufflers, before taking it in an an engine claim.. hopefully you will get by this time

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My question is why did my motor do this? Did I put to may miles on it in 9 months? Did I ride it too hard? I get mechanical things break, but will the new design of the oil pump stop this from happening again? I am going to let the dealer and HD make the stock repairs and ride the hell out of it for the next year until it is out of warranty and then see if it lives up to the HD name. I can tell you I will be checking the oil religiously and keeping an eye on things. I take pride in working on my own bike and running it hard. Lets see if it lives up to the reliability my old twin cam. I will post updates when they happen. Thanks for everyone's 2 cents. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is what just happened to me...Bought a brand new 2019 SG 114" in October 2019 billiard blue, motor all stock accept Vance and Hines slip on's installed at dealer. Bike is dated - built May 2019 Drove it home with 4 miles on it.
1000 service done at dealer all syn 3 in march 2019
Just turned 4400 miles in June. Bike has run flawlessly for the 9 months since I bought it new.
So there has been a Loud noise coming from front head cylinder at hot idle for a couple weeks, checked oil and it was a quart low and added, at that point I had a bad feeling, so I brought it to dealer to check out, still under warranty since I did not touch motor.
Mechanic and service manager came out and heard noise and said "That does not sound right" so the dealer started to dig into it for a day or so. I came to the dealer today and the bike is torn down to the cases. After talking to the mechanic and service manager the oil pump failed. The cylinder walls were scored and the pistons had carbon and oil caked to the top of them. Also the valve seals were trashed. Long story short. Harley is replacing the pistons, cylinders, valve seals, oil pan and oil pump. Only 4400 MILES!! fourth Harley but first new one and I do not have a good feeling about this bike now.

Has anyone else have had similar issues and what did you do?
2018 RG-At 9200 miles on my bike a friends bike started to blow oil out the air filter. I pulled the cover off my S & S filter and found the filter filled w/ oil half way up and about 2 oz of oil on the bottom of the T.Body. curve. Took the bike in to dealer,raised H*^# and was told to ride till 10,000 mi. service and they would look in to it. They tore down motor and told me the damage was 8 out of 10, w/ 1 being best. Said they would rebuild motor and wanted to know if I wanted the torque cam put in. I asked if this was the cam that was included w/ the 114, Stage 3 kit. Was told it was, so I said if I buy the kit, is the labor free? After a few checks they said it was. Bingo! Put in a new "2020" oil pump, checked and " tested" bottom end, new 114 Stage 3 kit and the rest of the parts needed for the repair. Went from a broke 107 to Stage 3 114 for about $1500. After break-in and some miles on motor ran it to GPS speed of 138. 126 was tops before. Dyno'ed it yesterday 100 HP, 109 Torque. The problem was the old oil pumps. Several of my buds have not had problems w/ the M8, but 2 of us have. I think it's the way we ride, maybe a bit harder or maybe the luck of the draw. Anyway that's my very similar story. Good Luck ,

Jerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your story Jerry! I was in a similar boat when they tried to up sell me the 117" kit for my 114" at the dealer with the" labor for free" and just pay for the parts difference while my bike was broke in their shop. I thought about it all weekend and by Monday I just couldn't give the dealer another cent after just paying 25k for a new bike 9 months before. To each his own. I did buy a woods cam a month earlier and was going to put in with a pv vision tuner and new head pipe in the fall. But that might be on hold to see if this rebuilt motor will not show any gremlins over the next year. -Good news the dealer called today and bike will be done tomorrow hopefully. I will post an update next week. I am going to buy an oil pressure gauge next week as well to monitor the oil over the next year too. I do think my riding style, with a heavy throttle, definitely played a role in this engines oil pump failure. I am just frustrated with HD right now. Once I get riding again I am sure my mood will change, It usually does. Riding is my therapy. Thanks again

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting your 'update' here! As you know, I'm gritting my teeth as I think I have the same problem you had only mine is in the early stages of failure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea I totally get it mechanical things break especially being in the mechanical trades every day. But ** only 9 months old. I’ve had a twin cam for 12 years and beat the ** out of that thing with no issues. You right I’m going to get it fixed and ride it again I’m not sweating that. Only question is should I get the stage 3 kit Installed while she’s apart? Labor would’ve covered under warranty just have to pay for the difference in the cost of the parts. Also should other bikes out there be worried of this oil pump issue. I rode about 200 miles a week and kept the rpms between 2500-3500 most of the time. Bike is a blast to ride. Night and day from my old RK
New to this forum. Saw this & had to reply. I own a 2019 Special bought new last September. Just hit 5K miles and I run the sheet out of it. I LOVE this machine!! I've added about $8K worth of upgrades and have never had a preformance issue of any kind. I am very active on the Harley forum and the RK Special thread there. No one has complained about what you're atlking about. I'd do the stage 3 while it's broken down. I plan on adding the Red Shift 468 cam, upgrade the oil mupm, collars, lifters, pushrods, etc this winter. Yours was obviously a "one-off".

As I said...I LOVE MY SPECIAL! After owning a new 2015 Road King, I can confirm that Harley knocked it outta the park with this model and the M8 motor. I am in biker heaven every time I climb on 'er!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My question is why did my motor do this? Did I put to may miles on it in 9 months? Did I ride it too hard? I get mechanical things break, but will the new design of the oil pump stop this from happening again? I am going to let the dealer and HD make the stock repairs and ride the hell out of it for the next year until it is out of warranty and then see if it lives up to the HD name. I can tell you I will be checking the oil religiously and keeping an eye on things. I take pride in working on my own bike and running it hard. Lets see if it lives up to the reliability my old twin cam. I will post updates when they happen. Thanks for everyone's 2 cents. I do appreciate it.
Simple...you got a lemon motor. A weak oil pump or whatever. it happens. You were simply just not lucky. Get a new motor and RIDE!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm anxiously awaiting your 'update' here! As you know, I'm gritting my teeth as I think I have the same problem you had only mine is in the early stages of failure.
I do have an update-Got the bike back about 2 and half weeks ago, on a Monday, rode it for about 200 hundred miles until Friday, put it on the back of the truck and left for Sturgis. Everything for the first couple hundred that week seemed ok. No noises, no power loss. We got to Sturgis on Sunday and put a couple hundred miles a day on the bike, oh by the way they changed the oil and filter during the motor tear down like you would expect. I changed the trans and primary with Amsoil oils before I left for Sturgis. Now the bike had about 4500 miles before I left, we were 5 days and now it has about 5500 miles. As the week went on the bike started to make noise coming from the front cylinder every day when hot at idle, and is starting to get worse. Yesterday it started to hesitate when taking off from a stop I noticed. I going to pull the plugs tonight and check oil, see what they look like, put some 93 gas in it clean the plugs and go from there. I will be going back to the dealer as the noise persists. Kind of don't know what else to do at this point. See what happens. Bike is still under warranty so well see what HD says

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update-brought bike back to dealer today, the noise from the front cylinder is getting worse when hot at idle, chattering from cylinder and head is getting louder as well. Sounds like something is loose and rattling around. Mechanic listened and said sounds like a lifter bled down? anyway going back into the shop next week. We'll see what this brings.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
any update on the motor saga

1 - 19 of 19 Posts