V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
2009 RoadGlide, 107 build
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a buddy take his 09 Ultra in for some service, and the tech noticed his front tire (which had 10,000 miles) and said do you want me to change out your front tire. It's at no cost to you its a recall on the stock front tires. The tread was causing the wear to be on one side more than the other. I took my bike in two days ago (2009 Road Glide) Got a brand new tire on it too. Just wanted to pass that along.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a buddy take his 09 Ultra in for some service, and the tech noticed his front tire (which had 10,000 miles) and said do you want me to change out your front tire. It's at no cost to you its a recall on the stock front tires. The tread was causing the wear to be on one side more than the other. I took my bike in two days ago (2009 Road Glide) Got a brand new tire on it too. Just wanted to pass that along.
I took my Ultra in this past Wednesday for the tank recall and had them look at the front tire for the recall. I have just over 6000 miles on the tire and it's cupping. The cupping wasn't that visually noticable until I ran my hand over it and noticed the difference in height from the top of the V pattern to just after it. They're ordering a new tire in for me and covering it 100%.:clap:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
So its a recall on Dunlop 407s sold in 2009?

·
Registered
228 Posts
For me, it's the stock tire that came on my '09 Ultra. And from what my dealer showed me, they're using a sliding scale to decide what coverage they offer; 100% or 50% or nothing, if I understood correctly it depended on mileage and tire wear (on the good tread not the cuppedout part).
I'll have to check the letter again when I get home tonight.

I'm happy with Harley covering it, since both my past Hondas front tires cupped badly no matter what brand of tire I used.

·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had 6000 miles on my Road Glide. They replaced it and at no cost.

·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is they replaced the front tire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes the recall/bulliten is on the 407's.The 408's are fine as of right now but basically all that happed the the patter got put the opposite direction from the 407 and also a better compund.Dunlop is also releasing a A/E (American Elite) which is supposed to be even better they say but will not be sold thru HD direct it will be tru Drag Specialites and Tucker Rocky as far as I know right now.

HD will replace them as long as the wear is right in the guidelines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they will replace the D407F front tire on my Rocker C? The service bulletin attached covers touring models only.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I had the same issue my local dealer had no idea there was ANY issues with the tires. I bought a front take off 2010 rim tire rotors all brand new for 200 bucks and it wears like a dream.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Kudos to Dan at Chesters HD (service) in Az, took care of the free replacement on my 09 FLHRC, only had 2600 miles on the tire, but it was cupping mildly.

·
RFTW
44 Posts
Recall 407f tire

I have an 09 flhtcu with less than 1700 miles on it. I have complained about a vibration since the 400 mile mark. The tire tread is going in the opposite direction of the rear tire, plus it's cupping on the left side of the tire.
I've asked Carson City H/D to take a look at it 6 times now. They keep telling me there's nothing wrong. Funny thing is if it's a customer pay there all over it.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I read through this thread yesterday morning and decided to print off the TSB, along with the recall letter I got for the gas tank mount. Went off to the dealer and handed both items to the SM. They had never seen any information on the tire issue, and didn't really know what to look for. Long and short of it, I'm getting a new tire once it comes in. He took the wear measurements and asked me if I had a vibration problem. Obviously I said yes. That was all it took.

I only have 6700 miles on the tire and you could barely feel where the front groove was wearing lower than the back side. I doubt that I would have ever noticed this without stumbling across this thread. I really don't have any vibration or noise that is noticeable at this point. But my warranty is over in a month so figured might as well get it done now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similiar problem with the front tire on my '09 roadglide. Had it replaced in Idaho Falls at full price. When I got back to Florida, I spoke with my dealer about the problem and they contacted the MOCO and gave me a 231 dollar store credit to make me whole.
The tread design was backwards.

·
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter
753 Posts
From what I've read, Harley wanted the tread pattern that way, Dunlop did not, we now see who has to foot the bill for bad engineering decisions.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts