V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who just purchased a 2012 Street Glide and twice now while riding at highway speed the engine just loses power. The engine doesn't die it just drops to an idle and the throttle isn't responsive. Once she comes to a stop and shuts the bike off and restarts it returns to normal. My first thought is something to do with the fly by wire, but who knows. She's taking it in on Tuesday but we were wondering if anyone has ever encountered this or had any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks
Stan

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I have a friend who just purchased a 2012 Street Glide and twice now while riding at highway speed the engine just loses power. The engine doesn't die it just drops to an idle and the throttle isn't responsive. Once she comes to a stop and shuts the bike off and restarts it returns to normal. My first thought is something to do with the fly by wire, but who knows. She's taking it in on Tuesday but we were wondering if anyone has ever encountered this or had any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks
Stan
frequent topic on this forum. Dealer has specific procedure to identify issues. Can be pretty scary to lose power in dense traffic. She should not ride the thing

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Between my '11 and 12' I have put 10k miles between them and haven't had a problem. Haven't heard of one either. What I read that after so many miles (don't know the number) they have to clean the tbw contacts? on certain bikes. I would suggest she doesn't ride it. While she has it in I would have them do the brake light switch recall...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just adding my 2 cents in case someone stumbles upon this looking for an answer to their loss of power and/or loss of throttle control issues with a setup like mine... My 2008 Ultra at about 50K miles did the same thing on the highway, loosing power yet still running without throttle response. I was in the middle of nowhere so I had to do something to get back home. The first thing I did was unplugged the V&H Power Commander and luckily that fixed it. -Sigh of relief- I ran off the stock ECM for about a week returning to home before trying the Power Commander again. Plugged the PC back into things and it has ran fine since then, about two years, until it did it again today. The PC was unplugged and factory ECM was connected directly again, fixing the problem. I'm beginning to think that the PC plug vibrates its way out. I don't think there is a problem with the PC itself, just the plug where it splices its way in between the ECM and the bike's harness. Will know later this week when I troubleshoot it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm just adding my 2 cents in case someone stumbles upon this looking for an answer to their loss of power and/or loss of throttle control issues with a setup like mine... My 2008 Ultra at about 50K miles did the same thing on the highway, loosing power yet still running without throttle response. I was in the middle of nowhere so I had to do something to get back home. The first thing I did was unplugged the V&H Power Commander and luckily that fixed it. -Sigh of relief- I ran off the stock ECM for about a week returning to home before trying the Power Commander again. Plugged the PC back into things and it has ran fine since then, about two years, until it did it again today. The PC was unplugged and factory ECM was connected directly again, fixing the problem. I'm beginning to think that the PC plug vibrates its way out. I don't think there is a problem with the PC itself, just the plug where it splices its way in between the ECM and the bike's harness. Will know later this week when I troubleshoot it.
I have my Power Commander tie-wrapped so it can't shake loose.
Put it on in 2008.... no problems.
Hope your fix is easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure about your scoot, but your description of that failure sounds like what the manual (on my 08 Ultra) describes as a problem with the "fly-by-wire" throttle. If there is an issue it goes into a "limp" mode.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My friend had this problem and the fix (after replacing numerous items) was the connector going to the throttle body stepper motor. It is the one on the back of the throttle body usually has a 4 pin single row, right behind the air cleaner. Newer design connector fixed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts