V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really strange issue with my Fat Bob. It is slightly modded with V&H Short shots, K&N high flow filter assembly, Andrews 57h cams and V&H Fuelpak tuner and tuned for mods. Today it started just fine and idled normally, but when I twisted the throttle the neutral light went off along with the speedometer light. The idle then began to climb and when I looked at the fuelpak all of its lights were off. When I pulled the codes it showed ECU comm failure and high voltage to speedometer. I re-flashed, cranked again, idle was fine then barely twisted the throttle again dash lights went off and fuelpak lost connection, did this 3 times with same codes. Re-flashed to factory settings and disconnected the fuelpak. Tried again same results and codes. Could I have a bad ECU or something else I’m missing?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
I would look for a bad or dirty connection related to your install of the fuel pack.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
if your getting a high voltage code I would check battery voltage when your giving it gas , its possible you could have a voltage regulator issue and be over charging .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I check the voltage at the battery while it was idling and it was at 18 volts and climbing. I’m assuming this is way too high and I have a bad regulator, could that be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
18 volts is high voltage.Did you check with an accurate voltage meter or multimeter? If your readings are accurate then check for good and clean connections first.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
18 is way to high , running you should see approx. 13.5-14V , there was a recall on the 2012 models for a voltage regulator issue , you may want to see if yours was done or was included in the recall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help, put on a new regulator and everything is working great, 14.4 volts at idle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts