V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 FLTRUSE with a twin-cooled 110" in it. Definitive answers on what cam is in it and what the actual performance numbers are, are hard to come by. The guy I'm working with at my dealership is trying really hard to help me and make sure I'm happy, but I need some real answers.

Far as I know, this bike comes with a 255 SE cam that produces 115.1 lbs torque @3750 rpm and 97.9 HP at 5000 rpm. It's not a half bad setup. I came into some cash and wanted to drop a cam and a Harley tuner in but I'm not sure if I'm going to get any real improvement for the money. The cam we were* discussing was the 259 SE. Now we're contemplating the 585 SE. In looking at the Torque/HP charts in the catalog, it doesn't look like I will get any additional power, it will just move it to a different RPM point. Is that true or what? Any recommendations on the Harley cam I *should* get installed?

Thanks!
Sid

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
step away from harley SE performance compoments if you seek true.perforrmance. your bike probaby already has a tuner of some sort.. for an engine that size the numbers are dismal. so
sure it's more fun than stock, but well below what it could be...
headwork, more compression and a different cam,, look at Andrews, S&S, woods, redshift.

·
Hopalong
310 Posts
Late model SE bikes make about 105/85 in stock configuration, and pick up about 10/10 tuned with a decent exhaust. Decide on where you normally ride (RPM wise), you can select a cam based on that. If you spend the majority of the time below 3500, then the TTS100 may be your best bet. If you prefer to shift @ 4500, look at TTS150 or CR 570.
The SE259E is actually a decent cam, but it really needs 10.8 compression to shine, and you're closer to 9.4.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
a stock Harley that makes 105HP? I would have to watch that bike from the truck thst delivered it to the dealer all the way to the dyno, to believe that,, then I would need to verify the dyno calibrations to insure it wasn't a happy dyno...

·
Super Moderator
20,317 Posts
You need to get away from the dealer. The MoCo is all about EPA compliance these days. And while they doe have some fine parts in the SE lineup, the new tuner is not one of them.

As to what the cam selection should be, it depends is the only answer.

What are you looking to get out of it, more top end power, or more low end torque.
Do you intend to do anything with the cat converter? Put better cans and air breather on it?

As for the tuner, look at the Thunder Max or the Daytona Twin Tec auto tuners. And don't tie yourself to canned EPA maps from the dealer.

·
Hopalong
310 Posts
a stock Harley that makes 105HP? I would have to watch that bike from the truck thst delivered it to the dealer all the way to the dyno, to believe that,, then I would need to verify the dyno calibrations to insure it wasn't a happy dyno...
Never said 105 HP- I said 105/85, which means 105 Torque and 85 Horsepower. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Sorry, I always read the UP as the first #, ths ts the way my dyno is set up,,, if I would have thought I would have known it was backwards,,, my apologies for the mistake

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You need to get away from the dealer. The MoCo is all about EPA compliance these days. And while they doe have some fine parts in the SE lineup, the new tuner is not one of them.

As to what the cam selection should be, it depends is the only answer.

What are you looking to get out of it, more top end power, or more low end torque.
Do you intend to do anything with the cat converter? Put better cans and air breather on it?

As for the tuner, look at the Thunder Max or the Daytona Twin Tec auto tuners. And don't tie yourself to canned EPA maps from the dealer.
Originally, before I set out on this adventure, I had the stock SE hi-flow air cleaner on it (not sure how hi-flow it actually is lol, but yeah...) and some 4.5" high flow RCX slip-on mufflers. I did have the Vance&Hines FuelPak3 on it, but took it off right before I brought it into the dealer. Reason being was that they were going to do a pre-upgrade dyno run on it and I wanted to see what it could do without it, as close to stock as possible without removing the mufflers.

It got some halfway respectable numbers on the dyno for a stock bike....89.22hp @ 3500 RPM and 105.87tq @ 4950 RPM. The graph line was pretty straight across the top and made my wonder why I was even messing with it.

So here's what I ended up putting into it. The SE 585 cam (with new lifters and adj. pushrods), higher compression pistons 10.5:1, a Fullsac header pipe 2:1:2 to also lose the cat converter, an Arless Ness true Hi-Flow air cleaner, and when it goes back to the tuning guy (NOT the dealership), he will install a PowerCommander (or PowerVision?) tuner and adjust the AFR back to where it should be so it will access all of the available power.

I'm also got new suspension, front and rear. Legends Revo and Axeo. I hear such great things about them. I sure hope they live up at least close to the hype.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if it'll let me add this or not, but here's my dyno run from before any changes were made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts