V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 2017roadster with 12k miles on it has this 1st time encounter
Oil lamp stays on longer after start up even after a good run. It usually stays on only by a second or 2. Now even after a good run. When I shut it off then fire her up after a few minutes. The oil lamp stays for around 12 seconds.
Bike has jagg oil cooler and this the 1 st time I encountered this scenario.
Anyone experienced this also?

·
Super Moderator
3,205 Posts
I assume it is full of good quality oil.I'm not aware of Sportsters having any inherent oil pressure problems.Taking that in to account,I would probably replace the oil pressure switch that is mounted to the engine and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume it is full of good quality oil.I'm not aware of Sportsters having any inherent oil pressure problems.Taking that in to account,I would probably replace the oil pressure switch that is mounted to the engine and see if that solves the problem.
This is the first time I am switching from syn3 to another brand. Mag1. Thesame viscosity.
I just performed the 12k m change oil. This maybe a developed trouble?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
12 seconds is a long time. Did you bleed / allow oil to flow out of the drain tube with the engine running? If not there is a chance a bubble is holding the oil back.
Oops... looks like the tank flow was redone to eliminate that possibility.
Cheap fix would be the oil pressure switch, the lite should go out real quick.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
its as therm says, hook un a test gauge,, and check the actual oil pressure...if you do not have the tools to diagnose the issues,,, you are just guessing and tossing parts and money at it,,, hoping 1 will turn the light off,, although thst doesnt exactly mean it is now fixed..

if i were going to sling parts at it,, i would mount a mechanical gauge, some where in your line of sight,,, or replace the sending unit for the oil pressure light..

·
Super Moderator
20,835 Posts
That's if he has one or knows someone that does. I'm aware that it's generally not a good idea to throw parts at a problem.
You can use a real one, if its available. Or you can skip the $100 tax and just get one of the $19.19 dash gauge kits from the auto parts store and use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts