V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am new to M8 motors team.
Just purchased brand new 2019 FXDR 114 bike from local dealer here in Poland. Bike will be delivered to my door next Monday.
Need to know if the sumping and tranny venting problems {occurred in earlier bikes} are solved already in 2019 bikes?
Going to order Cycle-Rama 470 cams as the stock output is not enough for me. And want to know if need to change the oil pump or other component as well? What is a must?

Another question is : How does stock FXDR 114 air filter flow? Poor? Must be upgrade at the first mods? What about stock exhaust system?
Thanks for all the answers

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
Latest version of the string of new oil pumps were installed in motors built after June of 19. So if its a late 19, it might be fixed. Early 19s are still broken.

Breather and exhaust suck donkey balls, and so does all the stuff SE sells.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oil pump problem...Here is what just happened to me...Bought a brand new 2019 SG 114" in October 2019 billiard blue, motor all stock accept Vance and Hines slip on's installed at dealer. Bike is dated - built May 2019 Drove it home with 4 miles.
1000 service done at dealer all syn 3 in march
Just turned 4400 miles in June. Bike has run flawlessly for the 9 months since I bought it new.
So there has been a Loud noise coming from front head cylinder at hot idle for a couple weeks so I brought it to dealer, still under warranty since I did not touch motor.
Mechanic and service manager came out and heard noise and said "That does not sound right" so the dealer started to dig into it for a day or so. I came to the dealer today and the bike is torn down to the cases. After talking to the mechanic and service manager the oil pump failed. The cylinder walls were scored and the pistons had caked on oil to the top of them. Also the valve seals were trashed. Long story short. Harley is replacing the pistons, cylinders, valve seals, oil pan and oil pump. Only 4400 MILES!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil pump problem...Here is what just happened to me...Bought a brand new 2019 SG 114" in October 2019 billiard blue, motor all stock accept Vance and Hines slip on's installed at dealer. Bike is dated - built May 2019 Drove it home with 4 miles.
1000 service done at dealer all syn 3 in march
Just turned 4400 miles in June. Bike has run flawlessly for the 9 months since I bought it new.
So there has been a Loud noise coming from front head cylinder at hot idle for a couple weeks so I brought it to dealer, still under warranty since I did not touch motor.
Mechanic and service manager came out and heard noise and said "That does not sound right" so the dealer started to dig into it for a day or so. I came to the dealer today and the bike is torn down to the cases. After talking to the mechanic and service manager the oil pump failed. The cylinder walls were scored and the pistons had caked on oil to the top of them. Also the valve seals were trashed. Long story short. Harley is replacing the pistons, cylinders, valve seals, oil pan and oil pump. Only 4400 MILES!!
Bought a 2019 ultra classic at 1000 mile service took it back to due first service i told dealer i smelled oil bad on slow down they told me keep driving let it break it so at 1600 mile i took it back told them that its getting worse they told me to keep driving it so i put miles on it i now had put 2068 miles could smell oil bad so i took it to my dealer told him here's the keys don't care what you do with it something is wrong finally 3 days later they called me said yeah the engine is pumping oil in the cylinders 1 month later i get my back but i went ahead and sprange for the stage 4 kit not that i need any more power i just wanted everything replaced will say i like the power but valve train is a lot louder now i will say this to everyone that has a milwaukee 8 engine no matter 107,114,117 no matter install a nice crankcase breather they build a lot bottom end pressure my 2 cents

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is my experience with M8-114.
I bought a Ultra Limited in July 2019 new from dealer. Bike is great to ride and I enjoying every ride, there have been many hickups with this bike I think many of the problems is bad quality in many places.
Now the bike have 13750miles(22000km)

Lost function on switches on left side, was bad connection on electrical plugs under batwing, bad o2 sensor front syl.(dealer refused warranty)
and there have been many other small hickups around the bike , none of them major problems but on a bike to 28-30k$ I demand better, but there have been many of them.

Boombox stageII
After a while main speakers loose contact with amp and then it only use sound from radio on Mid and Tweeter.
This is under investigation at HD Tech department thru dealer.

Now to the worst problem:
Replaced cam(s&s 475c)(also replaced lifters to s&s hydr. premium lifters, pushrods to s&s adj. pushrods, cuffs to
s&s cuffs) at 5062 miles(8100km)(changed cam myself), bike was tuned in dyno with
TTS Mastertune(done by dealer), I change oil w/filter every 3125miles(5000km), tranny once a year, primary once a year, brake and clutch fluid every two years.

From when bike was new i have used the following oils:
Motor: Amsoil 20w50, Tranny: Amsoil Transmission oil, Primary: Spectro heavy duty primary oil.
at 11250miles(18000km) bike starts to use oil on 137miles(220km) it use halv quart(0,5L) that is for me not acceptable at all, so another round with dealer,
they have had bike in shop to verify that there is no outer leaking, sumping, oil transfer, had them to change oil and after a ride, in again to have them to verify oil amount in motor. . . .
oil usage verified

How to fix this problem:
Dealer refuse warranty coz in their own words: "I have used an unoriginal part in motor therefore there is no longer warranty on motor"
To me that is just horsecrap S&S is one of the biggest producers out there and in my opinion far better that what's original in motor from HD.
So now the bike is at another HD shop (not a dealer shop) I don't trust dealers at all anymore.
Warranty on motor is bothering me big time, I guess I just take the cost myself.

