V-Twin Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a 103" 2014 Heritage have a govenor? What is the top speed? Please help end this argument.

·
Registered
174 Posts
They have a rev limiter and in 6th gear there is a speed limiter. I doubt if you could actually reach the speed limiter on the road. It is possible on the dyno. TTS overrides the speed limiter---SESPT does not.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
They have a rev limiter and in 6th gear there is a speed limiter. I doubt if you could actually reach the speed limiter on the road. It is possible on the dyno. TTS overrides the speed limiter---SESPT does not.
I don't think there is a speed limiter. However, there is a limit that the cruise control will work.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,768 Posts
Yeah, it's called "physics".

+1 That's for sure. Educated guess is 110 mph. These bikes are just not made for speed.
I would say that might even be a slightly generous educated guess.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think there is a speed limiter. However, there is a limit that the cruise control will work.
The cruise control limit has nothing to do with the speed limiter. As I stated, you won't reach the speed limiter on the road but I've seen it many times on the dyno.
Ever noticed that dyno runs on 6th gear always stop at around 5800 rpm? Same run in 5th gear will go to the preset rev limit (normally 6000+ if the bike has been tuned). That is the speed limiter working. TTS overrides this function.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The cruise control limit has nothing to do with the speed limiter. As I stated, you won't reach the speed limiter on the road but I've seen it many times on the dyno.
Ever noticed that dyno runs on 6th gear always stop at around 5800 rpm? Same run in 5th gear will go to the preset rev limit (normally 6000+ if the bike has been tuned). That is the speed limiter working. TTS overrides this function.
I have to agree with HAWGZILLA on this one. I have never found anything related to a speed limiter while reading about Harleys but they definitely have a rev limiter programmed into the ECM. If you hit it in 6th gear then that is the fastest you can physically ride your bike. Of course there are other factors controling your speed such as drag, air density and road surface but lets face it... Its a Harley, how fast do you really need to be going.

Case in point. I recently decided to try and see how fast my Street Glide would go. The needle tops out at 120mph and the bike was still accelerating past it before I decided to cut the throttle. I was at about 5000 rpm with a strong wind behind me and estimate my speed at about 123-125mph when the speed wobble began.

My point is, I have learned that these bikes were not built for those kinds of speeds. Be careful out there.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
My FLHX tops out at 105 mph. It is a TC 96. That's why I figured that the 103 would have to be good for 110. I can't picture one doing 120 but what do I know? I've never tried with a 103.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is only a '07 SG with a 96ci stage 1. I have a friend with '12 RG 103ci that claims to have had it at 240km/h. Again, a stock harley has no business going that fast in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok yesterday i found a limiter on my 2014 E-glide limited ... during a 6th gear full throttle run down the freeway on level pavement as the speedo touched 120 mph it popped or kicked or Im not sure what... I let off and brought it down to 75ish and continued on but the more I thought about it the angrier I got ... I know 120 is too fast and one hell of a ticket but is it H-D's right to say I cant go faster??

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOW there are some cccrazy folks out there, I'm always scared of a deer or other unknown coming out at the last minute to go over 70 yet others are fearless.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
... I know 120 is too fast and one hell of a ticket but is it H-D's right to say I cant go faster??
I would venture to say that the engineers and designers would have every right to say that they shouldn't go over 120, at least they would be the ones that know the capabilities of their product. Also pretty sure that there would be some kind of liability there if they made a bike that could go faster than what it could safely (term used loosely) handle.

I've had my RK to 110...ONCE...only to see if it could and now I know.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Most of us were young and dumb once and had to see how fast everything we had would go. Thankfully most of us got past it. I can assure you that a deer can ruin your day at 60 MPH too....

Think about how many people out there that spend big $$ to get more GO and never even think about more WHOA!

I agree that physics dictates the top speed. The rev limiter is likely set higher than the physical limits of the bike on the road. Cars and trucks also have top end limits placed on them as well. You can thank big Gov't for that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
WOW there are some cccrazy folks out there, I'm always scared of a deer or other unknown coming out at the last minute to go over 70 yet others are fearless.
I'm with you. If there really is such a thing as a speed limiter HD should set it up to 90 mph max. It's obvious there are some new riders out there that don't know these bikes are are for cruising, have the wobble, old suspension design, etc. Anyone taking one of these ancient creatures past 100 mph, in stock form, is asking for trouble.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.