V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Used to hang out awhile back in the softail section. Im going to the dealer Sunday and finally step up and trade my Deluxe in on a 2012 Limited. I read that these run REAL hot and are very much detuned. Im wanting to add SE air cleaner, Vance and Hines Power Duals with either Monster rounds or ovals with a Race Tuner to increase torque and power. Wanting to stay away from cams right now. Any comments from riders with 2012's. Will the changes I make be noticeable and if these do actually run hot, will this help temperature issues. Ive been wanting to do this for awhile and am crazy excited as is my girl who will finally be able to ride in comfort.

I appreciate any input ya'll may have

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I have the 10, which I'm pretty sure is the same bike as far as this topic goes. Did the basic same thing you are going to do.SEAC, Jackpot 2/1/2 with their muffs and a TTS. It helps dramatically with the power and heat. Getting the cat out of there and getting the A/F's where they need to be is all the bike needs.
You'll still feel some heat, since the bike has the fairing and leg guards, but nothing like stock. The key will be a good tune, which I doubt you'll get from the dealer, they'll probably plug in their epa map and that's it. Do they have a dyno? It needs to be set up in open loop mode with the Lambdas fattened up to about .960-.921, or 14.1-13.5 A/F, once the VE's have been calibrated.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there is a local dealer with a real good tuner who comes highly recommended from surrounding states.....as well as Custom Performance Cycles who also has a excellent tuner.....So hopefully he'll nail it.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Limited

I have a 2010 TK with filter,pro pipe and super tuner. Download did not cut it had dyno and she stopped pinging and cooled down. Cams head work up next , funds holding me back now .

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought a 2012 Limited today... Asked the salesman about necessary upgrades to prevent the same heat I had on the '08 Ultra Classic. He said "There are oil coolers and thigh guards now, heat isn't an issue any more.
Not trying to hijack the thread, just amused that my $25,000 was purchased on a lie.

;/

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
They are programmed to tell you that. Ask him what he rides and did he leave it alone... If he did, he's stupid, if he didn't, he's a lier

·
Registered
169 Posts
...Will the changes I make be noticeable and if these do actually run hot, will this help temperature issues. Ive been wanting to do this for awhile and am crazy excited as is my girl who will finally be able to ride in comfort.

I appreciate any input ya'll may have
I have a 2012 Ultra (came from an '08 UC) and noticed a large amount of the heat comes from the cat (just below the passenger's foot rest).

Sitting for a few seconds is enough to create "oven-like" heat on the right side (the cat is getting up to and beyond 1000 degrees regardless of the tune).

Your "upgrades" will help to cool the motor (if done correctly) but will do little to nothing for the heat from the cat.

Until the cat is out of the equation, you'll have to live with the heat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Check out Kuryakyn's Perfect Storm kit. It has your headpipes and mufflers, a/c, and the TTS MasterTune.

Headpipes/muffler combo are sourced from Vance & Hines (true duals), and the kit is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than buying them separately. I put the kit on my TriGlide (basically an Ultra with trike back end), and have been very pleased. No heat issues, responsive throttle, and a solid exhaust note.

Check out the videos on YouTube.

Not trying to pimp the product, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AZ,

I bought my 2012 Limited in mid August, the hottest time of the year in WA. We had a stretch of 90+ weather and the heat coming from the cats was almost unbearable for me and my passenger. I also got a significant amount of pinging on hot days when I was riding at highway speeds. The dealer told me that this was common and that it would not be as bad when the weather cooled down. The issue was definetly more tolerable in cooler weather. Since your in AZ, you may experience this issue most of the year. I did a similar mod 2 weeks ago; removed the stock exhaust and cats; replaced with VH power duals, monster ovals, Arlen Ness big sucker a/c, and a race tuner, and VH throttle pak. I have noticed a significant decrease in heat and the pinging is totally gone. The bike also sounds great, but does not interfere with the stereo for me or my passenger, just a nice rumble...

Enjoy the new bike!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts