V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rented a 2011 Road King Classic last week when I visited Arizona.
My bike is 2003 Electra Glide Classic and I was really surprised at the lack of power of the new Road King. This was the 103 cubic inch six speed. Totally stock,but still. My 88 cubic inch Stage 1 EG was much faster off the line. I would say the Road King cruises nicely at 80-85 mph , but it takes some time to hit that speed. Of course it goes without saying that this 2011 was so quiet you'd hardly know it was a Harley. Seems a shame to spend $20K on a new bike knowing that another $1300 for a Stage One upgrade is immediately necessary. I will say this, the ABS Bremco brakes were nice and the bike is a beauty.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
The gearing on the new bikes is very tall. Makes them turn less rpms so as to pollute less, but kills the pep. Especially when starting off.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
It's the lag in the throttle by wire that makes it seem slow.
Possible. If so, this is something that can be adjusted with a good tuner along with stage one. The new 103s are dogs in stock form. Put a stage one and cam in there and it's a completely different bike. Nothing wrong with a stock 103 - and the power is plenty for most people. Nothing new - stock Harleys have been dogs since i can remember. If you want to unleashe the power all you have to do is open your wallet.

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
Miles to go your so right about that I had to spend $2600 boss fat cats Alin Ness AC SE 254 cam TTS and a great tune by doc, she made 103 TQ at 3200. No valve train noise its as smooth as stock if not smoother

1 - 6 of 6 Posts