Conclusion:
I have own several HD's never had problems like this, will I buy another HD again ..... I don't think so.
That statement from dealer that its an unoriginal part in motor and therefore no warranty
is the worst pisstalk I have ever heard.
I have asked dealer the following question.... Take motor apart and dokument what made motor use oil , if it can be dokumented that its the cam/lifters ill pay for the rep , if its another cause all this shall be on warranty.
I sendt the email on 4th November they haven't yet bother to reply . . . . Well that says it all at least for me.
For the future I will stay far away from dealers and HD in the future, I'm serious pisst....

Hope others have been more lucky than me, but I have read about a lots of problems . . . . .
I still love Harley Davidson, fantastic bikes . .. . . .

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
You changed the cam and used an aftermarket part. That voided the powertrain warranty. Then you had the dealer flash the ecm with a Mastertune, that not only voided the warranty again, but also flagged it in the system. So moving forward, the oil usage repair and any other power train repairs are on your dime. Nothing complicated or difficult to understand there. And you have no recourse to force the MoCo to see it your way. What you did is called "Tampering with an emission controlled vehicle", and that is a Federal crime, so you can not take them to any court or state mediation council to get the issue resolved on their dime.

If its using a qt every 300 miles, it shouldn't be to hard to find the cause. Probably either a scored cylnder, or a split valve seal/loose guide. But first you need to be sure that the missing 1/2 quart of oil isn't just caught in the sump. When you swapped the cam, did you check to see which oil pump was installed in the motor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You changed the cam and used an aftermarket part. That voided the powertrain warranty. Then you had the dealer flash the ecm with a Mastertune, that not only voided the warranty again, but also flagged it in the system. So moving forward, the oil usage repair and any other power train repairs are on your dime. Nothing complicated or difficult to understand there. And you have no recourse to force the MoCo to see it your way. What you did is called "Tampering with an emission controlled vehicle", and that is a Federal crime, so you can not take them to any court or state mediation council to get the issue resolved on their dime.

If its using a qt every 300 miles, it shouldn't be to hard to find the cause. Probably either a scored cylnder, or a split valve seal/loose guide. But first you need to be sure that the missing 1/2 quart of oil isn't just caught in the sump. When you swapped the cam, did you check to see which oil pump was installed in the motor?
No I did not check what oilpump, but anyway bike is being tear down at a local shop who just work on HD's
(not at dealer)
I didn't said it was difficult or complicated to understand, im just disappointed that's all.
Why would i take them to court for this little ting, that is just a waste of time.
The cost will not be that much to get it fixed.
It probably just a scored cylinder, or a split valve seal/loose guide nothing major.
Dealer have conformed that there is no sumping in this motor.
The problem is rear syl , its spitting out smoke and oil residue from mufflers.

Life goes on even with this hickup.

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
No I did not check what oilpump, but anyway bike is being tear down at a local shop who just work on HD's
(not at dealer)
I didn't said it was difficult or complicated to understand, im just disappointed that's all.
Why would i take them to court for this little ting, that is just a waste of time.
The cost will not be that much to get it fixed.
It probably just a scored cylinder, or a split valve seal/loose guide nothing major.
Dealer have conformed that there is no sumping in this motor.
The problem is rear syl , its spitting out smoke and oil residue from mufflers.

Life goes on even with this hickup.
They way your post reads, it sounds as if you were not aware of the warranty issue when the work was done.

But moving forward, good luck with it. And cross your fingers that it doesn't need a new head.

Do check the oil pump, the early 19 builds had the old style pumps in the them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They way your post reads, it sounds as if you were not aware of the warranty issue when the work was done.

But moving forward, good luck with it. And cross your fingers that it doesn't need a new head.

Do check the oil pump, the early 19 builds had the old style pumps in the them.
Thanks for all you're good input Thermodyne , its only money so its no big deal, just pay up and be happy :) :)
since its tear down now I will replace oil pump just to be safe.
Personally i think the warranty issue in this case is just bullish.. but then again im used to it.
But as I have said before I love HD's bikes but will not buy another HD when that times come.

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
Thanks for all you're good input Thermodyne , its only money so its no big deal, just pay up and be happy :) :)
since its tear down now I will replace oil pump just to be safe.
Personally i think the warranty issue in this case is just bullish.. but then again im used to it.
But as I have said before I love HD's bikes but will not buy another HD when that times come.
Harley didn't adopt this warranty stance on their own, it was forced on them by the EPA and Federal courts. Specifically the forfeiture of the powertrain warranty for tampering. The EPA required that the ecm log and report any tampering so that the scooters could be flagged during routine service visits.

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
I see what is probably oil from the breathers cooked onto the piston.

A misalignment on the piston, as in bent rod or machining error on the cases.

And worst of all, particle scoring on the piston. That means there is another failure in the motor, tappet roller, crank pin, oil pump, something that was made from hardened steel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Harley Davidson Reply.
The carbon build up is normal. The scoring on the piston is common, we have changed the Torque procedure which our technicians all follow so we don’t see this as a future occurrence.
No wonder they were hesitant about returning my parts.

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
Harley Davidson Reply.
The carbon build up is normal. The scoring on the piston is common, we have changed the Torque procedure which our technicians all follow so we don’t see this as a future occurrence.
No wonder they were hesitant about returning my parts.
Is that a factory installed piston, or a dealer installed upgrade?

Here is a set of 0em 103 pistons with more than 40K miles on them. Note the way the wear is centered, and light. Also note the lack of scoring.

This is an Evo piston with about 25K on it. This is more or less the maximum amount of scoring you should see.

The piston in you photo is either a badly defective motor, or some real substandard repair work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts