V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a couple pictures up to ask if these look worn to you. But I’m getting one slow crank then the solenoid drops out and clicks(Every time). I checked the voltage on battery and I’m at 12.2v I put it on the trickle charger anyways while I’m at work. I cleaned connections everywhere I could but battery box removal is so labor intensive for this bike I just used some spray degreaser and wire brush. Any suggestions???
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Flash photography
Finger Gesture Automotive tire Thumb Nail
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Flash photography
Finger Gesture Automotive tire Thumb Nail

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sounds like a weak battery. Sitting voltage of 12.2 does not indicate a healthy battery. What does it read when trying to start? Get it load tested to eliminate the weakest link in the system- the battery.
There's so many parts you can replace but start at square one.
Also, you shouldn't be leaving it on a trickle charger, use a battery tender.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yep, better to show us a pic of your 12.2 batt, Since you're somewhere in the 50-60% charge range. If that. There aren't any shortcuts. It all starts with the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well good news is its running after i wire brushed all connections and put batt on charge now to fix the violent sounds of knocking im hearing

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
that sol contact set is done...get a sol rebuild kit...or clean up the contact faces and plunger to delay getting a new kit...easy job....i just did mine w/o pulling the exhaust to get the starter away....a bit of a hassle..unless u can get it thru the pipes and the frame....easier to pull the starter out and bench it to do the job....to do the starter clutch you must bench it tho to rip it completly apart...the knocking is prob the compensator nut loose and /or the rotor is now warped rapping on somepin...good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts