V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok posted this on another forum but never got a reply. I found a 2012 Superglide front rim and tire on ebay. A new takeoff. I want to know if there's a way to put it on my 06 883c. I want to get away from the 21" front tire.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
You can pretty much put any tire/rim on anything, just the amount of "fitting" will vary. IIRC the 2012 FXD uses the same 19" rim it's had for a long time. Dunno what's on the Sporty. You might have to use spacers to center it up and the axle diameters might be different. No big deal.

You might get lucky though and it will center, the rotor/caliper will be aligned and the axle's are the same. If the FXD and Sporty have the same forks, I don't see why anything would differ. The only other thing I can think of is the height of the new tire compared to the old and how it will look relative to the fender.

You can go on the Dunlop M'cycle site and look up OEM tires, and it will give you their height. I think if they're within a 1/2 it should look alright. If not, you might have to lower your fender a little.

It's not rocket science. Just measure everything, use common sense and go for it. It's not hard either. I'm no wrench and just an avg guy with tools, but I bumped up a size on my rear and it came out exactly as I'd measured re clearance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Not sure about axle diameter on the 2012 FXD. That's my main concern. I know my tire is 27.2 new and the tire on the rim is 26.57 by the specs. I just want to make sure there's a way to make it work before I bid on something.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
You can change the bearings to fit whatever the axle. For example, I have a 3/4 axle but the rim I fitted came with 1" bearings. Just replaced them with 3/4.

It's subjective, but the front fender might look odd. If so, dunno why you couldn't just drill new holes in the fender where it bolts to the forks by a corresponding amount and cut or trim the fender tabs as-needed. That's what I was getting at earlier.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Unless the overall height (OD) of the tire/wheel assy is the same, it's gonna change your handling (and not for the better) unless you lower the rear a corresponding amount, which will not do good things for the ride quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts